Why wait for WM10 on older phones?

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft does have to get some older handsets running Windows 10 Mobile. I see a couple major differences between Apple and Microsoft in this regard:
  1. Apple is more established, so they can more easily refuse to upgrade older devices, knowing that people will buy the new iPhone. Microsoft doesn't have that kind of pull in the mobile space yet.
  2. In the US, Apple iPhones are offered on multiple cellular carriers (might be the same in other countries, but I don't know). If you want a new Windows phone handset in the US you have to be on AT&T at the moment, so not upgrading older devices really just pushes precious customers away.
  3. Windows 10 Mobile is an essential piece of the universal app experience for Microsoft. What good would it be to introduce apps that run across your tablet, computer and phone if the phone never received Windows 10 Mobile? I can see eliminating hardware that wouldn't run the new OS properly, but if an older handset has the hardware to handle Windows 10 Mobile it benefits Microsoft to upgrade that device.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Getting Windows 10 on another major form factor (mobile devices) is key to the whole Windows 10 concept. With only a small userbase to upgrade, it'd be pointless if Microsoft didn't try to make use of what 'little' they do have. Plus, this is the last time they have to go through the tricky business of getting carriers to agree to such a massive update - once this is over, MS will take back most of the control when it comes to updates. It's worth a final push to get a larger userbase for W10M.

Joao Bento

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile is running fine so far in my Lumia 630. I am in the slow ring and so far I had one random restart yesterday from all the installations I have done.

Why wait for W10M in older phones? Well because Microsoft said it was coming. No good source on the dates but i remember that with Denim update they had information per country saying when it was released. So I have not seen that yet with W10M.

As far as Microsoft caring about W10M well..... in W8.1 I did not see so many updates as now with native applications and others. I think I am updating apps on a weekly basis and that is pretty darn good :).

Cheers

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well Win 10 running on the most # of devices is a strategy M$ has communicated. So i am assuming, it is M$ that want win 10 on old Lumias more than anyone else to lure developers to "100s of millions of devices."

Daniel Frankovitch

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have to do anything, but then they can't complain that they lose even more people as people give up on WP and go to iOS and Android.

The singular reason I am waiting for WP10 on my Lumia 928 is because, as a Verizon customer, I have no WP upgrade path that doesn't require me to switch carriers. Having been with the other carriers, switching back to them is beyond stupid.

No platform is worth a carrier downgrade. If Verizon and MS never find a way to act like they want my business, then I will be forced to go to iOS or Android once my phone dies. I was ready to buy a 950, I still have the money, but MS and Verizon don't want to sell me the device I want.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't have to do anything, but then they can't complain that they lose even more people as people give up on WP and go to iOS and Android.

The singular reason I am waiting for WP10 on my Lumia 928 is because, as a Verizon customer, I have no WP upgrade path that doesn't require me to switch carriers. Having been with the other carriers, switching back to them is beyond stupid.

No platform is worth a carrier downgrade. If Verizon and MS never find a way to act like they want my business, then I will be forced to go to iOS or Android once my phone dies. I was ready to buy a 950, I still have the money, but MS and Verizon don't want to sell me the device I want.

I'm also on Verizon and was ready to buy a 950. I decided to put Windows 10 on my 928 by joining Windows Insider. Glad I did it; the only challenges I've seen are that mobile hotspot doesn't work for me and battery life when using the phone seems to be shorter than before, but it is a 2 1/2 year old phone.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I came back onboard w/WM in late 2012, looking at my Ativ S, L1020 and L830, I'm hard pressed to see the advancements that should have been with the OS, now all three of my devices are basically EOL and running a stark, lackluster OS (W8.1) compared to the other platforms.

That stark lackluster OS attracted me to the platform and I continue to enjoy it. At this point I wouldn't recommend W10M to my dog so being left out of that "upgrade" path is fine with me.

Vibhor Agarwal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The point is MS is not in a position to ditch its customers by not offering a Windows 10 Mobile update. Android or Iphone customers are going to buy Android/iphone no matter how many time they are left with a non-updated phone. With a very little market share MS cannot afford to do this.

So plain and simple, MS should deliver and customer should expect Windows10 Mobile on their old devices.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The point is MS is not in a position to ditch its customers by not offering a Windows 10 Mobile update. Android or Iphone customers are going to buy Android/iphone no matter how many time they are left with a non-updated phone. With a very little market share MS cannot afford to do this.

So plain and simple, MS should deliver and customer should expect Windows10 Mobile on their old devices.

Thank you for your valid comments but strong point for Microsoft is not their phones and therefore they should focus on their newer and areas where they are strong. Don't you think so?

arjunbkool

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Just adding one minor detail (and not reading the entire thread). This country variant thing is a mess. I cant possibly be the last one to get an update just because i got this mobile from a different county.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
With your post you did acknowledge that those two rival Co. do release high end devices almost every day. Compare that to MS whose last high end device bar that which has been released for December was the L930/L830 etc. Many didn't change from their L1520/920/1020 because they didn't see those two as a step up. Why would most change from what they have to the 950/950XL knowing the OS isn't finished? Why go there and complain when this isn't working or that isn't as well. The reason why it's easy for Apple and Google to do that is they're releasing updates to already completed OSes. They're not releasing something "NEW" are they? Right now the IOS and Android users on kit kat or lollipop are satisfied and with Marshmallow or IOS 9/9.02 for that matter all of them are satisfied with their devices as is and any update or additional features to what's already a quality OS will always be accepted.

So your use of comparison is nonsense IMO as MS does not have anything near in comparison to the 14 devices mentioned running IOS and Android. So what else would they use to run their new OS on? to simple to comprehend knowing that the vast majority of WP users are still on devices from 2013 since it makes zero sense moving to a new device without an OS to compliment such a device. MS should NEVER have released the 950/950X/550/650 or whatever is coming next month without WP10 being completed and ready for public release........ NEVER. Downright and utter idiocy from a multi-billion dollar corporation that prides itself in innovation and intelligence.

Why buy a new device with it's OS not #@&^%$ working? Because us "idiots" then turn and say the device is crap knowing it's the OS and not the device but still say such. People waiting on a "surface" hopefully branded device, whoopee!!! what happens if then the OS is still not up to scratch? will you still show of the device, will you still say oh how great MS is for making such a premium device?

Instead what MS is doing to keep what little they still have is give everyone with a compatible WP8 device the opp to experience WP10 and after having an acceptable or better experience then choose to a higher end device to make the experience even BETTER.

Fix the OS first!!!

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I understand what you are saying. I also have 920, 1020 and 1520 running WM10 and they are running very well without any glitches. But, what we have here are few old phones running very well on WM10. Rest of the people are complaining about them not running well.

10 people buy the same car model, 2 of the 10 complain about issues with theirs, should the remaining eight return theirs?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
With your post you did acknowledge that those two rival Co. do release high end devices almost every day. Compare that to MS whose last high end device bar that which has been released for December was the L930/L830 etc. Many didn't change from their L1520/920/1020 because they didn't see those two as a step up. Why would most change from what they have to the 950/950XL knowing the OS isn't finished? Why go there and complain when this isn't working or that isn't as well. The reason why it's easy for Apple and Google to do that is they're releasing updates to already completed OSes. They're not releasing something "NEW" are they? Right now the IOS and Android users on kit kat or lollipop are satisfied and with Marshmallow or IOS 9/9.02 for that matter all of them are satisfied with their devices as is and any update or additional features to what's already a quality OS will always be accepted.

So your use of comparison is nonsense IMO as MS does not have anything near in comparison to the 14 devices mentioned running IOS and Android. So what else would they use to run their new OS on? to simple to comprehend knowing that the vast majority of WP users are still on devices from 2013 since it makes zero sense moving to a new device without an OS to compliment such a device. MS should NEVER have released the 950/950X/550/650 or whatever is coming next month without WP10 being completed and ready for public release........ NEVER. Downright and utter idiocy from a multi-billion dollar corporation that prides itself in innovation and intelligence.

Why buy a new device with it's OS not #@&^%$ working? Because us "idiots" then turn and say the device is crap knowing it's the OS and not the device but still say such. People waiting on a "surface" hopefully branded device, whoopee!!! what happens if then the OS is still not up to scratch? will you still show of the device, will you still say oh how great MS is for making such a premium device?

Instead what MS is doing to keep what little they still have is give everyone with a compatible WP8 device the opp to experience WP10 and after having an acceptable or better experience then choose to a higher end device to make the experience even BETTER.

Fix the OS first!!!

MS should NEVER have released the 950/950X/550/650 or whatever is coming next month without WP10 being completed and ready for public release........ NEVER. Downright and utter idiocy from a multi-billion dollar corporation that prides itself in innovation and intelligence.

Why buy a new device with it's OS not #@&^%$ working?

I have quoted three statements from your posts. The first two statements contradict the last statement and makes it nonsensical. If W10 is uncompleted and cannot run well on new hardware, how will it run well on older hardware? And, how will someone stop complaining when it does not run well on new or old hardware? So my suggestion that older phones should not receive updates is proven by your own statements.

BTW, I did not say other OSes are not buggy but I am talking about the selection of devices for which OSes are released by Apple or Android.

Example is the link below where iOS 9 was buggy only release
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7249054?start=0&tstart=0

iOS 9 buggy.PNG

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
So doesn't that mean that there is an issue on running the OS on older devices and that means the devices must not upgraded?

No, it means there is an issue running the OS on all devices, old, new, desktops, laptops, mobiles, tablets, you name it. The problem is not the devices, it is that W10 is now released under WaaS which means the policy is to keep it beta and exciting rather than stable and reliable. You need to understand the new paradigm and lower your expectations appropriately. You do not, however, need to be happy about it.

Older devices at least get a choice. The poor 950 owners are stuck with W10. Older devices do not need to be updated, but you can if you want. The only people forced into it are the newbies and I feel for them.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
That stark lackluster OS attracted me to the platform and I continue to enjoy it. At this point I wouldn't recommend W10M to my dog so being left out of that "upgrade" path is fine with me.

Was there once too but after 3+ years with only minuscule changes things have become very stale for me personally, W10M surely would help liven things up yet any IP builds I’ve tried have failed to deliver, neither my 1020 or 830 were very receptive which always resulted in a revert back to W8.1, so at this point an upgrade doesn't appear to be an option and acceptance is my only choice.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The whole thing about iPhone 4S receiving the updates is that "iPhone 4S is capable of running the OS". For Windows Mobile, I am sure that Lumia 1520 is capable of running Windows Mobile 10, but rest of the phones must not be upgraded.

My Lumia 640 runs Windows 10 like a dream! I have had less issues then most people have with their 950s

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
In the US, Apple iPhones are offered on multiple cellular carriers (might be the same in other countries, but I don't know). If you want a new Windows phone handset in the US you have to be on AT&T at the moment, so not upgrading older devices really just pushes precious customers away.[/LIST]

Been to a Cricket store lately? They have Windows Phones front and center in their phone lineup and they have 635 and 640 devices that you can try out on display! It's awesome!!

Even their TV ads during the holiday season had the Lumia 635 in them as what they called a "Lightning fast 4G Windows phone"

Last time I was in there the girl working told me that Windows phones are selling really well for Cricket and in most cases out selling Android and iOS devices. Is that just in my area or just at that store? I don't know, but it was still great to hear!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@Charles Brown8 : Agreed that they have posted a list of phones that will be updated but then my suggestion is they should not update those phones, as that will lead to more complaints from users. When people complain about the latest phones (950/950XL), then we can expect more complaints on older phones. The post on our forums are also evidence of people already complaining about the OS performance on older phones.

The balance will always be skewed as people who are having issues will look for solutions and invariably will complain - it's a given.

On the flipside people who experience no issues won't be looking for solutions as they have no reason therefore highly unlikely to provide any form of feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon