IMO - Soft buttons are the worst thing to happen to Windows Mobile 10

ThermoDust

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
IMO - Soft buttons are the worst thing to happen to Windows Mobile 10. Let me be clear, this isn't from a I hate that fact that I don't have real buttons anymore or captive, granted, when I first made the switch to the 640 it did annoy me but that was just a habit thing that I got over. No, what I am saying the problem is how it is implemented in the operating system. While this issue doesn't happen in all apps it happens in a great deal of apps that I use.

The problem is the soft buttons just seem to interfere with the apps and force them to resize poorly. Or worse yet, they won't swipe away. Which is what I am experiencing in an application called Emby. In 8-8.1 you can swipe away the soft buttons without a problem. But in 10 you can't. Other issue I have seen is the spacing. The amount of space between the buttons and content needs to increase. Not by a lot but by a bit so they don't get squished together.

You could blame th developers for not updating to Windows 10 code or changing something but I am not. I am blaming Microsoft for making a change that affects old apps and has adverse affects on apps that worked in 8/8.1 and now don't work as well.

At this point it feels like Windows XP start bar on auto-hide. It is fine and works but it is just a tad bit annoying.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well.. as you said in your own post, the developers need to update their apps to Windows 10. Also, I could be wrong, but didn't one of the redstone builds fix the issue where the nav bar can't be swiped away in WP8.1 apps? If that's true, then once the redstone builds come to devices other than the devices that shipped with W10 Mobile, then that issue should be fixed for you.

Edit: I just want to address what you said here: "You could blame th developers for not updating to Windows 10 code or changing something but I am not. I am blaming Microsoft for making a change that affects old apps and has adverse affects on apps that worked in 8/8.1 and now don't work as well."

Software buttons were a necessity to get more OEMs to make Windows Phones, and they're quite cool, and work great on apps that were coded properly to support them. Microsoft shouldn't be blamed for evolving Windows Phone with the times. They shouldn't not add them just because some developers are too lazy to update their apps properly. This was a great change for the OS.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
IMO - Soft buttons are the worst thing to happen to Windows Mobile 10. Let me be clear, this isn't from a I hate that fact that I don't have real buttons anymore or captive, granted, when I first made the switch to the 640 it did annoy me but that was just a habit thing that I got over. No, what I am saying the problem is how it is implemented in the operating system. While this issue doesn't happen in all apps it happens in a great deal of apps that I use.

The problem is the soft buttons just seem to interfere with the apps and force them to resize poorly. Or worse yet, they won't swipe away. Which is what I am experiencing in an application called Emby. In 8-8.1 you can swipe away the soft buttons without a problem. But in 10 you can't. Other issue I have seen is the spacing. The amount of space between the buttons and content needs to increase. Not by a lot but by a bit so they don't get squished together.

You could blame th developers for not updating to Windows 10 code or changing something but I am not. I am blaming Microsoft for making a change that affects old apps and has adverse affects on apps that worked in 8/8.1 and now don't work as well.

At this point it feels like Windows XP start bar on auto-hide. It is fine and works but it is just a tad bit annoying.

If Windows doesn't make THAT changes, maybe we should be still on Xp on our desktops. Apps paltform changed on 10, and outdated apps will be broken time after time, build after build.
What you say is like people sayin "I prefer my old car because there's nothing strange electronic as abs, esp, edb, etc that could break one day or another"

ThermoDust

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Software buttons were a necessity to get more OEMs to make Windows Phones, and they're quite cool, and work great on apps that were coded properly to support them. Microsoft shouldn't be blamed for evolving Windows Phone with the times. They shouldn't not add them just because some developers are too lazy to update their apps properly. This was a great change for the OS.

With the app market and development of some current apps in the store that may never see an update for year(s)?, Microsoft needs to make EVERY effort to ensure every app that is currently in the store works well on Windows 10 Mobile. I know they will not hit a 100% on that but they can try.

What you say is like people sayin "I prefer my old car because there's nothing strange electronic as abs, esp, edb, etc that could break one day or another"

Not really. If you take the ABS idea, ABS works without extra interaction, for the most part. I'd say it would be more like having to brake using both foot and hand at the same time. Or instead of pushing down on the pedal you need to lift it to brake.

What I don't want to see with softbuttons is needing to swipe it away to interact with the rest of the content on the screen.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
With the app market and development of some current apps in the store that may never see an update for year(s)?, Microsoft needs to make EVERY effort to ensure every app that is currently in the store works well on Windows 10 Mobile. I know they will not hit a 100% on that but they can try.

Not really. If you take the ABS idea, ABS works without extra interaction, for the most part. I'd say it would be more like having to brake using both foot and hand at the same time. Or instead of pushing down on the pedal you need to lift it to brake.

What I don't want to see with softbuttons is needing to swipe it away to interact with the rest of the content on the screen.
And for the most part the apps do work.

What you're asking for is a bit extreme amd likely will delay windows10 mobile even more.

ThermoDust

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
And for the most part the apps do work.

What you're asking for is a bit extreme amd likely will delay windows10 mobile even more.

What I am asking for is a function that worked well in a previous generation to continue to function. Its not like the soft button is a small item in the OS. It is one of the main ways people interact with the content on their phones. It shouldn't be a source of interference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes