Has Microsoft lost its vision in Windows mobile platform?

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Does microsoft lost its vision in windows mobile platform?

Been a windows phone user since WP 7.5 Here is why I had this feeling.
WP7
pros: Extremely user friendly,fluid OS (little of the resuming screen) , bugs ?? This is Windows Phone!! And social networking integration and me tile was a yes yes really liked that feature.
cons: lack of customisation (actually wasnt that of an issue), locked out feeling without bluetooth file sharing and file explorer, lack of apps.

WP8
pros: better customisation, better file sharing, cortana, bit better app support.
cons: less fluid, little of the earlier social integration, finding fav apps in the store is a hit and miss especially with lots of apps that are just for the name sake. The rise of the loading and resuming screens, bugs????

WP10
pros: better customisation, unification of OS, continuum
Cons: not fluid, not user friendly (hamburger menu? really?? ), makes me feel windows phone is forever in beta. live tile updates are a hit or miss (no way to dismiss already seen info), its been years app support should have been on par with other platforms.

Initially windows phone had a vision to provide the best user experience without clutter, without a steep learning curve. That vision is lost to aesthetics first and then usability.

And just out of curiosity why wait almost 2 years to release a flagship why not release a flagship in between and update it to WM 10.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Does microsoft lost its vision in windows mobile platform?

Been a windows phone user since WP 7.5 Here is why I had this feeling.
WP7
pros: Extremely user friendly,fluid OS (little of the resuming screen) , bugs ?? This is Windows Phone!! And social networking integration and me tile was a yes yes really liked that feature.
cons: lack of customisation (actually wasnt that of an issue), locked out feeling without bluetooth file sharing and file explorer, lack of apps.

WP8
pros: better customisation, better file sharing, cortana, bit better app support.
cons: less fluid, little of the earlier social integration, finding fav apps in the store is a hit and miss especially with lots of apps that are just for the name sake. The rise of the loading and resuming screens, bugs????

WP10
pros: better customisation, unification of OS, continuum
Cons: not fluid, not user friendly (hamburger menu? really?? ), makes me feel windows phone is forever in beta. live tile updates are a hit or miss (no way to dismiss already seen info), its been years app support should have been on par with other platforms.

Initially windows phone had a vision to provide the best user experience without clutter, without a steep learning curve. That vision is lost to aesthetics first and then usability.

And just out of curiosity why wait almost 2 years to release a flagship why not release a flagship in between and update it to WM 10.

You got points. Now give instructions for Microsoft to work.

sanu rajan1

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

for GOD sake someone buy a iphone or android and throw it at the face of microsoft.

Last edited:

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

I dont want microsoft to follow any sorts of instructions by daily user. I just want them to listen to those and provide an assurance that they are serious about this platform.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

when they started off with WP7 they had a vision. Now it seems they themselves see this platform as an android or ios replacement and wants to make it more of the same.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Agree with everything the OP stated. MS clearly had a vision when they came up with Zune and Windows Phone. They based their entire visual identity around the stylish and use friendly Metro design language and created very specific guidelines for touch and UI elements. Probably to a fault though which is why after failing to get dev support and market share they dumped it all and went for the Android and iOS-lite path. That's why Windows 10 and W10M is mostly a weird mish mash of styles and ideas without much soul or character. A wannabe copycat OS. A real shame because I left Android for WP to get away from this nonsense.

Off topic but it is truly a pain to use this messageboard sometimes. Slow, delayed and extremely sluggish. No other website is like this.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

I dint like zune in particular. But it does things great for instance atleast for me adding songs to the groove player had issues. And I dint like the music player seen lots of crashes even while I was using the WP 8.1 (so its not a preview thing). I guess it lacks in refinement. And I also I dont like the way the stock camera behaves in W10 the lumia camera app was much more polished and aesthetic though its similar. I would also like to see some tweaks in theme. black and white is good but at some places like in maill or store I prefer a white theme and in other places a dark theme. The problem is that I cant get both.
The store looks much better. The hamburger menu kinda spoils the mood may be because 4.5 inch is too small for it to please aesthetically.
Definitely hates the waiting thing for apps. I wanna try mini militia for instance people are going crazy on it. may be it wont happen like COC. Its things like that which worries me. people would ask to download some games and I would be like sorry mahn its WP its not yet supported may be an another day. The sad truth is, that other day is always over the horizon. Atleast in nokia days they made some apps updated it regularly. Lets see how this unification of OS plays its part in the app department. Please dont let us down this time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12