Update Lumia 1520 to win 10

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I heard the news that since 2 weeks Lumia 1520 is finally starting to receive update to win 10 in the US.
I'm in Bulgaria/ Europe.
When is the update expected to finally arrive here? It's been more than a year now!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I heard the news that since 2 weeks Lumia 1520 is finally starting to receive update to win 10 in the US.
I'm in Bulgaria/ Europe.
When is the update expected to finally arrive here? It's been more than a year now!

go to store, download upgrade advisor app, install and run - follow instructions. If it says your device is eligible for windows 10, go to settings >update and check for updates
Do a backup before updating
Get back to us on how it goes

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
That's not a real answer to my question.
Is the upgrade advisor app the only way to obtain win 10?
Isn't the old way - how I received 8.1 Denim still viable? The phone just says "update is available" and I can choose to install it.
I received Denim also very late - my colleague had it on his 930 months before me, so I was patient. until now, but I do hope to get some expected dates.

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Actually a quick question - are all of you in the US?
As I saw on a different place
"We can confirm that the Upgrade Advisor does mark the AT&T Lumia 1520 as Windows 10 ready and the system then proceeds to download the update"

I am not in the US, and definitely not AT&T customer, this obviously does not apply for me, and the update advisor will not be installed on my Lumia.

So If an official Microsoft representative could give some information on expected release dates outside of the US, that would be great.

Kenny Mc

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
i'm from Italy, here Windows 10 Mobile was available from March

Cannot install Upgrade Advisor. Error code C101b000

C101B000 mean a Windows Store Issue, check if your phone is updated at least at Windows Phone 8.1 Cyan, check date and time, turn off "Auto set date and time", soft reset the phone and finally try again. Hope thats help

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Right.

1) go to settings and click info. Expand the page by tapping more info. Have you got 8.1 denim?? You Must have this to upgrade to W10M.

2) try and download update advisor again.

3) if all else fails, install windows insider from store and use the release preview ring.

If you get no joy with insider, then something is wrong. You may end up doing a hard reset, or try WDRT (Windows device recovery tool). This will put you on the last known 'release' for your region whic will be 8.1 again. You can then start again knowing you have a clean OS to work with

Kenny Mc

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Worldwide 1520, like mine, was updated on first March wave.
2 week ago is started the update for only US AT&T Lumia 1520, the only one 1520 without Windows 10 Mobile update

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
For which models. My question is specifically for Lumia 1520, which started 2 weeks ago.
June 23, 2016 to be more specific.

AT&T's Lumia 1520 is finally getting the Windows 10 Mobile official update | Windows Central

windows 10 mobile was made available early this year for all eligible phone models, which included 1520, irrespective of which country you were from.

There were conditions such as your phone had to be on denim before updating
Second was the upgrade would only come if you downloaded upgrade advisor app and used that to check - this actually made your phone ready to receive the upgrade

So if your download doesn't work for the app - try a few times.

If it still fails - check back with us, we'll show you how to use insider program

To use insider programc - enrol into windows insider program
Download insider app
Install app, sign in, select release ring and follow instructions

before updating, make sure auto update of time is off and the time, date, time zone and region settings are correct

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the information Kenny Mc. After a phone reboot the Update advisor again refused to download.

But then I started downloading another random app to check if store still works for me, and "miraculously" the advisor downloaded.
It confirmed I am eligible for update. Started the download for win 10 just now.

PS: Very cumbersome system for update from Microsoft. The force us all to check and ask on how to update, instead of just click "update phone"...

Last edited:

Bozhidar Gyulmezov

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
It was a "security check" for avoiding people blaming "Oh my phone updates itself to 10 last night!!!"
Nope. He does not have a point there. The update to Denim was not like that at all.
It informed me that the Denim update is available, asked me what to do, and I chose to install it. Now it should have been the same.
Here I was not informed at all about the update, that my phone is finally come on the line to be updated, no information about the way I could update, so I had no way to know what to do, except starting to ask around forums...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Nope. He does not have a point there. The update to Denim was not like that at all.
It informed me that the Denim update is available, asked me what to do, and I chose to install it. Now it should have been the same.
Here I was not informed at all about the update, that my phone is finally come on the line to be updated, no information about the way I could update, so I had no way to know what to do, except starting to ask around forums...

I'm guessing the point that Chintan and Maurizio meant, was the poor rollout of Windows 10 for PC.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I'm guessing the point that Chintan and Maurizio meant, was the poor rollout of Windows 10 for PC.

that and the fact that denim was a small update, it barely changed anything for some devices. Windows 10 mobile is a whole reset of the design, core OS, apps and features

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Maurizio Troso View Post

It was a "security check" for avoiding people blaming "Oh my phone updates itself to 10 last night!!!"

or they don't want people with old phones upgrade to Windows 10 mobile :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)