10-26-2015 05:27 PM
63 123
tools
    I just recently switched from Windows Phone to Android and I'm thinking about switching back. Android lacks some very basic functionality that I'm no longer sure more apps make up for. That functionality when it comes to voice commands/navigation, especially when it comes to texting. It is very important for me to be able to send and receive texts hands free, mainly while driving and it appears there is no viable solution for this on Android.

With Windows Phone, if Person X sends me a text, I'll hear the notification and then it will say, "You'very received a text from Person X. Should I read it or ignore it? If I say "Read it", it will read the message and then ask if I want to reply or if I'm done. If I say reply, it will ask me to say the message and then read it back to me for verification and ask if I want to send it, add more, or try again.

With Android, if Person X sends me a text, I'll hear the notification sound that I have received a text. That's it. Granted, there are apps available that supposedly fix this, but when reading reviews of them, they all sound like they have major flaws. Like not supporting Bluetooth. It's hard to imagine that Android doesn't have this basic level of functionality that Windows Phone 7 ​had back in 2010.
    Boris NevermorE and ayngling like this.
    09-25-2015 10:15 AM
    I just recently switched from Windows Phone to Android and I'm thinking about switching back. Android lacks some very basic functionality that I'm no longer sure more apps make up for. That functionality when it comes to voice commands/navigation, especially when it comes to texting. It is very important for me to be able to send and receive texts hands free, mainly while driving and it appears there is no viable solution for this on Android.

With Windows Phone, if Person X sends me a text, I'll hear the notification and then it will say, "You'very received a text from Person X. Should I read it or ignore it? If I say "Read it", it will read the message and then ask if I want to reply or if I'm done. If I say reply, it will ask me to say the message and then read it back to me for verification and ask if I want to send it, add more, or try again.

With Android, if Person X sends me a text, I'll hear the notification sound that I have received a text. That's it. Granted, there are apps available that supposedly fix this, but when reading reviews of them, they all sound like they have major flaws. Like not supporting Bluetooth. It's hard to imagine that Android doesn't have this basic level of functionality that Windows Phone 7 ​had back in 2010.
    Have you checked the play store for an app that lets you do that. The apps in the play store are pretty powerful.
    09-25-2015 12:43 PM
    Have you checked the play store for an app that lets you do that. The apps in the play store are pretty powerful.
    I've looked and all the ones I've found all have major problems according to the reviews, like not working over Bluetooth, reading the message but not giving you the option to reply, etc.
    09-25-2015 12:55 PM
    Downloads: I dont know where the browser downloads saved in file system of windows phone.
    Browser and Store downloads cant be shown in action center,bluetooth sharing also..
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-25-2015 04:18 PM
    why would you want video call over 3g/4G?? when there are enough solutions...well for WP not quite as facebook messenger does not have call function, and skype is not that good but at least you have it. I would not trade any video call app for the 3G video call, not in a million years
    Adica cu ce te deranjeaza daca ar introduce functia apel video de retea 3g, nu toata lumea are skype sau internet pe telefon ca sa poata folosy aceaste aplicatii, functia apel video permite gasirea dupa numar de telefon fata de celelante aplicatii dupa user.
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    09-26-2015 05:20 PM
    microsoft had their chance. now users are expecting good products. but they are still not delivering it. we ran out of time to give them :p
    09-27-2015 09:26 PM
    Adica cu ce te deranjeaza daca ar introduce functia apel video de retea 3g, nu toata lumea are skype sau internet pe telefon ca sa poata folosy aceaste aplicatii, functia apel video permite gasirea dupa numar de telefon fata de celelante aplicatii dupa user.
    Nu ma deranjeaza sa am asa ceva , spuneam doar in general ca solutiile voip exista si lumea a uitat de apelurile video standard. ma indoiesc ca ai avea o calitate video buna pe un video call standard, nu cred ca au mai investit in tehnologia asta...si in ziua de azi wifi exista mai la tot pasul, problema internetului nu mai este chiar asa de mare ca inainte. legat de gasirea dupa numar de telefon, daca Apple poate cu facetime si imessage asta, si MS ar putea pt skype asa ceva
    09-28-2015 03:11 PM

My Moto X did this very well. It recognized when I was driving and automatically read aloud all text messages. It uses gps to recognize when you are moving at high speed and assumes you are driving. Pretty slick. No bluetooth was needed which was great for me because I don't have a bluetooth receiver in my car. One of the Android things that I miss that's not available on my Windows phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-29-2015 12:18 PM
    Hmm, not sure I like the idea of my phone announcing my texts to the world as soon as the bus or train pulls away. I prefer the Windows approach rather than this Android method of deciding based simply on speed and gps.
    09-29-2015 12:21 PM
    My Moto X did this very well. It recognized when I was driving and automatically read aloud all text messages. It uses gps to recognize when you are moving at high speed and assumes you are driving. Pretty slick. No bluetooth was needed which was great for me because I don't have a bluetooth receiver in my car. One of the Android things that I miss that's not available on my Windows phone.
    That's good if you're driving and have a car that supports Bluetooth I suppose. I wear my earpiece pretty much whenever I'm not sitting in my living room. It's so small and light that I don't even notice it's there. I can respond hands free to texts and calls wherever I'm at. If this functionality only exists when you're driving, it's a very, flawed system.
    09-29-2015 01:19 PM
    not working in edge also on 10 mobile
    Okay then, could someone please suggest this on the feedback app? I am not enrolled in the preview and I would greatly appreciate it if Microsoft implemented this feature in their Windows Mobile.
    10-02-2015 01:42 AM
    legat de gasirea dupa numar de telefon, daca Apple poate cu facetime si imessage asta, si MS ar putea pt skype asa ceva
    Pai nici asta vad ca nu se obosesc sa implementeze si chiar si asa vreau sa fie introdus acel serviciu mai ales ca pe 4G calitatea e cu totul altceva.
    10-03-2015 01:04 PM
    Hmm, not sure I like the idea of my phone announcing my texts to the world as soon as the bus or train pulls away. I prefer the Windows approach rather than this Android method of deciding based simply on speed and gps.
    It always asks before reading and you can turn the feature off. It's actually really handy.
    10-26-2015 05:27 PM
63 123