Why are the download speeds so slow on the Windows 10 Mobile Store?

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Slow download speeds on Windows 10 Mobile STORE

NOTE: This query is specific to Windows 10 and for the purpose of this thread, just the mobile version as I've noted elsewhere that people tend to discuss solutions for Windows 10 PC. I can live with the PC issue as I don't carry the desktop around!
Besides poor internet speeds, would someone please explain in detail why it takes forever to download apps from W1OM store particularly on Wi-Fi? 8.1 was a breeze; I could download an app in no time but now on W10M it can take the whole week. If I wanted to use the new app straight away I'm doomed. This has to be the one thing I miss from 8.1 since my other issue, battery drain, is almost all resolved now with 14372.0
EDIT: On the same Wi - Fi, I assist my 8.1 friends with downloads and it's swift as expected

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Slow download speeds on Windows 10 Mobile STORE

NOTE: This query is specific to Windows 10 and for the purpose of this thread, just the mobile version as I've noted elsewhere that people tend to discuss solutions for Windows 10 PC. I can live with the PC issue as I don't carry the desktop around!
Besides poor internet speeds, would someone please explain in detail why it takes forever to download apps from W1OM store particularly on Wi-Fi? 8.1 was a breeze; I could download an app in no time but now on W10M it can take the whole week. If I wanted to use the new app straight away I'm doomed. This has to be the one thing I miss from 8.1 since my other issue, battery drain, is almost all resolved now with 14372.0

have you considered that your wifi might be an issue? Try a different wifi spot
Alternatively, you're using an insider version which isn't always glitch free. This could be an issue with the insider builds

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

I can update my friends' 8.1 phones on the same Wi - Fi with no issues. Even when I had to use the WDRT to rebuild one of my phones back to 8.1 the download speed was amazingly fast.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

It doesn't seem to me anyone else reported that iussue in forum.

My 650 is a rocket in Store.

It sounds like a back end server local problem in your country / area. Did you updated store itself first?

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

It doesn't seem to me anyone else reported that iussue in forum.

My 650 is a rocket in Store.

It sounds like a back end server local problem in your country / area. Did you updated store itself first?

Everything is on automatic update where there's Wi - Fi. The performance doesn't change even on work Wi - Fi which is a lot faster than mine. Unfortunately, I have few friends using Windows OS phones and none has tried 10 except my wife who is experiencing the same as well. This is more pronounced with the native apps. What perplexes me is the same phone when I'd rolled it back to 8.1, it was quick in grabbing downloads.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Everything is on automatic update where there's Wi - Fi. The performance doesn't change even on work Wi - Fi which is a lot faster than mine. Unfortunately, I have few friends using Windows OS phones and none has tried 10 except my wife who is experiencing the same as well. This is more pronounced with the native apps. What perplexes me is the same phone when I'd rolled it back to 8.1, it was quick in grabbing downloads.

WIn10 e Win8 Store are different and lay on different channels
I bet the local backend temporarly server iussue

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
common problem, not as hardcore as yours since taking days to download a simple app sounds like a very obvious hard reset reason, but overall for comparison sake I can download GTA V three times from steam before the w10 store finishes with killer instinct once, and i've noticed how my mom's 8.1 L822 downloads the exact same apps and installs them faster than my icon on 10586, cant report inefficiency as a bug though

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

Maurizio, kindly school me on how Win10 & Win8 Stores are different so I have a better appreciation of the poor downloads. Why is it other downloads e.g. Phone Updates and using mobile data are swift? Store apps are significantly small in size compared to phone updates yet they take forever to download?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Maurizio, kindly school me on how Win10 & Win8 Stores are different so I have a better appreciation of the poor downloads. Why is it other downloads e.g. Phone Updates and using mobile data are swift? Store apps are significantly small in size compared to phone updates yet they take forever to download?

well we dont know the specifics at microsoft's end and considering we dont know much about yours is hard to compare, if you really are taking DAYS to get a simple app and it has always been that way since installing w10m, do a hard reset, otherwise just try to live with it

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

If you dont quote, I cannot see you. Stores are separated. Win 8 Store is the same, Win10 is a work in progress. I appreciate their work , downloads are fast on my 650

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

If you dont quote, I cannot see you. Stores are separated. Win 8 Store is the same, Win10 is a work in progress. I appreciate their work , downloads are fast on my 650

On data connection, everything is all fast and smooth; issue is with Wi-Fi, could it perhaps to do with my ISP?

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
What i had felt in just different story..... My ATIV S take years to download apps and updates in wp8/8.1 era, my download stops countless times due to something like connection timeout. That s*it never happened when I updated to w10m. The download speed is not improve much (f**king slow compared with iOS/Android under same Wi-Fi AP)but the stability had a big step forward. But the overall download UX is not something worth to be proud of.....

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
This shall remain my non - ending pain with W10M; poor download speeds on Wi-Fi but okay on data connection. Every time I see an app update I know it may take up to a week before it's done. This now limits how many apps I can have or try out; gets worse when I imagine hard resetting with the intent to restore or re - install my favourite apps. My friends on W8.1 or non - Windows phones don't have this issue on the SAME Wi - Fi connection I'm using. My Windows 10 phones have this problem, L720, 925, 1520, 640XL & 950XL.

ZeMintCool

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I live to see the day this problem is resolved. Now I know what a die - hard fan means.:crying: I definitely don't like the other platforms though I do admire their hardware and I'm content to soldier on with the few available W10M apps BUT please let's have those updated efficiently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism