W10M for education - 10 million students using continuum

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
What if a large group/institution decided they wanted to give their members windows mobile devices with continuum?
Say it's a government wanting to introduce all students to the digital world and they decided that a continuum device is the way to go.

The pros - fast mobile development and updates, no viruses, low chances of illegal stuff like downloading movies or such, continuum mode to help in presenting, highly mobile etc

I remember a country, Malaysia I think, deciding that all students would start using google apps for education, and that was millions of students

What if something similar happened but with a different country? Can you imagine 1 million or even 10 million students all using windows 10 mobile devices for all the education needs?

How would it work out? What would be the advantages?

Discuss below (20 marks)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is not yet ready to be forced onto users as a production solution. Down the road in a few years, maybe. But then who knows what W10M's direct competition will have available? Google Apps is ready.

Also, so far consumers have not like WP. Why would they now? While new features have been added, I do not believe that the pain points have been eliminated.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Continuum is not yet ready to be forced onto users as a production solution. Down the road in a few years, maybe. But then who knows what W10M's direct competition will have available? Google Apps is ready.

Also, so far consumers have not like WP. Why would they now? While new features have been added, I do not believe that the pain points have been eliminated.

as a high school student or even a primary school student- what would they need?

Onenote for taking notes in class
Office apps for different uses such as word, excel, powerpoint
Calculator apps
Camera for taking notes
Onedrive for storage
Mail for sharing things
Browser for research
Office 365 could be useful - if the O365 had amazing options for mobile apps
And the star attraction - continuum

Can W10M do all the above - yes, with good results

Does a student need things like snapchat or netflix? I would say no

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think it would be a nice idealistic idea but it would depend on the level of education. I can see it for high school possibly but I see issues when a project needs to be printed. I'm not sure about schools in other areas, but I can't imagine the school I went to having an effective printing solution.

Database usage will probably suck on Edge. I'm sorry but I do see that, and it makes it tricky.

For light general usage, it may or may not work out but this wouldn't be good for actual use, especially when it comes to writing papers in certain formats. I had to do a lot of MLA and APA in high school for papers and if I had to do that on my phone, let's just say that something will crack.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be a nice idealistic idea but it would depend on the level of education. I can see it for high school possibly but I see issues when a project needs to be printed. I'm not sure about schools in other areas, but I can't imagine the school I went to having an effective printing solution.

Database usage will probably suck on Edge. I'm sorry but I do see that, and it makes it tricky.

For light general usage, it may or may not work out but this wouldn't be good for actual use, especially when it comes to writing papers in certain formats. I had to do a lot of MLA and APA in high school for papers and if I had to do that on my phone, let's just say that something will crack.

In Kenya - the government wants to bring laptops to all class 1 pupils - by class one I mean kids at the age of 7, just starting proper school. I don't see them needing things like databases or printing and such
Even if it was a high school, taking the example of the one I went to, it was mostly notes, a few diagrams, some research, presentations etc. Very little of printing - but a network printer can take care of that

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile on a low cost laptop will be ideal for this, more so than expensive W10M phones that support Continuum. Such a device will be a good alternative to a Chromebook. A WinBook like this has several advantages over a Chromebook in that students can more easily move up to full Windows 10 laptop later, they can be introduced to Office suite early, and it integrate well with the rest of the MS ecosystem such as OneDrive, OneNote etc.

I cannot understand why MS don't allow W10M on devices with screen larger than 9 inches to compete with low cost Chromebooks.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile on a low cost laptop will be ideal for this, more so than expensive W10M phones that support Continuum. Such a device will be a good alternative to a Chromebook. A WinBook like this has several advantages over a Chromebook in that students can more easily move up to full Windows 10 laptop later, they can be introduced to Office suite early, and it integrate well with the rest of the MS ecosystem such as OneDrive, OneNote etc.

I cannot understand why MS don't allow W10M on devices with screen larger than 9 inches to compete with low cost Chromebooks.

But do we expect continuum to be expensive in the future too? Say 2 years later? The nuans neo was going for 300USD and it supported continuum. Surely prices can go lower than that

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
This thing is excellent for giving presentations and classes. Continuum powerpoint is great! And you have excellent youtube apps for videos, if you need websites there are good browsers, for showing images photos works fine. With Miracast it is the bee's knees! I no longer have to carry around my laptop 💻(which is cumbersome and I still use it for processor intensive stuff, games, gpu relsted stuff etc).

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
What if a large group/institution decided they wanted to give their members windows mobile devices with continuum?
Say it's a government wanting to introduce all students to the digital world and they decided that a continuum device is the way to go.

The pros - fast mobile development and updates, no viruses, low chances of illegal stuff like downloading movies or such, continuum mode to help in presenting, highly mobile etc

I remember a country, Malaysia I think, deciding that all students would start using google apps for education, and that was millions of students

What if something similar happened but with a different country? Can you imagine 1 million or even 10 million students all using windows 10 mobile devices for all the education needs?

How would it work out? What would be the advantages?

Discuss below (20 marks)

Kudos on the 20 marks rofl.

As a Malaysian student, I must say that the statement regarding "all students would start using google apps for education" is not really true, in a sense that it depends on which educational institution you're referring to.

Primary and secondary public institutions? No. They do teach us how to use computers, but most, if not all, of our work/assignments pretty much uses the old pen n' paper instead of type and submit online. For private ones, however, I've not a clue since there are lots of private primary and secondary educational institutions around, and all of them uses different systems (to differentiate between one another), based on where the institutions are located. Urban areas are expected to use modernized technology, so they do implement the type and submit online, but for those private schools built on somewhat of a rural areas or small cities, traditional pen n' paper is the way to go.

But when talking about tertiary education, I believe most of the institutions apply the type and submit online, with a handful of pen n' paper submission for subjects where hand calculations are necessary i.e. Mathematics. But coming back to your statement, I am unsure if all of these tertiary institutions uses google services for the submission procedures. I know that my university does wholly use a google based student e-mails and other services. I can't say the same for other college/universities here though.

But in Malaysia, implementation of Continuum might not happen in the nearest foreseeable future, since most of the educational institutions I've mentioned above already have their own computer labs, which I bet they've spent tonnes of money on, and I don't think they would want to replace that with Continuum just yet. My university itself had just recently updated the hardware of the computers in our computer labs, so I'm guessing no major tech change would happen just yet.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Kudos on the 20 marks rofl.

As a Malaysian student, I must say that the statement regarding "all students would start using google apps for education" is not really true, in a sense that it depends on which educational institution you're referring to.

Primary and secondary public institutions? No. They do teach us how to use computers, but most, if not all, of our work/assignments pretty much uses the old pen n' paper instead of type and submit online. For private ones, however, I've not a clue since there are lots of private primary and secondary educational institutions around, and all of them uses different systems (to differentiate between one another), based on where the institutions are located. Urban areas are expected to use modernized technology, so they do implement the type and submit online, but for those private schools built on somewhat of a rural areas or small cities, traditional pen n' paper is the way to go.

But when talking about tertiary education, I believe most of the institutions apply the type and submit online, with a handful of pen n' paper submission for subjects where hand calculations are necessary i.e. Mathematics. But coming back to your statement, I am unsure if all of these tertiary institutions uses google services for the submission procedures. I know that my university does wholly use a google based student e-mails and other services. I can't say the same for other college/universities here though.

But in Malaysia, implementation of Continuum might not happen in the nearest foreseeable future, since most of the educational institutions I've mentioned above already have their own computer labs, which I bet they've spent tonnes of money on, and I don't think they would want to replace that with Continuum just yet. My university itself had just recently updated the hardware of the computers in our computer labs, so I'm guessing no major tech change would happen just yet.

I found the article: Google: 10 million Malaysian students, teachers, and parents will now use Google Apps for Education | VentureBeat | Cloud | by John Koetsier, TUNE

So did this happen or it's still in progress?

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

Well, the first paragraph itself writes:

"Millions of Malaysian kids will be writing stories, collecting data, creating presentations, and organizing the future of their education in the cloud — Google’s cloud."

Notice the word "will". Basically it has yet to happen, but it will, I guess. As of this moment, no. It's not yet happening. Also, I myself did not even hear about this news until you mention it rofl. That must mean that it is still something that is on the works, but not yet widespread. Possibly to avoid the Education Ministry of Malaysia from being bombarded by Malaysian parents asking "When in Malaysia? Why all the false promise?".

Add to the fact that my country is in some sort of political turmoil due to the financial crisis, well, civil unrest may just occur lol.

Hope it doesn't happen though xD

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, the first paragraph itself writes:

"Millions of Malaysian kids will be writing stories, collecting data, creating presentations, and organizing the future of their education in the cloud — Google’s cloud."

Notice the word "will". Basically it has yet to happen, but it will, I guess. As of this moment, no. It's not yet happening. Also, I myself did not even hear about this news until you mention it rofl. That must mean that it is still something that is on the works, but not yet widespread. Possibly to avoid the Education Ministry of Malaysia from being bombarded by Malaysian parents asking "When in Malaysia? Why all the false promise?".

Add to the fact that my country is in some sort of political turmoil due to the financial crisis, well, civil unrest may just occur lol.

Hope it doesn't happen though xD

Governments are nearly the same everywhere - like I had mentioned earlier, my country, Kenya, promised laptops for all standard one pupils. Up to now, very few have received them. There are about a million kids in class one and that means a million laptops. Of course the media and parents have been asking several times but it's an election promise that was made in a hurry

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Governments are nearly the same everywhere - like I had mentioned earlier, my country, Kenya, promised laptops for all standard one pupils. Up to now, very few have received them. There are about a million kids in class one and that means a million laptops. Of course the media and parents have been asking several times but it's an election promise that was made in a hurry

Well, no perfect country I suppose. :/

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

LOL, in Italy govs promise that every 2 years XD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes