No cellular data with W10M - also very confused now.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have the same phones, Lumia 930's.

I have an issue with mine though, and I'm a bit stuck on where to go next. I cannot get any data throughput unless I'm connected to WiFi. If I try and use the internet, it comes up with page from Three UK saying that my plan does not include tethering/personal-hotspot. The problem is, I don't use tethering, and in any case, my plan DOES include tethering (checked with Three UK this evening and had this confirmed) and I also have plenty of data left this month.

If I put my SIM in my wife's phone, it works fine over 3G/4G, but confusingly if I put her SIM in my phone, it also works normally. When I put my SIM back in my phone, I get the same problem as above again. The difference between the phones is that her L930 is running 8.1 and my L930 is running the latest build of Windows 10 Mobile. I don't see how the OS version could be at fault here though as her SIM works fine in my phone.

wp_ss_20151111_0003.jpgwp_ss_20151111_0004.jpg

If anyone has any ideas, I'd very much like to hear them as I'm at a loss now.

Thanks, Andy.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Go to a three store (do they have them?) or get them to send you a new SIM like your wife's

Note that often services are provisioned centrally against a SIM, so you should also have them pull up her services and yours and compare them on your accounts. They may be able to correct over the phone.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I did go into the Three store yesterday, and although the lady there was as helpful as she could possibly be (and totally gorgeous), she wasn't able to resolve the problem - I could see the confusion on her face when she was navigating around the phone, I thought it only polite to point out it was Windows 10 on there at that point, though she said they don't sell many Windows phones anyway. I think I'll ask them to send a replacement SIM and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your feedback realwarder.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Settings - Extra - Access Point

Make a new setting for it, you can easily find the information online (look up Three UK access point) and fill out the required fields. Once done, activate it and you should be all set.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I assume the relevant section under W10M is "SIM Settings" under the "Mobile and SIM" section... Looking on Threes page, it specifies lots of setting for MMS but for the APN, it just says three.co.uk but doesn't specify any of the other settings.

See screenshots below for the current three settings (that don't work). I can see how to create an alternate setting but am concerned that I don't have enough information to make it work.

wp_ss_20151112_0001.jpgwp_ss_20151112_0002.jpg

Last edited:

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Both your way and my way ultimately end up at the same screen, so that bit is fine, however the only info to go on the page appears to be three.co.uk under the APN heading. Three's page does not specify any other things such as username or password, so i assume that three.co.uk is the only relevant bit of info. Configuring an alternate APN with the same settings does not work. Phone shows it's connected to 4G in the status bar at the top, but still no actual throughput of data... And it still comes up with a Three web page when trying to browse the web - see screenshot below.
wp_ss_20151111_0004.jpg

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't anything to do with the APN, wasn't anything to do with phone or SIM either. I think it was something at Three UK that was causing the problem. I called them a few days ago, and they said it would be fixed within 3 days, I thought they were just fobbing me off and were nto actually going to do anything, but this morning it all starting working again all by itself, so Three must have done something. It's all working again anyway, so I'm happy.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say much other than I had no data over 3G/4G, but WiFi was fine.

The first guy I spoke to was awful, and when I queried what he was saying, he bordered on being rude with his stuck up and condescending attitude. But I called again a couple of days later and spoke to a lady who was very much more pleasant to deal with, ultimately she couldn't resolve the problem, but she realised she wasn't going to be able to solve it and quickly escalated it, and advised me it would be three days and then it would work again. I was skeptical at this and thought she was just trying to fob me off, but true to her word, Saturday morning I was out and about (away from WiFi) and heard a few notifications come through on my phone, took a look and lo and behold, it was working again and has been fine since - 36 hrs and counting.

I didn't bother with telling them that the SIM worked fine in my wife's phone, or that her SIM worked ok in mind, I thought it would just get confusing if I did that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes