Bluetooth Connectivity with Microsoft Band on Windows 10 Mobile... is anyone else worried?

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
RTM has already been signed off for Threshold 2 Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile according to reports and we can expect a new build any day now. At this point one of my main concerns is the lack of a reliable connection to our Microsoft Bands. I have had the Microsoft Band since the initial launch and was extremely satisfied with its performance on Windows Phone 8.1. I was able to control my music using Cortana and 9 out of 10 times was able to reply to text using voice without a problem, but since joining the Windows Insider program for Windows 10 mobile, that has not been the case. The Bluetooth connection is constantly lost and alerts are delayed sometimes not even shown. Worst of all interaction with Cortana is extremely buggy with more often than not, Cortana not being available because of lack of Bluetooth connection. For everyone reading I'm specifically talking about Windows 10 Mobile on build 10581.

I know I'm not the only one with these issues because I've visited many other sites and many other forums. What is odd to me is that Windows Central has made no issue of how bad notifications/ Cortana use is with this wearable. I've recently updated to the Microsoft Band 2 hoping for a better experience, but the truth is the interaction between the phone and the band is deplorable. Truth is, not everyone will have a Microsoft Band 1 or 2 but the people still sticking around with Windows Phone/ Mobile and testing the Windows Insider builds are true Microsoft fans and most likely do have their wearable. So I ask this, why are we so close to the finish line in Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft's product, the Microsoft Band 1 or 2, still doesn't work the way it should?

Is anyone else worried this will be overlooked by Microsoft and we will be stuck with a wearable that would perform better on another OS?
Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
#1: Have you reported the concern to Microsoft in the Feedback App?
#2: We'll have to test again when this next build hits and find out if there is still a problem. Microsoft needs to know there is a problem, though. It could be specific to your phone model, so it needs to be reported.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 and Lumia 1520 that I've tested on and the problem is persistent. I've submitted to feedback app and constantly go on there to upvote people who post the same issue.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
With the release of Windows 10 mobile imminent how long till we can expect a firmware update? Specially since the Microsoft Band 2 was released October 30th. I would assume it would be as soon as the Lumia 950 and 950 XL hit the market.

By Firmware update, do you mean for the Band or for the OS ?

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm Glad @RealWarder ! Are you able to do things on Cortana reliably? One of my other issues I constantly come across is replying to text using the on screen keyboard. The band constantly says Connecting and the phone shows as connected to the Band... I've done a reset on both the Band and my Lumia 1520 with no true benefit.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you done a reset to stock on the 581 build? I did that and repaired my band to my 1520 and it worked. Now it has a stable connection.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't own a Band but have had both poor BT connections with car stereos and speakers (dropping connection, no problem with initial pair) and Cortana problems using 10572 and 10581 before performing hard resets on a 920. BT and Cortana have been fine, Cortana a slight delay in opening when pressing car's Talk button, since hard resetting and repairing.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling these connection issues are more Band-related than they are Win10-related. I had the exact same issues with Band 1 on Win8.1, and it got better after a few updates. My Band 2, however, has a whole host of issues. I think the Band 2's firmware is the culprit here.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had a windows phone with 8.1 so I could test because I'm more than sure the issue is with Windows 10 mobile. When you initially install the Microsoft Health app it will give you a disclaimer notification saying "Cortana isn't working on this version please check back for updates" or something along those lines.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
up until the latest build I've had issues with the band, now, for the first time since I jumped from 8.1, I have my band almost fully functioning, it now remains connected at all times, the only issue is texts don't seem to get grabbed, which I'd assume is because the messaging app is a completely new app, so it either doesn't have band support yet, or vise versa, the band needs an update for the app, either way, the band will most likely work by the time the OS is released.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
@asskickulater Agreed, its a lot better but no way a finished product. The OS has been signed off and is slated to be released to insiders sometime this week. Will it work as it should with our Bands? that's remains to be seen. If my band is left in this half usable state even after we get the new build then that is sad. I'm sick of Microsoft sending half baked stuff to Users and then saying its coming in an updated "Soon"

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
@asskickulater Agreed, its a lot better but no way a finished product. The OS has been signed off and is slated to be released to insiders sometime this week. Will it work as it should with our Bands? that's remains to be seen. If my band is left in this half usable state even after we get the new build then that is sad. I'm sick of Microsoft sending half baked stuff to Users and then saying its coming in an updated "Soon"

What exactly is wrong? like I said, my band is working 99% only thing that wasn't working was texts, but, as of today even texts started working.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Win10 implements changes to Bluetooth. To take advantage of this, a firmware update will be required on phones. My guess is the trouble you (and me on my 640xl) are due to this mismatch of software / firmware on the phones. This should be corrected once the "Final Build" is pushed to phones from the carriers with accompanying firmware.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got build 586 and notifications still weren't working. I did a factory reset on the Band(1), deleted the Bluetooth connection, and re-registered it through the Health app. Everything is working much better now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes