How does Windows 10 Mobile now work with UCONNECT

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
So as the title says, I had my 640 XL on Windows 10 until early July when I reverted back to 8.1 for the following reasons:

Constant SD card errors and the inability to consistently read text messages through my cars UCONNECT system while driving.
Doing some research I found that re-formating my SD card to EX-FAT vice FAT32 or NTFS should resolve the SD card errors. What I'm trying to find out now is have the recent updates resolved the UCONNECT issue. Is anyone running the latest Windows 10 Mobile and connecting to UCONNECT having any issues with Cortana reading texts?

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not bad now. I only connect via bluetooth, so I have no knowledge of anything related to SDcard errors. But Cortana is pretty reliable now. It glitches every now and then, but I suspect that may be related to background noise. With WP8, the recognition rate for me was under 50%, and in many cases stunningly inept. Now it's a bit closer to 85%.

The other thing that's working well is with WP10 you can voice-dictate anywhere the keyboard is used. So you could start composing an e-mail, then press the little icon on the keyboard, and dictate. Obviously not while actually driving. :)

However, one major annoyance is that the WP BT profile now supports "messaging", and you can't turn it off. So when you get an incoming text UConnect will pop up its incoming text announcement and announce loudly that you have one, then a few seconds later Cortana will announce the same (sometimes at the same time), and then you can continue with Cortana. But you *have* to press the Ignore button in the UConnect popup, or it'll nag you forever. I consider it a WP flaw that I can't select the BT profiles to use for a connection, and a UConnect flaw that I can't turn off the messaging stuff at all. I don't know if UConnect has this same behavior with Siri.

Still way better than my wife's Mazda, which is pretty much brain-dead when it comes to Cortana.

Brad.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
bpsmicro:: Thanks, when I was on Windows 10 before Cortana would announce I had a text and read the first one if I requested it, but after that she would just tell me I had a text. No matter how loud or slow I asked her to read it she wouldn't. This problem does not seem to exist on 8.1. If it truly is fixed then I may have to re-install Windows 10.

danfam75

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
since anniversary update my phone doesn't even find my uconnect.
tried removing phone from Bluetooth, car from phone, rebooting, shuting car off and on.
Nothing!
Microsoft makes it hard to be loyal when my I-family is laughing at me

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
similar issues happen with my Lumia Icon (aka 929) and using Sync3 in my Ford Edge.
I get the popup and announcment that I have new message (prompt on touch screen in car).
then Cortana kicks in and announces I have a new message, then asks if I want to read it, ignore it or done.
I have not found anyway to keep the message prompt from coming up on the car touch screen or changing profiles on my Lumia.
Would be nice not to hear the announcement 2x, every time.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
since anniversary update my phone doesn't even find my uconnect.
tried removing phone from Bluetooth, car from phone, rebooting, shuting car off and on.
Nothing!
Microsoft makes it hard to be loyal when my I-family is laughing at me
Yeah I hear you. I finally jumped to the Moto Z Force and Android. Though I still prefer Windows its nice to have all my apps back, and a phone that works with my cars UConnect

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have used my 640 XL on the anniversary update with a 2013 Dodge Journey and 2015 Chrysler 200; it has effortlessly read my texts and streamed music from my phone. I strongly recommend doing a hard reset and trying from there. I did that with my 640 XL and it has been problem free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon