Are issues in windows mobile regionally specific?

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 Lumia 640's and 1 Lumia 640XL in my household coming up on two years now. All on T-Mobile. Living in Utah, I have had very few issues that people often complain about here in the forums. So last month we went on vacation to southern California and all three phones were unbearable to use. The maps app in particular would constantly drop satellite connection, freeze, restart, crash on all three phones. Often we didn't realize it until we had passed our exit. From Newport beach to Santa Monica my wife was fighting all three phones to keep the maps going to get us there. There were 9 drops on my phone in just the last 6 miles resulting in 3 u-turns and lots of frustration. My daughter's phone never found a satellite that whole day. It would always take us 3-4 miles just to get the turn by turn directions going. Other apps also struggled. Cortana often couldn't connect at all. The web browser was painfully slow. It was so bad, that if I had to deal with that on a daily basis I would have switched to android long ago. Back in Utah, everything works near flawlessly again. Has anyone else noticed or experienced this on a vacation? Is T-Mobile that bad in southern California? If it is the network, would we have had the same issues on a droid or IPhone?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central!

As for your questions, it is various things. To me, it sounds like the T-Mobile network there is either not as good in the area your family went to or it might be congested there. However, it can also be that the radios might not be as strong, which is device specific. It would have to depend on the particular Android phone, because those are also varied when it comes to radio strength. It may or may not mirror the same experience on an iPhone.

Also, I have a question for you. Are the 2 640 phones T-Mobile variants? If no, that introduces another angle as well. There's a long answer but the short one is that there's an additional LTE band only found in their 640.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
The two 640's are T-Mobile pre-pay phones from Wal-mart, with contract sim cards. (The Microsoft store and 6 T-Mobile stores near me were out of stock when the 640 first came out.) The 640XL is an unlocked AT&T I just picked up three months ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital