Lumia 640 + win10 is running games worse than my 520 does on 8.1

RalumiaX

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Is this pretty typical of windows 10 at this point that many older game apps run worse due to win 10 still being new? Or is this more a case of the 640 being slowed down because of running a more demanding OS, if it is the case? I am just a little bummed as I thought upgrading to a 640 from a 520 would only mean improvements in all areas.

also..........

What is the process regarding a developer getting there game working on win 10 mobile from win 8. A particular title I went to download stated it was not compatible with the device. I'm obviously not entirely in the loop as I thought all win 8 games would naturally run on win 10. Do all games/apps need to be modified/updated in order to run on the new OS?

Overall very happy with the phone. New OS definitely looks and feels like a major generation leap in every way! They need to roll a billion dollars into getting the OS spot ON. Another billion dollars on some insanely great exclusive apps/games and finally a billion dollars into marketing and I think WINDOWS Phone would gain similar demand and mainstream interest as Apple have achieved.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I am sure the OS is more demanding since it does more things now. Also, the new OS is still new and evolving. Another thing to throw in there is that perhaps the older games are not optimized for certain new things in the OS. Finally, the 640 has to push 140% more pixels than the 520, assuming the gaming resolution scales up natively with the screen resolution. In this case, is the newer GPU able to handle this increase?

You have two variables here--the new phone and the new OS.

Have you tried gaming on the 640 using Windows Phone 8.1?

RalumiaX

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I am sure the OS is more demanding since it does more things now. Also, the new OS is still new and evolving. Another thing to throw in there is that perhaps the older games are not optimized for certain new things in the OS. Finally, the 640 has to push 140% more pixels than the 520, assuming the gaming resolution scales up natively with the screen resolution. In this case, is the newer GPU able to handle this increase?

You have two variables here--the new phone and the new OS.

Have you tried gaming on the 640 using Windows Phone 8.1?

Didn't enter my mind regarding the higher pixel count. I'm guessing the developer has control in this area, depending on the phone which is being used? The game 'Penguin' appears much rougher/blurrier on the 640 vs the crisper picture that the game demonstrates on the 520. I suspect the resolution has probably remained the same on both phones and the picture is suffering as a result of being enlarged and the 640 not upscaling the lower resolution nicely. Tigerball which is another favorite of mine I suspect is natively running at the phones full res, so it looks great, but is running much choppier than on the 520 with win8.1, so very may well be the extra pixels, but the game is pretty simple, so your probably on the money with the lack of optimized code for win 10. On the other hand I'm prettty sure Sonic Dash which is a more demanding 3d game is running better, maybe even 50% better. But this is just from memory. Uninstalled it on the 520 as it was just about unplayable and the game itself didnt interest overly. Being a bigger/popular title handled by a largeish studio hired by sega, they probably put some effort into making sure the game is well optimized for win 10.

Immediately installed win 10 on the new phone, so didn't bother installing anything on 8.1. I've spoken to the developer of Tigerball in the past via email, so I might send him a message and get his thoughts on what is going on. He might welcome the feedback.

Thanks for your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2