Sorry, but is there a shelf life of each W10M build? Because it sure seems so.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
don't recognize this scenario, if a build is bad for me, its bad from day one. i have been on same w10 build for months now, and is same it was on first day of installation, have you turned off all the diagnostic telemetry? that can provide a variable, sluggish feel (in feedback settings, change to basic)

The option to change to basic feedback is not available anymore in the latest Redstone builds. The only build that remained consistent and worked well for an extended period of time for me was months ago, I think I was still using a L930 then, but the recent builds on my current L950 have been very bad, or have gotten bad after a few weeks despite being ok initially.

I am beginning to at least look at other options to see what's out there, not ready to jump ship just yet, but the Sony Z5 is looking tempting, though too expensive for the moment.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
The option to change to basic feedback is not available anymore in the latest Redstone builds. The only build that remained consistent and worked well for an extended period of time for me was months ago, I think I was still using a L930 then, but the recent builds on my current L950 have been very bad, or have gotten bad after a few weeks despite being ok initially.

See? What on earth is going on? I knew I wasn't the only one.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
@Marconis4

It's not that bad for me like you experienced but builds definitely get worse over time.

Almost every new build makes me happy with it's speed and responsiveness but after a week or so I pray God for new release.

Allan Breum

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Maybe, those of you who have this problem have SD-cards with bad sectors on them. (I had a similar problem on 8.1, then i changed my SD-card, and the issues ceased)
Or your phones could have bad internal memory sectors (as you use the phone the internal memory fills up and the bad sectors might be blocking the running of apps)
Or your phones could simply be faulty.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Further to my above post about the poor experience on my L950 recently, my wife still runs a L930 and this too has issues with the latest Redstone build. It's unusual for my wife to pick up on any issues as she only really uses Facebook, WhatsApp and the camera of course (one of the main reasons for having that particular phone), but even she has had a rough time with the current build.

No SD card option in the L930, and don't have a card in my L950-32GB, so it's definitely not that.

WesleySmalls

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a 735 as well, running the latest insider build but I have none of the issues you have described. Sure, there are the occassional hick-ups but performance has been very consistent.

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
sorry but always have it at the back of your mind that you're using (testing) incomplete software prone to behaving like that. I have a 640 and a nexus 5X and both are running beta software with issues left right and center. The only way I keep my sanity and not throw my phone against the wall is that I know am using beta software and have accepted the fact that things can go wrong, I just try to find solutions (give feedback) and hope things get better with the next builds

alhadro

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing. Some builds that seem fantastic on first install seem to just go downhill after a while.. Sudden restarts seem to increase in frequency, hanging apps, things like that become more consistent. (Lumia 735). If the issue is the phone's low end specs, I'm not sure why it would perform so fantastic for up to a week. Almost seems as if some sort of memory leak that isn't really remedied with a restart.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing. Some builds that seem fantastic on first install seem to just go downhill after a while.. Sudden restarts seem to increase in frequency, hanging apps, things like that become more consistent. (Lumia 735). If the issue is the phone's low end specs, I'm not sure why it would perform so fantastic for up to a week. Almost seems as if some sort of memory leak that isn't really remedied with a restart.

Right -- this is why I don't feel it has anything to do with low end specs, because it does very well in the beginning of the new build. I've swapped my SIM back since I really hate using iOS in terms of UI, but I'm sure the issues will return.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
You said you are on latest Production build, but what you described happens with Fast ring RS builds, i face issue with the 14342 on my L1520 which were not there when i installed the build first, like phone app has been crashing on me more often now, messaging sometimes shows this just a moment screen for a few sec thou, but again im okay with his as these are fast ring build, didnt have no issue with the 10586 builds and those are the production builds, for me they were bug free but feature less, so i have compromised performance for features. hoping that the 14352 resolve the issues. if you are looking for a bug free build, go to the 10586 builds they are best and IMO are better than 8.1.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
You said you are on latest Production build, but what you described happens with Fast ring RS builds, i face issue with the 14342 on my L1520 which were not there when i installed the build first, like phone app has been crashing on me more often now, messaging sometimes shows this just a moment screen for a few sec thou, but again im okay with his as these are fast ring build, didnt have no issue with the 10586 builds and those are the production builds, for me they were bug free but feature less, so i have compromised performance for features. hoping that the 14352 resolve the issues. if you are looking for a bug free build, go to the 10586 builds they are best and IMO are better than 8.1.

Is 10586.318 not the latest production build?

pratok69

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I am now using a Lumia 640, was using a 925. I too have noticed degradation in performance sometimes weeks after a new build. I am referring to fast ring and production ring builds. I believe applications could be the cause. For an OS to be stable/ optimal, it and the applications must "harmonize".
I am only guessing and have no software experience other than end user. Perhaps an application has been updated or needs updated, Facebook certainly seemed to cause problems when installed....Though I am fairly certain I noticed the shelf life effect you are referring to.
Even though it is Windows as a Service I am hoping we will reach a stable build and hold for a period and apps can be optimized and devices can be optimized. For now it seems we are in a state of change which I view as a positive. We will get there, keep up the good work.
And I will remain " a windows fan with fingers crossed".

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I did notice that a couple of builds ago, but since the last update, mine is (10.0.10586.318), it seems everything is in order as I did not have any issues. Previously my phone would randomly restart at least twice a day, lots of app crashes and lots of screen flickering when using edge. Now all is stable.

BBurke33609

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I think that you've run into the actual circumstance that creates the situation. The insiders have become the actual the QA dept for the most part.

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
As much as I like Windows 10 Mobile, I'm experiencing the same issues.

I'm currently using a Lumia 550. At the beginning of each build I flash, the device lags and stutters like crazy. It's just not a pretty sight.

After a few days, the update seems to have settled a little bit and the device is actually usuable, although lags and stutter never really disappear.

After a few weeks however, things go south and the device runs just like when I flashed the new build. It lags even when sliding down the notification center. It lags when browsing around the UI. It's a pitty really, because this device was 'meant' for Windows 10 Mobile, so specs shouldn't really matter.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I agree the builds takes time to actually test everything, we seem to find new bugs in the software that used to work in the previous build. It's depressing when new builds come out and some of our phones don't receive them. Low phones or not, which is a shot in the arm for Microsoft, specially when the low end has been having problems with it's build and it doesn't seem to be getting fixed. Several times I wanted to show friends the phone and it's software, and several times the phone wouldn't perform what was needed.
This isn't a good selling point for the phone.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
prior to build .318 it seemed stable enough but I must say that I did experience two instances where w10m went slightly out of whack but I wouldn't call it show stopping.

Still it prompted me to at least power cycle the phone.

The two things I experienced are where the photos would show blanks and the people app as well would show blanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon