Why Microsoft Windows Mobile Lumia devices don't support USB OTG, USB TETHERNG?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Where does it say they don't?

It's a security measure from my perspective to keep from globally opening up usb otg on the device.

One place on the phone it is supported from my perspective is under accounts for provisioning packages to the device. If you get a usb c to usb a otg cable and connect it with a usb drive. Go to connect to work and school part of accounts. You can see your thumb drive available when adding a provisioning package.
nxQSHVc.jpg

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Now from phone to phone tethering may be where it is limited. What type of tethering are you wanting to achieve? I am assuming internet...

Last edited:

Aravind Belagaje

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Usb tethering is not supported yet by wp and it won't seems much required. Unless you have a desktop which doesn't have Bluetooth as well as wifi. Usb otg is supported by newer Lumia devices like 650 550 950 and 950xl. And both of these are just needs a driver update or firmware update which Microsoft is not giving for older devices.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
USB OTG are only on newer Windows Mobile devices. Firmware are needed from manufacturer distributed by ota through updates or the recovery tool. I never found a use case for USB tethering. What's it for?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
most all devices you want to connect to phone data do not support USB tethering.
Most have troubles with Windows 10 and tethering.
Old technology

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I would not mind stealing internet from a Windows laptop if no wifi is available or vice versa. But like posted earlier, Microsoft makes sure to have granular control over things like that for certain reasons.

Maybe once hardened areas of the OS are stood up, they do. I think they should honestly. Even an iphone supports that right?

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Maybe you're using an older device. But W10M supports USB-OTG. I use it on a daily basis with my 950 and Idol 4S. Mainly use it to transfer files b/w devices via a USB thumb drive.

I do miss USB cellular tethering when I had my iPhone. It was jailbroken and I used the app MyWi which allows for tethering without paying your carrier to enable it. Could use WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB to tether, was really nice because it charged my phone at the same time.

Recently used interop tools to allow tethering for free on my 950. Love W10M's mobile hotspot feature compared to iOS, works so much better in my experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs