Windows 10 mobile practically jailbroken?

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
so there is apparently a new hack for win10m that allows you registry access, full files acces (edit hosts file - no adds in edge) etc...
since no links are allowed, I may just say, that it's on the most known page for all the mobile os hacks..

what do you think about it?
will you try it?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What will you do? Will you and are you using it? What will you use it for? Steal the work of others without paying as what happens on android phones? Or are you suggesting that my jailbreaking the device you could make it better? What is the end game for you? Just curious. For the record, practically doesn't mean it is jailbroken but your question suggests it is.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I would do it to get rid of ads alone. That drives me crazy on edge. No ad blocker. They bog down the browser so bad, that it's useless.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
What will you do? Will you and are you using it? What will you use it for? Steal the work of others without paying as what happens on android phones? Or are you suggesting that my jailbreaking the device you could make it better? What is the end game for you? Just curious. For the record, practically doesn't mean it is jailbroken but your question suggests it is.
well, i'm not interested in that myself, but if it helps people from android to migrate to windows, than i'm welcoming the thing ;)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There was a thread I saw this morning mentioning it.

Call me psyched.

Seeing what people have done with iOS makes me optimistic.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would do it to get rid of ads alone. That drives me crazy on edge. No ad blocker. They bog down the browser so bad, that it's useless.

I'm with you there. Ads are my only major beef when using Windows phone. I have them blocked on my Jailbroken iPhone and all of my rooted Android phones. I'd love to be able to modify the hosts file to block them. I did this on my Surface Pro 3 and Desktop. Should be able to do it on Windows Phone 10 eventually if it's the same architecture.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think this has the possibility to open up some good things.
The general populace would never need to do any of it, but...
I used to make custom ROMs, in the Windows Mobile days.
I liked the ability to make all my tweaks, before installing.
Everything was the way I wanted it, after installing.

I'm sure, at that time, there were people that were excited about it.
Also, there were people that were all "What are you going to do with it - install pirated software?".
Some will benefit, some won't, most won't care.
I would like to have a custom ROM community, again.
JJ

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Like you, Joshua, I used to cook custom roms on android, rather than WP. To me, rooting was a MUST if you wanted to use your device to it's full potential. It even extended the life of older devices, where the manufacturer had ceased support.

It was NEVER about 'stealing' someone's intellectual properties. Manufacturers include so much junk that your device was hampered. Rooting allows use of apps like apps2sd to ditch this bloat, it allows Xposed framework to be run allowing full customisation of a device. Adblock was a godsend, and sped up browsers no end
It allowed rom cookers to install custom recoveries, which opened up more avenues, and allowed flashing, resetting and installation of roms, a piece of cake. Now we could tinker with kernels, which once again, allowed improvements in phone operation and battery usage, along with throttling of the CPU speed, or if you were brave, crank it right up. Lionheart was one of my faves, as it gave a good compromise.

Finally, you could have a rom that you could customise to your hearts content, be that pure stock, or a lunatic fully ported one! My finest hour was a note 3 running a note 4 rom with S6 components built in!

So there you go. Rooting / Jailbreaking doesn't mean theft. It allows under the hood improvements, and allows your device to be yours, and could lead to porting apps easier for the home tinkerer.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Reminds me of Symbian. I loved those days. I hope we hear more of this. Every now and then a "new hack" happens, which later turns out to be fake. Till this day I haven't seen one real hack that gives you anything similar to a rooted Android.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Reminds me of Symbian. I loved those days. I hope we hear more of this. Every now and then a "new hack" happens, which later turns out to be fake. Till this day I haven't seen one real hack that gives you anything similar to a rooted Android.

That is probably one of the few good points about android. It was meant to be open source, with google releasing source codes regularly! You can by rooted phones off of the shelf ( 1+one ) or any of the Chinese phones. Any cheap Chinese tablet comes rooted! I've got a Tesco hudl, quad core Intel chip, loads of ram and large screen, I think the US version is a pegatron tablet, but, despite being Android, Tesco refuse to release the source code. I wan't to dual boot windows but I can't create a 'stored' custom recovery. We've managed to create a faux recovery to allow rooting, but it's my device, and I want to use it properly. I am stuck with kitkat 4.4.3!!! No SD storage for apps. Root cured that!!

PS, you want bloat, this damned thing came with over 500mb, including their own launcher full of tat!!!!

Beware where you read these claims of Jailbreaks. You'd be amazed at how many devices have been bricked following something a young keyboard warrior posted. Here or XDA would be my first port of call

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Before you take the effort, just remember that Win 10 stil not final. You open one door and a other one gets closed, its almost a game. I believe that MS surely closes this one at the final release.

I am not saying that i don't like this game, it's quite the opposite and stil waiting for someone who managed to get a landscaped home screen.
Who's up for the challenge :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes