Insider=No Firmware Update

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I decided to get the update thru WDRT.
All my photos and videos were in the SD card so I've decided to take it out during the update.
After the initial download of 3 GB and flashing of the phone, I finally had the new firmware, but the OS was on .11.
And then I started the initial setup. After 7 hours (it had to update 150 apps, download maps, download .29 update) I finished.

I noticed that apart from my Wifi passwords, Windows account and outlook email, the alarms and the start screen, I had to re do all the remaining setup on apps that I use (facebook, microsoft authenticator, ebay, amazon etc).
Also I lost some stuff that I needed and forgot to backup.
After all this the question is ... was it worth it?

If you are after the camera the answer is yes. The camera is much improved.
The phone runs cooler after the update but the battery is the same as before. I still lose 1% every 20 mins on standby. So if you do it for the battery you wont see any improvement.
As for the other fixes, I didn't notice anything different.

Last edited:

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
You could have saved some time by just doing a factory reset, which doesn't restore an old version of the OS, and then got the firmware via WU.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to do it anymore.
They fixed the Windows Insider app. When you un-enroll, it puts you back into production update servers.

If only I knew it before wiping my phone....

I just the post about that. Now they just have to fix the store so I can get the update. There's something on another site saying it is being worked on.

I may decide to uninstall and reinstall if it doesn't resolve soon.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to do it anymore.
They fixed the Windows Insider app. When you un-enroll, it puts you back into production update servers.

If only I knew it before wiping my phone....

Yep, but be aware that this un-enrolls your MSA account from the Insider program, which removes your "Insider since x" badge. (And will also impact getting Insider builds on other devices.)

So you can avoid a hard-reset, at the cost of your Insider history. MS has said that they are thinking about adding an option to just turn off Insider builds but not leave the Insider program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes