What does Battery saver do on Windows 10 Mobile?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I know it

1. Reduces display brightness
  2. Stops background tasks
  3. Stops push notifications

Does it do anything at a lower level? I was reading some Android phone reviews on Anandtech and there, the battery saver actually turns off CPU cores, offloads workload from the faster cores to the lower power cores.

Frankly speaking, I doubt that the above happens on our phones, because all this is hardware/CPU architecture dependant and I am pretty sure they didn't go to the lengths of changing/optimizing Battery saver for each device.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I know it

1. Reduces display brightness
  2. Stops background tasks
  3. Stops push notifications

Does it do anything at a lower level? I was reading some Android phone reviews on Anandtech and there, the battery saver actually turns off CPU cores, offloads workload from the faster cores to the lower power cores.

Frankly speaking, I doubt that the above happens on our phones, because all this is hardware/CPU architecture dependant and I am pretty sure they didn't go to the lengths of changing/optimizing Battery saver for each device.

For lowering cpu usage, there 'd be phones with hw capable throttling or big-little cpu's configurations (one bigger 4 cores + one smaller 2 cores, like Samsung, Huawei, Nexus flagships.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For lowering cpu usage, there 'd be phones with hw capable throttling or big-little cpu's configurations (one bigger 4 cores + one smaller 2 cores, like Samsung, Huawei, Nexus flagships.

Well, yes the Snapdragon 800 (930, 1520, Ativ S), 808 (950), 810 (950XL), 820 (HP X3) are all capable of this on paper.

I am more interested in whether the OS plays with any of these parameters when battery saver is ON. Bursting/throttling is different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon