W10M and the anti OS brigade

Dante X

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think that the problem with w10m was the 950 and that not all wp8.1 phones could be updated, when w10m was released with the 950 the os was full of bugs and the phone didn't feel like a flagship phone. It has take some time the the phone and os work fine, now I think it work great. I do like what windows it's trying to do now, creating a universal core, so I have a surface a xbox one and a 950xl, but still, you can see why people don't trust what microsoft want to do, there has been years of pour marketing and general problem in the windows mobile world and the eternal "soon" from microsoft.

Enviado desde mTalk

This is exactly what I feel. I am a MS ******, but I am getting tired of the eternal "soon".

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Everything which became successful was "not quite useful at the moment", at some point in the past.

Apart that, I disagree completely. I have a great opportunity exactly now, for continuum...
Our IT blocked everything "Web Mail", that is GMail, Outlook.com, whatever, and they block all Cloud File Services. OK, I can have a look at the incoming private Mails on my mobile. But answering them, especially if it's a longer mail, or if I have to copy content from other programs into it, is a PITA.
So, Continuum comes to the rescue. Plug the adaptor cable in the monitor of my PC at work, get the BT Keyboard in the drawer, and work with my private mail, surf the sites our IT is blocking (no they not only block what you think ;) ), and so forth.

Uh, I forgot: I'm not working in a Bank. They have, at least in Switzerland, shut down everything already. Almost no internet, no USB Stick, no nothing.

Continuum is great already.

I am glad this works for you. My work around for similar issues is to use mobile tethering with my phone to my Surface to just have a full PC with internet access. If I wanted to type an email on my phone, it would work just as well to pair a BT keyboard without continuum and type on the phone only. It is nice that there are multiple options to work around problems. But I do not think working around problems is the same as having a function that someone cannot live without.

Nargg

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
The difference between WP8/W10M are not that big. .

Wrong, there are some MAJOR changes to the core OS. Windows 8 or 8 mobile both were big changes, as MS started to finally shed of the old code that was dragging Windows down. Windows 10 and Windows 10 mobile are again big changes to the core. Between 8 and 10 MS did keep some of the things on the UI that worked well, but not all.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
maybe its dumb to say this but I think a forum is mostly a shared knowledge troubleshooting guide, people come here to discuss PROBLEMS and get help, when the amount of problems reaches a certain level, this is what you get

I completely agree. In a tangent about the OP, just because some percentage of users enjoy the experience does not mean everyone enjoys the experience. People in a community can have vastly different experiences with the same OS and device. It is reasonable when it is a small percentage, and you will have occasional posts asking for advice. When you have a lot of users with complaints or bad news, I can see how it would bother the hopeful.

I can understand a little more wanting censorship if there were just people trolling in from other OS forums with stupidity. I think a lot of the complaints come from longtime WM users that are dissatisfied. Honestly, your average Apple or Android fan won't really care about what's going on in Windows Mobile if they even know it exists.

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
MS just has problems communicating.

They lie all the time. It is not a failure of communication. Promising something and then not delivering is not miscommunication, its 'I don't care' attitude.

Windows 10 has a plan to be finished with Redstone 2

Why release an unfinished product to the public? And even force them to upgrade? How morally correct is that?

There shouldn't be any hard resets either. MS needs to figure it out.

Mr Daniel Rubino and other writers here can put up an article on the frustration of doing hard resets instead of just telling people to do it all the time. And not just for the Insider thing.

MS is destroying its reputation. Reputation is exactly what makes people HATE on a company. They started doing well with rebuilding their rep after Satya took the helm. Now with forced upgrades, changes to services on the fly, even disobeying rules on other platforms by using notifications for ADS, it's getting a bit ridiculous.

From being a well wisher of Microsoft in 2012 when I bought Office, Windows 8 and a Lumia 920 - now I am so frustrated with the company I just hate it for being a control freak and a liar. Why did they need to force automatic updates? Can't open default browser from search? Makes no sense at all.

Microsoft thinks its too big to care but every one falls some day and I hope they just don't prematurely. But it remains that I don't care what happens to it.

calbro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
The consumer market is not lost and will always be present for anyone who has goods and services. Microsoft have a pretty long history with Bing, Xbox including services that compete with Amazon and understand that patience and diligence do pay off. The mobile sector is a trillion dollar investment so a ground up approach is sound it just take a while to build the foundation which is important because of the large base of OEMs and other partners will be dependent on this very foundation to build their Windows product line beginning with the Redstone update.

calbro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Agree and Redstone I am thinking will allow the large host OEM partners to bring new line of products to the market space with their unique apps loaded that help sell the product of which they have no trouble doing. I think this is where the Unversal App will prove to save a lot of time and be beneficial for the OEM partners which don't have to build separate apps of the same for different dimensions of products and perhaps speed up product release.

Last edited:

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I am glad this works for you. My work around for similar issues is to use mobile tethering with my phone to my Surface to just have a full PC with internet access. If I wanted to type an email on my phone, it would work just as well to pair a BT keyboard without continuum and type on the phone only. It is nice that there are multiple options to work around problems. But I do not think working around problems is the same as having a function that someone cannot live without.
YMMV re "not living without". I can even live with no banking Apps....yet many find it a dealbreaker not to have one.....

Re your workarounds:
1. Not everyone has a Surface as a Work PC. Most of us don't have Laptops, so tethering will not work, as there is no WLAN capability.
2. Taking the private Surface is possible, but why? You have your continuum enabled phone with you anyway.
3. Typing on the phone with a BT keyboard is possible, but it's a PITA if you have to use some other programs, or even Surf on that small screen.
It's just not like continuum. Continuum is great, it's like working on a PC....

Many things became "necessary" only after people found out how it eases things.

Mark Eggleston

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
many of the commenters are ancient BOOMERS, who use Linucks, and just come here to hate. They just wanna be alive when Microsoft dies.
Sorry guys, you wont live to see it.

norville2

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Living in Spain at the moment and every mobile phone shop has only Android and IOS, very few people here use w10m. That is half the problem trying to sell to people who do not even know it exist.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
They lie all the time. It is not a failure of communication. Promising something and then not delivering is not miscommunication, its 'I don't care' attitude.

Why release an unfinished product to the public? And even force them to upgrade? How morally correct is that?

Mr Daniel Rubino and other writers here can put up an article on the frustration of doing hard resets instead of just telling people to do it all the time. And not just for the Insider thing.

From being a well wisher of Microsoft in 2012 when I bought Office, Windows 8 and a Lumia 920 - now I am so frustrated with the company I just hate it for being a control freak and a liar. Why did they need to force automatic updates? Can't open default browser from search? Makes no sense at all.

Microsoft thinks its too big to care but every one falls some day and I hope they just don't prematurely. But it remains that I don't care what happens to it.

Sorry you're so frustrated, it's understandable. Maybe try a different OS for a while?

Greg Wenzler

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I see a lot of Microsoft "bashing" here mostly from those who have been with WP throughout the reboots, and they have grown tired of the waiting for a finished product. At least as far as WC goes, it mostly those who have invested in WP and don't feel they have much to show for it. Hard to blame them, I guess. I moved on around the holidays last year. I'd be happy to come back if I saw a true push on apps, and the return of fluidity to the operating system.

I'm guessing that there will be a solid test real soon, when HP releases their phone. If it's priced decently and gets some traction, Microsoft's plan to let third parties take over the W10M hardware side might pay off. But if HP goes bust on this phone, I don't see a valid path for W10M to make even the slightest dent in the market. I'm a bit intrigued with Continuum, but the market seems to have said "big deal." Microsoft NEEDS HP to be successful with this phone and show others that there is money to be made with W10M devices.

Scotty_doesknow

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I've seen quite a bit of "trolling" & "bashing" on many WC threads lately from both sides of the fan spectrum as well. The "bashing" appears to come from a select few Android users which ensues into arguing with others. The "bashing" also is created by dedicated wp fans that are upset by the decisions Microsoft is making for the future. People can be trolls & people need to vent right? Well if you add the well written series of articles entitled,"Is WP Dead?",& the "App Gap" (forget the authors name...sorry) you have a recipe for chaos because people either misinterpret or do not remain objective. Those articles are really great reads btw. Kudos to the author. My wish is that people remain objective. The field of tech is constantly evolving. Companies play out ideas some work & some do not. The clich?d expression there is no success w/o failure applies here. In addition to successes or failures companies are often tight lipped due to legal contracts and/or not wanting competition to steal ideas. I realize I may be rambling here, but many seem to ignore these elements.
As far as Microsoft goes, the pocket pc which ran windows mobile once owned a healthy share of the mobile market. A strong majority of this share, close to 50% (if I recall) was the business world. Guess what? Microsoft is returning to that recipe in a manner of speaking. The push for Continuum & vocal computing is where Microsoft is heading. It's brilliant to have OEMs push devices while Microsoft solely focuses on software. This will drive development on both sides of the fence.Microsoft is going to create a new tech category. It is a tough road for the consumer, but we have choices. If it's apps or ecosystems that pull you towards a platform by all means spend your dollars towards your productivity. In closing, I want to add this comment section was a pleasure to read because people are actually discussing rather than just cussing. Keep it going

Last edited:

finalrelief

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Competition is good, once companies get comfortable innovation settles down. I don't understand wanting a company to fail. If you don't like the product, don't buy it....

I don't want Apple to die... but I don't buy their phones/tablets. I like android but (please correct me if i'm ignorant) it seems it's capped out the way people use it unless they're going to merge Chrome OS/Android on the phones/tablets as well to create real pro-ish-like devices, and they're looking to VR as a new/innovating feature. The OS itself and form factors themselves still have room to grow/adapt to consumers in my opinion.

Cain69

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
As a W10M user I have many issues with MS.
1. Both 950 and 950XL are not well engineered. The iOS type integration you would expect from MS just does not exist! The OS and hardware are completely disjointed resulting in sluggish and, at times, frustrating experience. You click on, let?s say, weather tile ? you see a blue screen and then you are back to Start screen. You click again and same thing happens over and over again. SO, you just end up restarting the phone. It?s not just the weather app ? it happens on any app. Or if you click on an app ? the phone will just restart! It?s incredible the number of times the phone will freeze or just restart when you are receiving a CALL!
2. The ?resuming?? when switching between apps is ridiculous given the hardware both 950 and 950XL packs.
3. The apps SUCK! And I am not talking about third party apps. MS? own apps suck!! Now, I do not mind that they make Android or iOS apps ? but, shouldn?t the W10M apps be just as good OR even better?! Office, OneNote, Mail, and Lens are ALL better on Android then W10M.
4. When taking pictures ? after about five successive pictures it slows down to a crawl ?Saving? the picture or it crashes. By the time it?s done f?ing saving ? the moment you wanted to capture is well past!
5. Maps app is outright DANGEROUS! If you get a call while driving ? it goes to Start after the call! Then you have to fish about to get back to Maps?if it starts up at all ? you have to reenter your destination as it surely crashed while talking!!
6. In Edge ? let?s say you looked up Best Buy ? and you click directions. The Map app opens up and then crashes. Restart the phone ? search again ? and MAYBE this time Maps will work. Then later in the day you open Edge ? it?s still on the page trying to send you to Maps! Guess what, Maps opens and crashes! So, you have to open Edge and click tabs really quick and close that tab! The only saving grace is that the 950s are so f?ing slow that it gives you plenty of time to close the tab!!
7. On and on ? I can go on about every app they have! I do not think I am being picky when I expect my phone to take pictures without crashing or slowing to a crawl! Their own apps should work well. And they had like TWO or THREE years to put out a flagship!!
Replaceable battery is a feature for me. Guess what, you cannot buy one in US!! What is the f?ing point of replaceable battery if you cannot buy a replacement battery?!
So, why am I still with Windows Mobile. 950 and 950XL are the only two phones, that I know, natively record phone calls. I have tried a lot of Android Apps and NONE come close to the Lumias. As soon as I find one that does better or when they remove that feature ? I will be moving on to Android. It?s sad because I really like W10M. I like the tiles and many things they have done right. But at every corner you see half *** implementation or outright criminal management of Windows Mobile! It is a very frustrating experience. And you know what ? it doesn?t have to be. Only if they concentrate on their own Apps ? it would make this device great.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be as non-combative as possible. To those who are worried about the apocalypse, I suggest Googling, or Binging, the Prophet Marley's classic "Three Little Birds".

dodi779

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
although I found the 1st post quite good, this part is actually not true. windows mobile was never on top. not in the last 2-3 years, nor before that :)

it was only on top for us, fans, and by that i mean it was always on top to me! I'll stick with MS for a couple more Years, the money they got will never get lost :) sooner or later it has to bang!!

Peter Zanutto GSC

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
although I found the 1st post quite good, this part is actually not true. windows mobile was never on top. not in the last 2-3 years, nor before that :)

it was only on top for us, fans, and by that i mean it was always on top to me! I'll stick with MS for a couple more Years, the money they got will never get lost :) sooner or later it has to bang!!

Wrong, dead wrong! Windows Mobile had roughly 65% market share before Blackberry became the must-have device. Then BB took the lion's share until the iPhone caught on and that only lasted until Android took off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon