My phone appears to be insane -- faulty install or is this just how 14295.1005 is?

OrlandoAlex

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
OK, there's a crazy list of symptoms here for my build 10.0.14295.1005 on a Lumia 830, some more baffling than others, please stay with me. I'm exasperated!

In brief:
- Microsoft apps often fail to load when tapped
- Messaging doesn't alert me when I get new messages
- The phone closes most apps when I switch away from them or the phone goes to sleep, and pretends I hadn't been using those apps, which kills multitasking
- The Health and Fitness app worked on its own for two days this week even though it was decommissioned six months ago
- The camera app won't let me share videos, it simply ignores me when I attempt to

The verbose explanation of these symptoms:

Every Microsoft pre-installed app that relies on communicating with a server is unstable. I'm talking about: News, Weather, Money, Store, and probably others. When I open them, frequently I'll get a white screen with a non-functional hamburger button in the top left. Nothing loads, it just stays this way. If I exit it and try again, sometimes it loads, but usually it doesn't and I just don't get to use that app for a while. Mind you, other apps access the internet just fine. This isn't a connectivity issue.

The Messaging app spontaneously stopped notifying me when I get new texts. I still get new texts. I just don't get a chirp, a vibe, or any visual indication outside of the app itself that I have messages waiting. This started a couple of days ago, not long after updating to this build (10.0.14295.1005). I have to open the app to see if I have new messages, otherwise I would never know.

Possibly most frustrating is that some apps aren't being "remembered" by the App Switcher. When I hold down the back softkey to switch from one app to another, some, and probably most of the apps I've used recently, do not appear. This can even be an app I was just in. I'll tap the Start key (the Windows logo key), then hold the back key and pull up the App Switcher, only to find the app I was just in is gone. When I re-open that app it behaves as though I've not used it since my last restart. This behavior also applies to when the display goes to sleep. When I wake up the phone, whatever app I was last using will be closed and pretends I hadn't used it at all.

The Health & Fitness app let me know it was available and interested in helping me monitor my activity using that special motion core right after I installed this build (I was on 8.1 before), and it worked for a couple of days, reporting that I was meeting default fitness goals. I opened it today to check on how I was doing and got the "we've moved, this app is no longer available" message. Researching this, I found that the app was discontinued in November. How was it my phone was using this app for two days this week when it wasn't even supposed to work at all as of six months ago?

The display flickers on occasion, the commonly reported black screen issue.

Anything that involves the Web is crazy slow, as in I'll open a page and it will take 10-15 seconds to load something that took 2-10 seconds with Windows Phone 8.1.

The video function in the Camera app won't let me share videos with anyone. When I tap on the share icon it does nothing, just acts like I didn't tap anything.

Are these issues something I just need to get used to as the "new Windows Phone," or is there a better explanation for all this crazy stuff I'm experiencing, like a buggy installation that needs to be redone? Thank you for your time in considering this!

Last edited:

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: My phone appears to be insane -- faulty install or is this just how W10 Mobile is?

Well you're using a slow ring release which isn't a fully tested/stable build. If you need a stable WM10 build you'll want either use the production ring or release preview ring. You'll have to rollback to 8.1 then use the Windows Insider app to go to either of the previous mentioned rings.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: My phone appears to be insane -- faulty install or is this just how W10 Mobile is?

Did you do a Reset after Upgrade to Redstone builds?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I mean, you'll need a fast SD card. Apps running off a card with slow writespeed will obviously won't be as smooth.

However, if your 830 previously ran apps OK on 8.1, then I'd say a hard reset may solve your phone problems.

OrlandoAlex

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I mean, you'll need a fast SD card. Apps running off a card with slow writespeed will obviously won't be as smooth.

However, if your 830 previously ran apps OK on 8.1, then I'd say a hard reset may solve your phone problems.

Ah, OK. I don't know the speed but it was an inexpensive card so likely not as good as it could be. Is there a transfer rate I should be looking to exceed for the card to be considered good enough to work smoothly?

As for other solutions, based on responses in this thread I've done a hard reset but still seem to be having problems with the apps. I'm trying another hard reset and erasing the apps from the card this time, also setting apps to be only stored internally, and will see if that does any good.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Ah, OK. I don't know the speed but it was an inexpensive card so likely not as good as it could be. Is there a transfer rate I should be looking to exceed for the card to be considered good enough to work smoothly?

As for other solutions, based on responses in this thread I've done a hard reset but still seem to be having problems with the apps. I'm trying another hard reset and erasing the apps from the card this time, also setting apps to be only stored internally, and will see if that does any good.

1- Card must be minimun a 10X or better. Amazon got nice choose, I suggest avoiding Samsung due to too much fake cheap clones on market (even on Amazon :( ). I suggest Lexar, the preferred by professional photo-videomaker. Just price and fast
2 - when upgrading from 8.1, better upgrade WITHOUT restoring a backup. Win10 apps are different from 8 apps. You can install your apps one by one following your Store catalogue

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Hi there! I hope your reset is going well! We've all been there, more than once as well. Are you restoring from a back up?? My advice would be as above, hard reset, but DON'T restore. Let the phone do it's thing by selecting 'start afresh', right down the bottom of your back ups. When the device has finished, go to store and you'll see a shed load of updates. If you click on the 'hamburger' menu (top left) select my library, and all of your apps will be in there.

If you still can't get it to play nicely, then jump on to the Release Preview Ring. it's currently 10586.242. It's very stable and very usable as a daily driver, I'd avoid the Fast / Slow ring at the moment. I tried it on my 950xl. It's good, but it has some 'niggles' to say the least.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
1- Card must be minimun a 10X or better. Amazon got nice choose, I suggest avoiding Samsung due to too much fake cheap clones on market (even on Amazon :( ). I suggest Lexar, the preferred by professional photo-videomaker. Just price and fast
2 - when upgrading from 8.1, better upgrade WITHOUT restoring a backup. Win10 apps are different from 8 apps. You can install your apps one by one following your Store catalogue

That's odd... Your post wasn't there when I replied. Oh well. :confused: Nothing wrong with repetition:grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip