Windows 10 Mobile build 15235 Discussion (Fast Ring)

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
MS

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-build-16251

General changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile

1. This build also includes all the improvements from KB4025342.
  2. We fixed an issue where downloading large apps could report out of disk space when there is sufficient space available.
  3. We fixed an issue where installing apps (particularly games) from the Windows Store would sometimes fail with “Error, see details”.
  4. We fixed an issue where a device could not be unlocked after removing/turning off Windows Hello.
  5. We fixed an issue where Cortana would not provide the region when saying “Your region is set to” and then “Is that right?”.
  6. We fixed a Turkish localization issue where the string “We need to fix your Microsoft account before you can use shared experiences …” was shown in English.

Known issues for Mobile

1. There is a problem with the HP Elite X3 with wired docks where the portrait orientation setting is lost when the external display is disconnected and reconnected. A workaround for this is to reboot the phone after tapping the “OK” button instead of disconnecting and reconnecting. This workaround must be performed every time you connect to an external display you want to use with Continuum in portrait orientation.

This build and version is the latest Redstone 3 (?) build in testing for Mobile Insiders on the Fast Ring.

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things build 15235, discuss it here.

Is your device behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!
[TIP]Here is some useful information you may find yourself needing.
Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.

If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.

Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to the Microsoft FAQ Page for more information.

Make sure you check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support Page as well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.[/TIP]
[INFO]Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.

A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.

A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.

The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.

The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.

The Windows Device Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version[/INFO]
Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.

What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed.
[INFO]When reporting bugs/issues, please also use the Windows Feedback app to report issues directly to Microsoft. Microsoft don't actively read forums looking for people reporting issues when they have a data collection system built right into the operating system. They use WF to analyse numbers and prioritise fixes (issues with more reports, get sorted quicker).

"You can use the Windows Feedback app to tell us which features you love about your Lumia with Windows 10, or when something could be better.
1.To launch the app, swipe over to the App list, and then select Windows Feedback.
2.See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft OneDrive.
3.If you find similar feedback, tap the Upvote or tap on the feedback to open it, write the problem details to Add details-field and tap Send.
4.To narrow your search to a specific topic, you can filter the results by picking the category that matches your feedback the closest. For example, for feedback about the Microsoft OneDrive, select Apps and Games > OneDrive.
5.If you don’t find any similar feedback, tap + to add new feedback. Select the correct category and subcategory from the dropdown-list.
6.Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and tap Send.
[/INFO]

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Getting an error 0x80070020 trying to download. Anyone come across this one before? I did a soft reset, made sure region and language are right and another reboot. I might need to do a hard reset...

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Store live tile still dead. Boo hiss.

Download was very slow for me as well, but proceeded without incident. Hope the excellent standby battery life (for the most part) of the last build continues.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I've installed, too early to give impressions yet.

I've come from build 15228 (having reverted to Slow Ring upon installing that build a few weeks ago) and didn't bother reverting to Fast Ring for 15230. At this stage I'm doing a "one on, one off" (unless I'm having serious issues with a build or the Fast Ring build I'd forgo has something really worth it!).

I've not had any updates for the Microsoft apps for almost two weeks. Out of curiosity, are you all on the same version numbers as I am? I've checked for updates in Store, but none have been found.
mQxnR02.jpg

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Getting an error 0x80070020 trying to download. Anyone come across this one before? I did a soft reset, made sure region and language are right and another reboot. I might need to do a hard reset...

Hard reset sent this IDOL 4s into a boot loop. Dang. I smell another RMA coming....

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@13paul13, everything is the same with exception to Microsoft People, I'm at version: 10.2.2001.0; and, Excel & Word - I'm sitting at: 17.8421.10002.0. But, Excel and Word just updated for the second time today.

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a L950 on RP, but i'm very tempted to sign up the Fast Ring if this is really mostly bug fixes on a stable release. This is my only phone, so i really dont want to ruin it.

I do have rubbish standby and operating battery life (i even got a new one to see if that would help), so would you recomend this is worth an update?

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
@13paul13, everything is the same with exception to Microsoft People, I'm at version: 10.2.2001.0; and, Excel & Word - I'm sitting at: 17.8421.10002.0. But, Excel and Word just updated for the second time today.

I posted pretty much the same as my 1st post in this thread on Reddit. Jen Gentleman responded and referred to the release notes from 28 June 2017 (16232 PC, 15228 Mobile) "we will pause testing new versions of our inbox apps with Windows Insiders. This means that Insiders will not receive app updates from the Windows Store for our inbox apps that are newer than the apps included in the build."

I was aware of that, but I'd also seen people had an updated Store app for example, showing "Get updates" button rather than "Check for updates".

Unless there's perhaps some A/B testing, or some regional difference(?), I'd have expected all of us to have the same version numbers for the Microsoft apps?
I did get an automatically installed update to the Outlook Mail & Calendar app overnight, it's now 17.8400.40556.0.

Back to the build:

In 7.25 hours overnight, the battery lost only 5% charge (0.69% per hour on average) - previous builds had been in the region of 0.8% - 0.9% per hour on average. I will keep an eye on this.

"Hey Cortana" was not responding from the phone being locked, but the option was definitely turned on in settings (I also have it set to respond to anyone). I turned the phone off and on again, and this seems to have had the effect of clearing any blockage in Cortana's ears, as she's back to responding to me from when the phone is locked .

Turning the phone off and on again resulted in a 3% battery charge loss.

More reaction to come in the upcoming days...

Radix1980a

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
I have a nice standby battery life (L950). If I turn on the screen the battery life is high (as usual) but at least, when the phone is in my pocket it does not drain too much battery, and this is a good step!!

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a nice standby battery life (L950). If I turn on the screen the battery life is high (as usual) but at least, when the phone is in my pocket it does not drain too much battery, and this is a good step!!

is that on the Fast Ring? if its really that muhc better than the RP I'll jump on board - i'm getting a 30-40% drain overnight, which is 5-6% per hour. The older builds achieved 1-2%, which is much more realistic. This also occurs with battery saver running and data/wifi turned off so i 'think' its an OS issue.

Radix1980a

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
I have battery saver on and with a little usage the average battery drain is about 2%, that is ok for me and better than RP builds.

Try it by yourself and share your experience

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb