Experiences after upgrading from WP 8.1 to W10M 10586.29

decentdude02

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Please share your experiences after upgrading your phone from windows phone 8.1 to windows 10 mobile 10586.29.

It could be issues, upgrade hassles, post upgrade hiccups.. Please share anything you have..

Btw I'm using a Lumia 930 as my main phone.. Just want to know before I upgrade to windows 10 mobile..

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded on my Lumia 830. I've been using my iPhone 6 lately but haven't picked it up since. I haven't experienced any bugs that I've seen yet. It is fast and smooth. I like how it integrates my work email and calendar. New upgrades to weather app, etc. are nice. I really have nothing negative to say.

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The battery drains pretty damn fast. I have to charge my Lumia 1520 everyday when I used to do it every 2 to 3 days with WP8.1.

Apps that kills the battery the most:

WhatsApp
Edge
Camera
Any image edition app
Some others

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Updated my 920 from 8.1 with no issues. A few little niggling things, like being a bit slower and the crappy month view in Calendar, etc. but no real problems

Bobcat665

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded my L830 soon after I got it, recently. Mind you, I did a full hard reset after install and I did not restore any data because that seems to be par for the course when it comes to new OS releases IF you want your device to even have a snowball's chance in h*ll of working properly and reasonably bug-free. Things may not be perfect but the device is quite usable. Sure W10 is still a little rough around the edges but it is more-or-less feature complete: It mostly only needs polishing and tuning, IMHO. Let's just remember that this is still in the final stages of beta, right?

decentdude02

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded on my Lumia 830. I've been using my iPhone 6 lately but haven't picked it up since. I haven't experienced any bugs that I've seen yet. It is fast and smooth. I like how it integrates my work email and calendar. New upgrades to weather app, etc. are nice. I really have nothing negative to say.

Please share whether you restored your 8.1 data or started off scratch with windows 10 mobile??

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Been using the build before 10586.11 on my L920 daily driver. At first, I didn't hard reset after installing. The phone was going hot, battery draining quiet fast, lagged here and there. Not sure I used it up to 2hrs and I had to hard reset without restoring data and since then, it's been smooth rides all the way till the current 10586.29 build. Everything works. Well except for the heating and battery drain when data connection is turned ON but I'm thinking it's tied to the device being old (going to 4 years now) and battery weak (never changed the battery). I had this heating and battery drain when data is turned ON back in 8.1 that's why I think it has to do with the device's age.

Rob Betts

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
A couple of months backI tried an earlier version of W10 on my Lumia 925 under the insider preview, I went back to 8.1 after only a few hours as it was draining the battery and sluggish in operation. I have now tried again with the latest release and have no problems apart from maybe taking a second or two longer to open apps. Once open most apps I've tried work fine. Very happy with things as they are now and the battery seems to be lasting better between charges.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung ATIV S and I got 10536 then hacked the registry to get 10586.29. The performance-wise is really a huge improvement over 10536 and close to 8.1 gdr3. Battery drain a bit faster than 8.1 but improved a lot during standby, I can get almost two day battrey-life under light usage through my two years old battery and that's kind of impressive. The store is faster to response (able to use it without getting rage lol), yet still easy to get error code if you just lock the screen during download and I guess it's something to do with the strict power governor. I don't feel much change about the quantity and quality of apps, still there's a lot of old and ugly apps looks like coming from the age of iPhone 3g/HTC hero stay on the top of free/top rating apps list and it's just disgusting to even look at. However I do love the new UI over the old one, the transparent tiles/4 volume layout/font makes it more mature and polished. With the UI change from swipe to hamburger/swipe/whatever mixed style, the apps seems not ready to make a full use of it and sometimes slow down the operational flow. However the edge browser sucks at both w10/w10m, lot of reloading/no response in some heavy-loading Web pages (like this site, it's painful to use through edge). Third-party browser blows edge away easily.

Overall I feel it's ready to be a daily driver, yet I don't feel much difference over 8.1 in terms of UX. Not sure it's a good sign of not.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I came from Samsung ATIV S "WP8.1 update 1" to MS Lumia 950 XL "Win10M 10586.0" I did my update to 10586.29 in Canada by doing a hard rest, did a backup first! Hard reset then updated to 10586.29 then restored my backup.

The phone seems more responsive and faster but don't know if it was from the hard reset or the .29 update improvements'? My Tim Horton's app finally working under .29 update bonus points for fixing some backwards compatibles....

MS Minecraft game still not working under my new 950 XL very annoying.

The need a better graphics drivers support for the new Adreno 430 & 418, drivers obviously are not optimized yet!

My Adreno 430 should destroy my old Adreno 225 in the same game's but not happening?

Can't wait for Redstone major update "Win10.1M" next August.

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey, how did you upgrade you Ativ S to W10 safely ? Few months ago an updade via the insider program was available, and ithe update made the phone reboot in a loop process...

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi GrandGerminator, my phone automatically download the leak 10536 and I just give it a shot then nothing bad happened. I stay in 10536 for a while then I did a hard reset (don't know why) and it just destroyed my phone (no setting, no store, just keep telling me to download them...it seems that these core functions are more like separate apps than bundle into the core of the OS?). Then I just roll back to 8.1 and did a registry hack (you can follow the "windows 10" thread at ATIV S session) and I got 10586.

dev_sec

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1520.3 - no problems at all. If you don't mind spending a little time re-configuring, I highly recommend a factory reset afterwards though.

DracShadow

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
heavy battery drain while using the 535 on w10 only whatsapp installed. nothing else enabled to sync/run in the background and reports sent to ms are set to min yet data disappeared (im on whatsapp unlimited plan for few cents) *not impressed

wp8.1 does not have this issue, nor is there battery drain and can chat for quite a very long time (almost full working day) with 44% to spare.
====

then theres the data usage app, with no way to reset the wifi counter ????? WTF ? thats like a half baked bread. otherwise the app is awesome.
Callblocker still does not work.

Random FC on when navigating the menus and tapping on a setting, send you back to apps list menu.

These have of course been reported where possible.

Overall : wp10 for 535 is 97% complete. If they can just work on these iffy issues that would be great :) Very cool OS.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes