How can I stay on TH2?

eekaspider

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With 10586 I can connect properly with my workplace Exchange server for calendar and mail syncing. Something changed with AU; all versions since 14295 (and most importantly, 14393.x and all of the insider builds so far) claim that my device isn't complaint with workplace group policy. (And no, they aren't going to change the policy for me and my Lumia 640.)

I either need to buy a new phone or find a way to stay on 10586. Unfortunately, since my phone is Redstone capable, all I can do is delay the update to AU a couple of times - I can't prevent it.

Or can I? Is there a registry edit that will either flag my phone as unsupported?

eekaspider

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've seriously thought about that. As a 640 owner, I'm obviously not that concerned about having a powerful phone. But if I'm going to have to change devices (and have no obvious upgrade path with WM) I'll probably just go Android.

However, there are things to try in the meantime. For example, I may be able to edit the same registry key that allows non-upgradable devices to upgrade (HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo) to prevent mine from doing so. I'm going to try that tonight...

eekaspider

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Success!

I used the recovery tool to go back to 8.1, let WU upgrade me to 10586, then immediately sideloaded Interop Tools via the device portal (which is awesome). I then used its registry editor to change:

HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\PhoneManufacturerModelName = RM-893
HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\PhoneModelName = Lumia 925 (probably unnecessary)
HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-893

After a reboot, my "Lumia 925" updated to 10586.545 and isn't being offered 14393. My exchange mail/calendar/contacts are syncing properly and everything else works too. At some point I might undo this and jump back to RS2, but only if I have some evidence that some work has been done to address my problem.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Success!

I used the recovery tool to go back to 8.1, let WU upgrade me to 10586, then immediately sideloaded Interop Tools via the device portal (which is awesome). I then used its registry editor to change:

HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\PhoneManufacturerModelName = RM-893
HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\PhoneModelName = Lumia 925 (probably unnecessary)
HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-893

After a reboot, my "Lumia 925" updated to 10586.545 and isn't being offered 14393. My exchange mail/calendar/contacts are syncing properly and everything else works too. At some point I might undo this and jump back to RS2, but only if I have some evidence that some work has been done to address my problem.

lol that's actually the only necessary edit, I was going to suggest that but you already figured it out, it works for my icon to keep cumulatives away until I know they don't murder battery life or something like that, and just in general I need to control if-when I get updates

there are regedits that can change the updating behavior just like on pc using edit-local-group-policy, that only works on mobile enterprise after AU update, so since you're staying on TH2 that would work for you too, that way you can get app updates too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes