Should i buy Lumia 950 XL or HP Elite ? Or Move to IOS or Android phone

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Like the post above says it can happen to any OS. Google for a fix and it should not bother you ever after.
Also I have not encountered any Stopped errors in the last couple two Android phones I've used. (Nexus 5X on Nougat and Priv in Marshmallow.)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation as the OP. I recently got a 650 on a defective return of my BLU Win HD LTE. The phone is good, but... I am really, really getting tired of the app gap. I've been holding out because I truly love Windows phones. They are so easy and intuitive to use.

Can't stand iOS, period. Being a tech guy, people come to me with their tech issues. I absolutely hate it when they shove their iPhone in my face with some weird problem. Takes me forever to find settings, and such, because to me there is no logic or UI conformity in the platform. That, and you have to have iTunes installed somewhere. The one program I absolutely refuse to install on any of my computers. I would rather deal with ransom ware than have iTunes on my systems.

A perfect example is my neighbor: He always had a dumb cell phone, one day he asks me about getting a smart phone because his old phone finally died. I talked him into getting a Windows phone 8.0. It took him awhile to come to terms with it, and every now and then he would complain about something in it, and I would show him what to do. This went on till he got a new job and they forced an iPhone on him. About a week later he knocks on my door with a screwed up face and starts ranting about his iPhone and how much he hates it. How, for the life of him, he can't understand why people just RAVE about it and how he really never appreciated how nice his Windows Phone was for ease of use.

As for Android, meh. I too am in the camp of not liking the security issues that keep cropping up and making headlines. But it does fill the app gap, meaning if there is an iPhone app, there is an Android app. The app UI guidelines really aren't there, as some apps put things in one place, another could put the same in completely different place and again trying to find what is where is time consuming. And no iTunes required!!!

Personally, I'm going to hold out till the next major build of WM and the new phones (now that all the Lumia phones are gone on the MS store) to see what MS has in store for us. I'm really hoping that MS pulls a rabbit out of the hat to impress developers to port apps (personally I would like to see the ability to run Android apps on WM under emulation). But if not, I will most likely jump ship to Android.

I know I will miss WM deeply when that day comes :crying:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same situation as the OP. I recently got a 650 on a defective return of my BLU Win HD LTE. The phone is good, but... I am really, really getting tired of the app gap. I've been holding out because I truly love Windows phones. They are so easy and intuitive to use.

Can't stand iOS, period. Being a tech guy, people come to me with their tech issues. I absolutely hate it when they shove their iPhone in my face with some weird problem. Takes me forever to find settings, and such, because to me there is no logic or UI conformity in the platform. That, and you have to have iTunes installed somewhere. The one program I absolutely refuse to install on any of my computers. I would rather deal with ransom ware than have iTunes on my systems.

A perfect example is my neighbor: He always had a dumb cell phone, one day he asks me about getting a smart phone because his old phone finally died. I talked him into getting a Windows phone 8.0. It took him awhile to come to terms with it, and every now and then he would complain about something in it, and I would show him what to do. This went on till he got a new job and they forced an iPhone on him. About a week later he knocks on my door with a screwed up face and starts ranting about his iPhone and how much he hates it. How, for the life of him, he can't understand why people just RAVE about it and how he really never appreciated how nice his Windows Phone was for ease of use.

As for Android, meh. I too am in the camp of not liking the security issues that keep cropping up and making headlines. But it does fill the app gap, meaning if there is an iPhone app, there is an Android app. The app UI guidelines really aren't there, as some apps put things in one place, another could put the same in completely different place and again trying to find what is where is time consuming. And no iTunes required!!!

Personally, I'm going to hold out till the next major build of WM and the new phones (now that all the Lumia phones are gone on the MS store) to see what MS has in store for us. I'm really hoping that MS pulls a rabbit out of the hat to impress developers to port apps (personally I would like to see the ability to run Android apps on WM under emulation). But if not, I will most likely jump ship to Android.

I know I will miss WM deeply when that day comes :crying:

Agree with the OS side. It is freaking awesome the little WP be it 8/ 8.1/ 10 The support it needs to get from big guns at MS next to nothing.

Cant stand iOS with all its complexities and what not. Anyone with common sense will find it difficult to navigate through settings until they are with the phone for a long time. IMHO I think most apple users are too dumb to tweak anything for themselves until one day they have some problem. All they know is everyone is raving about it, there are plenty of fart apps and silly games, some very good essential apps and serious developers. I think they stick around because of the market share, popularity of the OS and the commitment of apple behind their product. Oh forgot the major detail about how they infringe on the original nokia developed patents and steal ideas and market it first like it is their own. I just hope Nokia's lawsuit will but a big dent in their easily stolen, gullible people's money. Their hardware is not worth the money spent on.

Just curious if you phone had a dumbphone all these years and he did an upgrade to iPhone because the carrier pushed it in his face, would he agree about the windows phone being easier to use? I ask because, when I talk to isheep who have had Iphones all their lives, they kind of hesitate to even try the windows phone and if not even go to an extent to say that even iPhone can do that!

Mr Tech guy educate me please as I have recently jumped ship to android. The security issues that make headlines only infects phones if the user is directly involved in the first step like installing anything from outside the app store or something like that. Is my assumption right or it can affect even my phone when I am careful not to do anything major and silly?

I am with on that last part, until Nutella comes up with some miracle phone (or not as we have other willing OEMs) to seduce developers (classy essential app developers and not the silly arty farty apps) and retain them for the long term, I will keep an eye out for the Nokia android flagship. I have my gut feeling that windows mobile will be more business orientated than for ordinary people and hence OS heading in direction of installing software instead of apps.
What do you think?
Cheers

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if you phone had a dumbphone all these years and he did an upgrade to iPhone because the carrier pushed it in his face, would he agree about the windows phone being easier to use? I ask because, when I talk to isheep who have had Iphones all their lives, they kind of hesitate to even try the windows phone and if not even go to an extent to say that even iPhone can do that!
No my neighbor still has his WP, as it is his personal phone. The company he works for issued him an iPhone for work. So he carries around 2 phones now. Oh, and an iPad. They were issued because of the company has an app that only works on iOS.
Mr Tech guy educate me please as I have recently jumped ship to android. The security issues that make headlines only infects phones if the user is directly involved in the first step like installing anything from outside the app store or something like that. Is my assumption right or it can affect even my phone when I am careful not to do anything major and silly?
Even in the google play store there have been apps published that steal information off your phone, contacts, sms, location, etc. Google is pretty good at kicking out those apps when it's discovered, but sometimes it takes awhile for someone to find that app. But sometimes they can't block those apps because in their EULA it states that this app accesses contacts, location, etc. But people don't read the EULA's and just click OK without realizing it. A couple of years ago there was a big stink about the number of simple "Flashlight" apps that people installed that were really just there to get your personal data (this type of thing was also in issue on iOS too).
I am with on that last part, until Nutella comes up with some miracle phone (or not as we have other willing OEMs) to seduce developers (classy essential app developers and not the silly arty farty apps) and retain them for the long term, I will keep an eye out for the Nokia android flagship. I have my gut feeling that windows mobile will be more business orientated than for ordinary people and hence OS heading in direction of installing software instead of apps.
What do you think?
Cheers
MS has stated that WM is going to be refined more for "business" use. i.e. corporate apps. With Visual Studio being pushed hard for developing Universal App's (apps written for the modern interface for Desktop, tablets, and phones). But from dabbling around in VS myself, it still takes more effort and time to design an app that morphs properly for every screen size, which is why on the MS store, you still find apps that are only for desktop.

If I personally do jump ship to Android, I will be looking for and affordable handset that is pure Android (like the Nexus and Pixel). I haven't really been paying attention to specific manufactures and models of phones, yet. But the one thing that does irk me about Android and Google is how much information they collect for marketing. But that is how Google "pays the bills" so you have to let them have it to play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon