Can't See WIFI: Is it my 950XL or W10 Mobile?

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 950XL, running on the latest W10 Mobile production release (10_____) and I've noticed it consistently stops picking up certain wifi networks. My router pushes out about four or so SSIDs. One on the 2Ghz channel and the others on the 5Ghz Channel. It consistently sees the 2Ghz channel, but slips in and out of finding the others. During setup last night it found and connected to one, this morning I woke up and saw it disconnected... checked and it's in the history, but none of my other networks appear.

Does this sound like something anyone else has seen? Any help or suggestions?

Edit: A quick change of my search term and I see this has been mentioned all over this forum.... I guess no solutions yet then?

Edit 2: I should point out another issue. The reason I don't want to connect to my 2Ghz, is because at somepoint I noticed the phone stopped "working" on it. It'd see it, connect but get no internet, which was weird. All other devices worked, upgraded router firmware. But I'll sit next to my laptop, see all networks on it, but nothing on the phone. Connect to the 2Ghz network on both, but have the 950XL blank on getting internet.... Absolutely no issues when it connects to the 5Ghz, when it can...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 950XL, running on the latest W10 Mobile production release (10_____) and I've noticed it consistently stops picking up certain wifi networks. My router pushes out about four or so SSIDs. One on the 2Ghz channel and the others on the 5Ghz Channel. It consistently sees the 2Ghz channel, but slips in and out of finding the others. During setup last night it found and connected to one, this morning I woke up and saw it disconnected... checked and it's in the history, but none of my other networks appear.

Does this sound like something anyone else has seen? Any help or suggestions?

Edit: A quick change of my search term and I see this has been mentioned all over this forum.... I guess no solutions yet then?

Edit 2: I should point out another issue. The reason I don't want to connect to my 2Ghz, is because at somepoint I noticed the phone stopped "working" on it. It'd see it, connect but get no internet, which was weird. All other devices worked, upgraded router firmware. But I'll sit next to my laptop, see all networks on it, but nothing on the phone. Connect to the 2Ghz network on both, but have the 950XL blank on getting internet.... Absolutely no issues when it connects to the 5Ghz, when it can...

you've tried removing the wifi networks from your phone and adding them back?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
sounds like a signal strength problem, 5ghz is weaker when going through walls, weak signal normally fails to assign DHCP, 5ghz works since you can only get to it with a good enough signal, 2.4 probably not, your laptop probably has away better antennas too

it may be a lot of things, how many devices connected, how's the network set up, dont know for sure but maybe 950's dont have great reception , i've seen my 928 picking up a lot of wifis my icon and laptop couldnt even see due to distance

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I set up my APs with a balance to preference for 5G bands, under a certain threshold.
You could just not add the 2G SSID, or uncheck the "Automatically Connect" box, which would more or less force it to go with the others.

I had some issues, back awhile, with my 5G SSID becoming "invisible" occasionally. Going in/out of airplane mode pretty much always solved it, for another week or so.
I don't think I've seen this since before .318 though, it's been awhile.
I have two Unifi APs, really carefully surveyed/tuned, and my 950XL hops between them seamlessly, depending on relative strength. I think maybe once or twice I fell back to my 2G, when things went below my preference threshold, briefly.
If you REALLY want killer reception/throughput, get at least one Unifi AP, and disable the router WiFi, you won't believe the difference. Semi-pro is the way to go, hands-down. The management interface is clearly designed for large implementations, a bit cumbersome for 1-2, but it works fine, after you get the hang of it...
The AC LR is great for a single, and the AC Pro is nice for two, or you can mix/match them, the LR at a place where you need broader coverage.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's not the router, at least not by itself.
  • Not a distance problem as it happens when I'm in the same living room area of my apt (my apt is a 300 sq. foot rectangle).
  • I've tried forgetting/deleting the 5G networks when they disappear (the router puts out about 3 or 4 different 5G SSIDs). It still doesn't see them and won't add them even if I manually type in the SSID.
  • I've tried simply not or ever connecting to the 2G network connection, deleting, nothing. If it looses the 5Ghznetworks it simply doesn't connect.
  • If I reboot the phone, they pop back up for connection.
Here's my router for reference:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8500.aspx

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Go to "Airplane mode" and back, sometimes a few cycles.
This always fixes it for me, although I've only seen this once or twice, since .318 (nothing yet on .420 or .456).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes