Is windows 10 mobile's latest build stable as a daily driver?

yashovardhan99

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm using a Lumia 640 on 8.1 as my daily driver currently.i don't have a good enough spare smartphone and my Wi-Fi 📶 data is also limited
Under those circumstances will it be good enough for me to download insider preview on my mobile, is it stable enough to be a daily driver? Are any of you guys facing any issues and what are the features lagging from 8.1? Thanks.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
nobody can give you a yes or no answer, some people find it good, some find it terrible, I find it meh, my 928 handles it fine for what I do with it, mostly chatting and browsing, if you have used a w10 pc then you know what to expect, apps that like to crash for no apparent reason and so on, I wonder what you want to do with w10m specifically, I cant find anything worthwhile coming from 8.1 other than being "up to date" on all my devices, in a word, its just a sidestep, not an upgrade

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Well it all depends on which device your on, on 1520 its just fine aside from certain email glitches and wonky swipe, auto correct texting blows. Camera is smooth, try it then you'll know if its for you.

Felix Wong

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Been running Build 10586.36 on my Lumia 640 XL for three days now. It's been super stable--more so than 8.1 for me, in which I had one app (the Messaging app; the most important one!) frequently crashed. Very fast and everything is working, including projecting to Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, connecting to Surface Pro 4 via USB, swiping, camera with living images, voice recognition, even texting through phone from PC using Cortana!

I created a video comparing the Windows Phone 8.1 experience versus Windows 10 Mobile on the phone:
https://youtu.be/XkMbbg8ukpQ

Basically it's just a video showing opening the exact same apps but in the two operating system. Windows 10 Mobile seems faster with better multi-taskinig. It's less "artsy" than Windows Phone 7/8/8.1 was but I am enjoying the interface. It is more intuitive and utilizes the screen real estate of the Lumia 640 XL much better.

vperriello

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Good enough for daily use. I recharge every night (though it seems usage issues are in the past) and I shut down while on charge (which reboots). Maybe I don't even need that... But I think it's helpful. Fitbit won't sync. Bluetooth text (incoming) mostly works. Since for me that is WM killer app, I pay close attention to it.

yashovardhan99

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I created a video comparing the Windows Phone 8.1 experience versus Windows 10 Mobile on the phone:
https://youtu.be/XkMbbg8ukpQ

Basically it's just a video showing opening the exact same apps but in the two operating system. Windows 10 Mobile seems faster with better multi-taskinig. It's less "artsy" than Windows Phone 7/8/8.1 was but I am enjoying the interface. It is more intuitive and utilizes the screen real estate of the Lumia 640 XL much better.

Really appreciate your video... It was the first providing differences in this form... Really liked it however, I've decided to wait for the general release

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
.29 was excellent. Have a 950 and was in the insider. .36 was horrible for me. Could be a corrupt install but after literally 5 refreshes (wipes and setups) decided to revert back to .00 and upgrade to .29 and not restore so I had a completely fresh experience. It has been challenging few days by I loved .29 and W10M. Few annoyances that really are so simple that they should not exist. But overall very happy.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I finally bit the bullet and installed it on my daily driver, a Verizon 735. I had been playing around with it on an older 822 I had laying around. While it's not perfect, it is very usable and stable (so far) as my main phone and I don't have any regrets about installing it.

I had a few minor issues after installing but was able to work through them and get the phone running fairly well. I couldn't move offline maps to the sd card and the store was borked. Deleting and re-downloading the maps fixed the first problem and rebooting the phone fixed the store. The only real problem I have now is notifications aren't working the way I had them set up in 8.2 and I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't want to perform a hard reset just yet if I can avoid it, though I'm not going to rule it out. So the bottom line is it seems quite usable.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I was very cynical and negative about 10M at first, it was quite bad. After a hard reset on .11 and using .29 and .36 as DD on a 1020/640. I would say its just fine as a DD, got a few quirks but nothing that isn't a deal breaker, at this point I would say that 10 is the way to go on a 640. Just do it! lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon