Has the OS improved since I switched?

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
In December, I got fed up with running W10 mobile on my Icon and decided to go with a Nexus and over to the Google ecosystem. And it HAS been a nice experience. I am a heavy desktop user, so my challenge has been making these two experiences close as possible. However, I am tempted by this new ATT $650 switch offer and the idea of a new 950. I did enjoy the Windows mobile experience very much, but several ridiculous things made me leave, and it was NOT about apps. So I am wondering;

Has Cortana improved in her ability to know your calendar? I was constantly being told I had something happening today/tomorrow that had been deleted or rescheduled days before. It should be instant.

Has Edge bookmark/reading list syncing improved? Things I saved would maybe show up on the other device days later, if at all.

Email rendering in outlook. I heard it was fixed, then not, then sorta....

These were my biggest gripes, actually. I want my **** to be synced immediately across devices, and have it all read each other correctly. Cortana is a joke when she doesn't actually know your calendar in real time.

Thanks!

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
She is worse now than on 8.1
��

Yeah I think you have to wait for the odd release numbers for windows products. Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 7. Just kidding about the odd numbers. I left the same time as you because I needed a flagship that worked. I am not going back anytime soon. The longer I'm out in the wild, the more dependent I become on apps. Just this week I added a portfolio of Synology apps to manage my NAS and Slickdeals.

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I would wait a bit. The OS is nice and usable, but it still needs to be worked on,and in fact it's still in the "polishing phase" before the big official release for all devices.
But pretty much I love it, I am currently running slow ring preview for my Lumia 1020 for everyday usage.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Too bad. I think I'm better off customizing my desktop to be more Google-centric with my Nexus then. Mail&Calendar, Photos, Groove, Movies&TV, Maps, all seem pretty useless without a good mobile to complement them. Been doing just dandy in Chrome, Picasa, and so on. If I didn't cling to my 2007 MS Money program, I'd probably even just go with a chromebook at this point. Too bad, I'd been an MS fan for ages.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
One of the first things that you just do, when creating a new OS, is make sure that the best features, of the old one, are included. It may seem obvious but, unfortunately, MS seems to have forgotten that.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One of the first things that you just do, when creating a new OS, is make sure that the best features, of the old one, are included. It may seem obvious but, unfortunately, MS seems to have forgotten that.

Forgotten at least twice over; WP7 to WP8, WP8 to 8.1, now WP 8.1 to 10. Hubs, Me Tile, integrated people hub, putting a great consumer UX first and not just cloning bad UI design from other platforms, but worst of all going from arguably the smoothest OS to a buggy, inconsistent crash-fest. Tragic.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I really thought I'd stick with MS no matter what. Apps weren't the issue. But I absolutely expect quality software at the OS level. But they really let it go. These are not bugs that drove me off even, but "how the hell did you let that out" things. No "empty all" in the email trash? Seriously? And not having your personal assistant up to date with your calendar immediately? Oh, let me save this article I'm reading in the morning and I'll pick it up on my phone while riding the train. Oh wait, it never came over. It's THESE kinds of things that drove me away. I do stuff in Google on the desktop or my Nexus and all of it is immediately reflected across the spectrum. If they can do it, then MS sure as hell should be able to also. Now I don't want to use ANY of their stuff just on principle, just what I have to. Windows OS, Money, and Office when needed (my old 2010 install, NOT 365).

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Edge syncing and outlook email rendering are fixed, Cortana isn't fixed yet... The OS is more stable than it was on November but still needs more polish.

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 and bought a Lumia 640 to watch the updates and play around to see if I could put down my iPhone and embrace the windows ecosystem. After the .71 update was released I put my sim card in my Lumia and haven't looked back at my iPhone. The OS foe me is fantastic. I know others have issues but I guess I've been lucky. I can't wait to hopefully see Microsoft release a surface phone so I can have a premium device. But the 640 is amazing for what it is and cost. I like the way things are going and where they are headed.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I would wait a bit. The OS is nice and usable, but it still needs to be worked on,and in fact it's still in the "polishing phase" before the big official release for all devices.
But pretty much I love it, I am currently running slow ring preview for my Lumia 1020 for everyday usage.
So does your 1020 still have double tap? 10 pretty much burned me trying to use the XL, had to go back to my 1020 with 8.1. I cannot find a good reason to go 10 on the 1020.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Way more stable, actually I never had any serious problems with W10M, only few App crashes at the beginning, now on .107 it is very good, a lot of depends on the user, cause there is a lot of things to mess your experience, poorly installed and configurated phone, with bad back-ups.
And about OS and improvements, it is fine now, just curious what RS will offer.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Speaking of calendars, are you a heavy user of Google Calendars after using the Nexus? Yesterday I found out that Outlook Calendar (desktop and mobile) has this problem where it won't display any of your Google Calendar appointments/birthdays/holidays six months into the future. Because of that, I have to use One Calendar to view my Google Calendars. I'm sure the issue will be resolved eventually, but it's a problem for me right now because people share their calendars with me via my Google account. Just something to consider if you're going from Android to Windows Phone.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get a Note 4 for no cost. So far I find it to be almost as much of a mess as Win 10. It is definitely what MS was trying to emulate. But it has the benefit of apps!!!

OneDrive, OneNote, and Office are working great for me on android. On a trip with andoid Google Now seemed to be botching my flight and trip details but Cortana had my back. Microsoft also makes a lock screen and launcher that I would say are the best ones available for android.

Still, I sometimes feel like I'm using a kid's phone.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think you have to wait for the odd release numbers for windows products. Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 7. Just kidding about the odd numbers. I left the same time as you because I needed a flagship that worked. I am not going back anytime soon. The longer I'm out in the wild, the more dependent I become on apps. Just this week I added a portfolio of Synology apps to manage my NAS and Slickdeals.
All the Synology apps are on Windows 10. IDK about slickdeals.
But yeah, Cortana is not ready on Win mobile 10.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I think the last few mobile updates have been a huge improvement. Even just looking at all the bugs they called out on the .71 update (whichever one had an insane change log), it's pretty clear they've made some significant progress. On top of that, Redstone for Insiders is apparently just on the horizon. Gabe Aul said he was running it one at least one mobile device a few weeks back.

Anyways, I don't think it's anywhere near as doom and gloom as some people make it seem. The OS is getting much more stable each build. I myself haven't had too many issues, but the issues I did have are pretty much long since gone. Especially considering some of the major apps to get updates recently.

anon(8894772)

May 29, 2014
Visit site
For me it feels like it's just getting worse and worse. Which could partly be due to my aging hardware, but I just didn't see how it could get much better. Recently switched to an iPhone and I'm really pleased so far.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I was able to get a Note 4 for no cost. So far I find it to be almost as much of a mess as Win 10. It is definitely what MS was trying to emulate. But it has the benefit of apps!!!

OneDrive, OneNote, and Office are working great for me on android. On a trip with andoid Google Now seemed to be botching my flight and trip details but Cortana had my back. Microsoft also makes a lock screen and launcher that I would say are the best ones available for android.

Still, I sometimes feel like I'm using a kid's phone.
Do you know the name of the lock screen app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12