Why wait for WM10 on older phones?

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Im not waiting for Windows 10 on my 640XL and 520, as I already have it installed on these devices and Windows 10 runs smoothly on them.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't disagree with you more. For one, phones running Windows 8 (or 8.1) that are upgraded to 10 are not the only phones that will miss "Windows Hello" and "Continuum". Neither the 550 or the soon to be released 650 will have those features either. Those are features that are reserved for premium phones like the Lumia 950.

Also I don't think W10 is so much more advanced over 8.1 that older phones will have trouble with it one it is officially released. Most problems people are having with it now are also problems on the 950 and 950XL and will hopefully be ironed out by the time W10 is an official release and not just an "insiders" release.

I have installed W10 on my youngest son's Lumia 520, my middle son's Lumia 635 and on both my Lumia 640 and my old Lumia 1320, and it works fine on all of them. But I also made sure to do a hard reset on each phone before using W10 on them.

And last but not least, if you have a phone that W10 won't run great on, then you have the choice not to upgrade it! My iPad 2 is still running an old version of iOS because I know the new will make it run like garbage.

Bottom line, if you don't want it don't get it. Your phone will still work and you will still have the OS you like and trust. But if you do want it, you should have that ability to get it. I applaud Microsoft for not leaving all the W8 users in the dark like they did with W7!

If it is a modest upgrade then I see no issues with older phones getting the update. However, Microsoft has suggested that older phones will get parts of Windows 10, but not as much of Windows 10 as other phones. And I'm not referring to Windows Hello or Continuum either. So, not knowing what that means, I'm only left to believe that Windows 10 could be a different experience on each phone (outside of the normal differences all things considering).

If you remember this story, it was a little vague as to what one should expect. Those are my reservations. Yes, I have the choice not to upgrade it, but if Microsoft halts development on Windows Phone 8.1, then I'll be left out in the cold. I'd be no different than someone running Windows XP. Sure, I have a great device, but then new apps and services are coming out of the woodwork, and I'm left out in the cold.

Its a communication issue. All of you that signed up for the Insider Program are like "I did a clean install and got it to work on whatever phone I wanted it to work on, I don't have any problems" etc. And that's fine, for those that want to do a clean install. But for those of us updating it over the air, how is that going to go? No different from the issues people are having on Windows 10 on the desktop, that did an "over the air" update, as opposed to a clean install.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
If it is a modest upgrade then I see no issues with older phones getting the update. However, Microsoft has suggested that older phones will get parts of Windows 10, but not as much of Windows 10 as other phones. And I'm not referring to Windows Hello or Continuum either. So, not knowing what that means, I'm only left to believe that Windows 10 could be a different experience on each phone (outside of the normal differences all things considering).

If you remember this story, it was a little vague as to what one should expect. Those are my reservations. Yes, I have the choice not to upgrade it, but if Microsoft halts development on Windows Phone 8.1, then I'll be left out in the cold. I'd be no different than someone running Windows XP. Sure, I have a great device, but then new apps and services are coming out of the woodwork, and I'm left out in the cold.

Its a communication issue. All of you that signed up for the Insider Program are like "I did a clean install and got it to work on whatever phone I wanted it to work on, I don't have any problems" etc. And that's fine, for those that want to do a clean install. But for those of us updating it over the air, how is that going to go? No different from the issues people are having on Windows 10 on the desktop, that did an "over the air" update, as opposed to a clean install.

So you think older phones shouldn't get W10, but then you say that people with 8.1 will be left in the cold when development stops... isn't that a bit contradictory? Even if W10 on older phones is a lesser experience (as it is for Androaid and iOS users with older phones that get upgrades) shouldn't those people still be able to upgrade and get newer apps and some features?

Of course all phones wont get every single feature. Not even all phones that come with W10 from the factory will all have every feature. The lower end and mid-range phones arent going to have the high end stuff, if they did what reason would there be to buy a high end phone?. The same could be said for cars,TVs, computers and everything else that comes in one than one model.

People with W7 were left in the cold when W8 came out... and people complained. Now they are not leaving W8 users in the cold with W10... and people complain. There is no winning on the internet lol.

I did an over the air update of W10 form the insiders app, but I did a hard reset after it was installed. Now it works great.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't disagree with you more, my 930 runs W10M just as well as the 950 and 950XL with ALL the features except those that require new or additional hardware that the 930 lacks, more specifically Continuum and Windows Hello.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon