Using laptops keyboard while projected Windows 10 phone's screen on it

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey, guys!
I have tried to project the screen from my Lumia 730 which is on the latest official w10m build. It works great, I can play music, play movies, show photos, read emails, etc. But I cannot use the keyboard of that computer nor its mouse.

When protecting PC to PC that would be possible as far as I know, but not from w10m to Windows 10 PC.

What do you think, is Microsoft going to bring this in some future update? That would be awesome, it would be like Continuum for cheaper phones, which would make them more appealing compared to Android phones of similar price.

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, those phones already can use bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse, so I could already project Lumia 730's screen with such keyboard and mouse connected, but what I was describing would be a cheaper option - I wouldn't have to have additional keyboard and mouse while projecting on a laptop.

Maybe we could make a suggestion for this in the feedback hub - if none has been created by now of course.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The casting you speak of is still a one-way thing where the display acts as a TV and the built-in keyboard and mouse doesn't factor in at all. I'm pretty sure I've heard the idea floated by MS before though, by letting one do Continuum to locked PCs. But that hasn't panned out yet.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your explanation.

I am sorry, English is not my native language, and I am not sure if i have understood you correctly. So you want to say that they could make this thing with keyboard and mouse possible?

At some moment I think how I understand almost everything in English, but then all I need to do is visit this forum to be reminded that my English is not as good as I would want to.😂

I like that fact about this forum.😊

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your explanation.

I am sorry, English is not my native language, and I am not sure if i have understood you correctly. So you want to say that they could make this thing with keyboard and mouse possible?

At some moment I think how I understand almost everything in English, but then all I need to do is visit this forum to be reminded that my English is not as good as I would want to.������

I like that fact about this forum.������

Frankly, if you didn't say so I wouldn't have suspected that your English was non-native.

So I'm saying that it is very well possible that the feature you're asking for be enabled for Continuum devices.
I believe I've heard about that feature with the use-case being approaching a locked Windows 10 PC and using it as a Continuum-enabled terminal while ensuring the safety of both the computer owner's data as well as the Continuum guest. But of course it's just an idea right now.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank.😊

Interesting, I thought this feature is already available for Continuum devices. That it's, that it's possible to have Continuum from a phone to a computer, and use this computer's keyboard and mouse. It appears that I was wrong. In that case, I hope both are going to get this feature.

Thanks a lot for your explanation!

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have used "Connect" on my W10 PC, turned on Continuum on my phone and selected wireless dock, then it acts just like the hard wired dock. The PC keyboard and mouse are fully functional for the phone.

I will say that there is a bit of lag and video quality degradation. The hard wired dedicated display, mouse, and keyboard experience is far superior.

Dell Inspiron 11 2in1, 950XL DS and both running 14393.693

Edit: I did not quote the OP and wanted him to get a notification so I copied this post to the quote, sorry for the duplicate.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey, guys!
I have tried to project the screen from my Lumia 730 which is on the latest official w10m build. It works great, I can play music, play movies, show photos, read emails, etc. But I cannot use the keyboard of that computer nor its mouse.

When protecting PC to PC that would be possible as far as I know, but not from w10m to Windows 10 PC.

What do you think, is Microsoft going to bring this in some future update? That would be awesome, it would be like Continuum for cheaper phones, which would make them more appealing compared to Android phones of similar price.

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, those phones already can use bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse, so I could already project Lumia 730's screen with such keyboard and mouse connected, but what I was describing would be a cheaper option - I wouldn't have to have additional keyboard and mouse while projecting on a laptop.

Maybe we could make a suggestion for this in the feedback hub - if none has been created by now of course.

I have used "Connect" on my W10 PC, turned on Continuum on my phone and selected wireless dock, then it acts just like the hard wired dock. The PC keyboard and mouse are fully functional for the phone.

I do not recall looking or finding this in the Windows Store, I believe it should be in you app list if your PC has this capability. I cannot speak to what would qualify your PC to be able to connect this way.

I will say that there is a bit of lag and video quality degradation. The hard wired dedicated display, mouse, and keyboard experience is far superior.

Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series 2in1, 950XL DS and both running 14393.693

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that information. That is great to hear! Regarding the image quality, that is understanding. I tried on Lumia 730, and I'd day it's satisfying, and on Continuum capable phone it should be even better. But interesting, on Lumia 650 it was somewhat lagish compared to 730, though who knows - maybe it was only because of something temporary.

Thanks a lot again for sharing your experience!😊

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yup with my Surface Pro 3, I tested with my 950XL and I can control the phone with the laptop keyboard, mouse. Usability seems very hit and miss for me on this though.

with my 930 with RS215007 I can't do anything and the connect app even says that it doesn't support input from the mouse.... In fact it's not even that smooth or fast at all.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Indeed, with non-Continuum phones you could only control the phone from the phone itself. Unless you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse I guess.

Regarding responsiveness, perhaps it depends of you WiFi connection on the phone. I don't know the exact specifications of those phones, but could that be that Lumia 730 had better WiFi than Lumia 650 and Lumia 930... Maybe that's the answer... On Lumia 730 it reacts instantly, while it does lag on Lumia 650 like I said above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs