Please help with new user questions

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have just enabled Insider Preview on my Icon and gotten windows 10. I have some questions to which I have not been able to find answers by searching this forum or the internet.

1. Where is the battery live tile?
2. Where is the data sense live tile?
3. Is "Skype" obsolete as opposed to "Skype video"?
4. Is "Files" obsolete as opposed to "File Explorer"?
5. I had several games installed that showed up in "Games" but don't show up in "Xbox", is there no app that will list them all?
6. Are the Here apps (map, drive, transit) obsolete as opposed to Maps?
7. Why is Accuweather's tile no longer transparent?
8. Can I get different icons for my various email accounts?

Thanks in advance...

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I can probably help with point 6 as I haven't used the previous.

If you had here maps etc you can go to my library and install them that way. I believe maps uses them anyway. That's how I got them.

I've had accuweather and found no transparent tile, though the live tile is pretty good, that was until this morning when data suddenly stopped!

I haven't seen different icons for various emails. When your outlook updates you will find the linked inboxes which works well on W10.

You will come across lots of updates coming your way soon! Have a play when the updates appear. As I said, I've never looked for live battery icon etc so hopefully someone else will be along shortly. Once you've used 10, 8.1 will seem a little 'old hat', providing you don't mind the minor bugs.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. There isn't one, but there's lots of battery meter apps. You can pin the battery saver system setting to the start screen, but it's not live.
2. In settings->Network & wireless, long press on "Data usage" and use the "Pin to start" menu that pops up.
3. No. Skype is still Skype
4. Pass, I have both on my phone. Use/Delete whatever you fancy here
5. No, games are now listed in your app list - apparently many users got confused about the games hub and didn't know where their downloaded games disappeared to
6. For me, yes. I prefer the Windows map apps
7. Pass
8. No. You get slightly different icons for the type of email address (Outlook.com icon looks different to Exchange based email accounts).

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much, I'm getting there :wink:

1. But are there any store apps which update every minute, rather than every 30 minutes? My experience has been no, only the 8.1 battery tile updated every minute. (30-minute update makes a battery tile less than useful IMO.)

2. Yes but not live I see...

7. Odd ;) They were the same before but now they're different like they were before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss