Must I clean install W10M as I would on a PC?

gamerguy1992

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a phone running Windows 8.1 and had a question regarding the update process to Windows 10 Mobile once it releases.

So it's common knowledge that a clean install of Windows 10 (on PC) will run better/more efficient than an upgraded install from Windows 7/8.1, right? There are no lingering files left behind, and the system is wiped clean and has a fresh start.

I was wondering, do the Mobile versions of Windows work the same way? Do I need to worry about formatting my phone after upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile (when it releases), or will everything transition fine? I'm not sure how much the upgrading structure differs from PC to phone.

I'm just a bit paranoid that the system will be corrupted/bloated afterwards and I'll have to reset the phone. Is this a legitimate concern or does Windows 10 Mobile install cleanly? Thank you. :wink:

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You should keep in mind that all of the installs of W10M to date, and upon which advice may be given, are Technical Previews, thus apt to encounter performance and syncing issue. Its likely that many of these will be resolved before the official release. There may be less reason to or benefit from, going to the trouble of doing a "clean install" when upgrading. I've been averaging about 50/50 on whether or not a clean install was necessary for each new build of the Technical Preview.

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Back when the developers preview was running I did at least 5 updates and I thought it was all running well. Maybe a bit of lag on my 1020.
Then to get cyan I ended up using recovery tool and installed cyan directly in one flash. I was expecting it to feel more punchy and run better. But no it was the same as before. I don't believe updates on phones make a difference to performance and certainly wont leave any files behind.

I don't think windows 10 for desktop did either, it fact my laptop boots in 30 seconds now!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett