As far as I know these countries have cortana:
    USA - US English
    UK - British English
    Spain -Spanish
    Germany - German
    Italy - Italian
    China - Mandarin I believe
    France - French

now because of colonialism, a good number of countries adopted the same language such as Kenya adopting British English, Algeria with French, Mexico with Spanish

So why can't we get cortana even though we speak the same language?
    01-27-2016 07:31 AM
    Governments and regulations.
    01-27-2016 07:35 AM
    Accents, dialects and regional variations will have a lot to do with it too. Nominally, I speak the same language as a Scot as those from the US, Canada (parts of), Australia, South Africa (parts of) and the Republic of Ireland as well as the rest of the UK, and no doubt many more I haven't mentioned.

However, all of these places have different accents, inflections and regional variations, and the same will be true of other languages, such as Spanish or Portuguese, that are used in multiple countries
    01-27-2016 10:47 AM
    The understanding of "normal" words is not a problem. Like " What is the time" etc.
    But the local "names" for example towns / streets / placed / surnames is the difficulty. Cortana needs to "understand" them and needs to "know" how to pronounce them. And should it be in "English" or the "local language".
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-27-2016 02:44 PM
    Accents, dialects and regional variations will have a lot to do with it too. Nominally, I speak the same language as a Scot as those from the US, Canada (parts of), Australia, South Africa (parts of) and the Republic of Ireland as well as the rest of the UK, and no doubt many more I haven't mentioned.

However, all of these places have different accents, inflections and regional variations, and the same will be true of other languages, such as Spanish or Portuguese, that are used in multiple countries
    Some places don't have accents.
    01-27-2016 10:28 PM
    The understanding of "normal" words is not a problem. Like " What is the time" etc.
    But the local "names" for example towns / streets / placed / surnames is the difficulty. Cortana needs to "understand" them and needs to "know" how to pronounce them. And should it be in "English" or the "local language".
    Nairobi is Nairobi, irrespective of whether spoken in English or Kiswahili
    01-27-2016 10:28 PM
    Some places don't have accents.
    What place doesn't have an accent ?
    01-28-2016 02:05 AM
    What place doesn't have an accent ?
    Many I should believe. Or at least the accents are so minor as to be indistinguishable.
    01-29-2016 04:22 AM
    It's not just based on language. Cortana depends on many data feeds being in place to give relevant results. There's a lot of local regulations and agreements to be drawn up and ratified. This becomes more difficult where Google have snapped up rights to data providers.

So, the problem isn't language, it's local infrastructure and legalities.
    01-29-2016 04:27 AM
    It's not just based on language. Cortana depends on many data feeds being in place to give relevant results. There's a lot of local regulations and agreements to be drawn up and ratified. This becomes more difficult where Google have snapped up rights to data providers.

So, the problem isn't language, it's local infrastructure and legalities.
    You're right I should think. Another thing would be reliability and relevance of local data. I'm imagining some of the data that Cortana sources for you like the nearest restaurant or the best route to take wouldn't work in most countries because local mapping data isn't up to date and extensive.

Just the other day I checked maps for the route between points A and B in Nairobi. Imagine my surprise to see it was 13km when walking and 3.2km when driving. How? In which situation can the walking distance be more than driving distance? I went using the driving route since that should also be the walking route and I got to where I needed to.
    01-29-2016 05:01 AM
    Here in the UK, people aren't allowed to walk along motorways or major roads, and Cortana's walking directions takes this into account. This is a good example of why the accuracy of local information is so important.
    01-29-2016 05:05 AM
    Or local weather data. The few times I have checked local weather for the next day have turned out to be wrong or underestimated. Heavy showers expected tomorrow turned out to be a blazing hot day. Rains expected across several towns and cities came to nothing
    01-29-2016 05:06 AM