OWA for Windows 10 mobile

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to figure out the best way to access my work email. My company does not support WP yet so I'm forced to use the mobile site. In the new edge browser the login screen is responsive but post login it brings you to a very old view of the email not optimized for mobile. UC browser actually works better than Edge believe it or not.

I know Android and iOS have an OWA app. Where is this for Windows phone?????? For heavens sake I can't even use Edge to get it to render correctly and have to use a third party browser that really isn't that reliable either.

What gives Microsoft? Maybe there's another alternative I don't know about? You provided other mobile OS' with a solution but not for your own OS? I just want a clean and reliable way to check my work Outlook email on my splendid Lumia 950 At&t too much to ask?

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to set it up yourself. Have you tried? Go to setting, email and try to see how far you get. Most likely you just need to know where the server is.

elbimster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Your company doesn't support windows phone, or doesn't support active sync? If it supports active sync (ability to use the native mail apps on iOS and android) then it supports WinPhone. Your IT are just aholes.

If the android/iOS people also have to use the OWA apps, then yeah. Not sure what to tell ya.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd be astonished if your company allowed OWA access and didn't allow ActiveSync, which you setup through Outlook. Pretty much all you should need is your email address and password, possibly also the server name (same as the OWA address normally) depending on setup.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they have a MDM or EMM solution where they provision the mobiles through?

But if they just are using plain Active Sync. Then it in most cases it just "plug & play" to configure for any device/application that supports AS . If they haven't blocked specific devices.

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My company blocks by default using MDM tool. It's just no one but me and a few others out of 500+ who have a WP device. I can't figure it out but they said WP is not approved at this point. I know others who don't want their phone taken over have option to use OWA app for android and iOS. I was hoping there was a similar option but doesn't look like it.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Looks like you're stuck with it then unfortunately.

I'll never understand companies who think mobile devices are a risk but will allow OWA access from anywhere.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Dude. Switch to android. The best thing you wud do in ur life.

I hold a stupid wp device which has ****ty default outlook that doesn't attach files.

Secondly. I rely on the android collegue for the emails he checks using OWA on his android device. If I say this, the blind wp fan boys suggest me to configure office email thru default device email which is no way possible due to security policies. OWA wud really help at this instant though and wp wont have it.

I thought I ll switch to yammar for official communications and yammar is the most stupid app for WP and it makes me feel embarrassed siting in between iOS and android friends with the same app, much more enhanced with design and features.

I switched to Lync 2010 and that crap doesn't connect/disconnect wont send notifications though android colleague gets all of it in his Lync for android.

But yes, I happily show all of them, Cortana(forever alpha) talking to me hey how r u.(this is what you expect from smartphone right?) Google can't do that

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The easiest solution here is to set up email forwarding or a send a copy to an outlook.com account and then authorise that outlook.com to use your email account / domain as as a send to address. So your email address sendto may appear like this: example@outlook.com on behalf example@corporation.com or simply example@corporation.com.

That's what I did for my previous work place, presuming your IT dept will let you.

Also the outlook client in WM10 is much better than WP8.1 native client that is for certain; in addition the OWA client on Android and iOS is Accompli rebranded + tweaked.

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried enrolling in device management from the Work Apps section of settings? This worked for my companies MDM solution. I just needed the URL and got access to email through Outlook app.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
The easiest solution here is to set up email forwarding or a send a copy to an outlook.com account and then authorise that outlook.com to use your email account / domain as as a send to address. So your email address sendto may appear like this: example@outlook.com on behalf example@corporation.com or simply example@corporation.com.

That's what I did for my previous work place, presuming your IT dept will let you.

Also the outlook client in WM10 is much better than WP8.1 native client that is for certain; in addition the OWA client on Android and iOS is Accompli rebranded + tweaked.
Yes ddude you need to do all this in WP to achieve a task that you cud have been done in one step in android and iOS. Welcome to reality of wp.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes ddude you need to do all this in WP to achieve a task that you cud have been done in one step in android and iOS. Welcome to reality of wp.

This has nothing to do with WP, this has to do with his IT dept, their MDM solution and their company politics. If they decided to not open it up to Android it would be exactly the same.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
This has nothing to do with WP..

I expected this reply. Well, I was talking about the OWA, such a simple productive app isn't der for WP, and all this fuss of adding domain to the email client just because of the unavailability of that app. If OWA was there, you wouldn't depend on anyone for your access.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Not necessarily, if your company is using something like exchange it's pretty straightforward but if it's using some ISP hosted web service for mail. Then you need to find workarounds if the easy set up wizard doesn't work.

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My company won't let me enroll into ActiveSync plain and simple. Shane on them but it is what it is. We just got our son an iPad mini so I downloaded the OWA app and I was able to get my mail, calendar, and person search instantly. I don't have this with Windows phone which sucks. I can't even use Edge to get the responsive site. There's nothing I can do at this point other than mail forwarding, dealing with crap view from Edge to make this better on Windows Phone at the moment.

LeeGoodrick

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm in no way affiliated with the author but there's a rather pricey app available called Corporate Email Client that can retrieve your emails, calendar events and contacts via OWA. It's pretty fully featured and is updated regularly but works. Like I said, it's pricey but i guess you need to weigh up the importance of getting work emails on your phone and the hassles that might entail vs the cost.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm in no way affiliated with the author but there's a rather pricey app available called Corporate Email Client that can retrieve your emails, calendar events and contacts via OWA. It's pretty fully featured and is updated regularly but works. Like I said, it's pricey but i guess you need to weigh up the importance of getting work emails on your phone and the hassles that might entail vs the cost.

It doesn't work if ur work email server has a certificate to authenticate. Pretty useless. One has to install the certificates to do it, that requires IT team which may or may not provide info as stated earlier due to various reasons. Android has something called push email, very easy and productive. Works like charm and FREE! I specifically moved ahead to android since it has better productive apps including those of MS like yammar and office

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Cloud magic for android does amazing job. Simple and syncs perfect with the device calendar

BTW, there is a much better OWA from MS in android.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes