Is there an option to enable USB tethering?

Orlando Parkinson

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
USB tethering

Is there an option to enable USB tethering on windows 10 mobile? whenever I connect my device (lumia 620) to my laptop (also windows 10) the phone companion launches and on my phone, the charging indicator comes on. I would like to do more than just transfer files and charge my phone when I don't have any data or wifi connection.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
my n97 had that, you need some flimsy drivers on your pc so its not just the phone supporting it, it was easier to just open a hotspot at the end

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: USB tethering

Meanwhile you can use WiFi hotspot. Windows 10 PC also supports it. Go to Settings > Network and Internet > Mobile hotspot. But, yeah, it won't work if your have desktop PC with no WiFi adapter ;) Laptop should work with no issue.

Anthone

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Is there an option to enable USB tethering on windows 10 mobile? whenever I connect my device (lumia 620) to my laptop (also windows 10) the phone companion launches and on my phone, the charging indicator comes on. I would like to do more than just transfer files and charge my phone when I don't have any data or wifi connection.
If windows ten doesn't detect your phone automatically when you plug it into the USB port worry not, it's easy to fix.

The computer should make a little tinkly ding noise when you plug the phone in. If it doesn't then try this anyway and report back but it might be your cable or USB port.

Look at the right hand side of the taskbar. There is an icon that looks like a speech bubble. Click it. A thing called an Action Centre will open it will be searching for wireless devices. Ignore that and look at the bottom. It will say find other devices. Click that. One option will be Android. Click that. A remove device option will appear. Ignore it and go to This PC. You will see your phone and can now access the memory to move pics etc. Go to the phone and enable USB tethering. Your phone will disappear from This PC. "Don't Panic". Do the action centre manual addition again. Your phone won't reappear but your internet tethering will work now.

You can now choose between accessing the phone as memory or as an internet gateway by manually adding it as described above.

Your results may vary slightly depending on your phone. Many people get automatic detection of everything all the time. I'm sure it works for iPhones or windows phones too. Just a different option at the click Android stage.

If you update windows while you are tethered it may well install the right drivers for automaticly detecting your phone in the future.

Report back if it works or doesn't work for you and any variations you discover. At least you know the right control panel now.

Spartan Green

May 24, 2017
Visit site

@Anthone, I know your post is old, but I can't seem to find any of what you mentioned. Windows 10 Pro v1607 Build 14393.1358 with Windows 10 Mobile v1703 build 10.0.15063.414.

It looks like Windows 10 Mobile has some catching up to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos