Here's one issue with IOS / Android - Outlook

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Recently been thinking of an IOS or Android switch. As I mention in a recent post on my blog - Is the Iphone the Future of Mobile? – The Perfect Reign - I'm wondering if the future belongs to Apple.

However, I still dislike the native IOS email. I know that Microsoft bought Accompli and adopted their email into Outlook for Android and IOS. Yet, it doesn't match security requirements as Accompli transfers email unencrypted.

Curious if that situation has changed, I tried to setup outlook on my son's Iphone to connect to my work email.

I still get denied with the message, Your mobile device has been denied access to the server because of server policies.

Bummer.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What is the issue? There is a Microsoft Outlook Mail app in the app/play store... You are not forced to use the built in mail apps.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What is the issue? There is a Microsoft Outlook Mail app in the app/play store... You are not forced to use the built in mail apps.
It's Outlook for iOS that he's having trouble with, not Apple Mail. I've had similar issues with my work email and the only way around it was to set it up as IMAP. That makes it a bigger chore because calendars and contacts are not synced.

There's this myth I keep reading here and other forums that MS apps work better on iOS and Android. It's simply not true. For most personal accounts or Office 365 accounts it works as well. But for other server types, Outlook on Windows Mobile is still the one to beat.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the iOS and Android Outlook apps route all (Exchange at least) emails through Accompli/MS servers, hence it being disallowed by some places.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have Office 365 accounts in 2 different regions Outlook for iOS/Android doesn't work either; a similar message but it comes down to how the app handles messages.

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the iOS/Android variants of the Outlook app, but there may be other server policies in play.
For example, Exchange can (and should!) be set up to require client machines to enable certain security measures. The most common one is requiring the client to have password protection. And where that's enabled, the administrator can require alphanumeric passwords, or allow numeric-only PINs. In both cases, the length of the password/PIN can be set.

And, where such a feature is enabled, Exchange doesn't support "picture passwords" and the like. While I haven't tried, that may very well extend to retinal scans or similar photo-based logins. Last time I looked this up, Exchange required an actual keyboard/keypad to be used to log into the device. And if not, you'd get that vague "server policy" error.

Could this possibly be an issue here?

Brad.

Desire Takawira

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the medical field and my institution has strict email policies. And I'll agree they flatout said they would not let my iPhone access email via any other client besides the Apple mail. So putting outlook sure enough resulted in a denial of service but the built in app from apple is flawless.

Interestingly enough, I have 2 Windows laptops, both of which have been using the outlook app for my work email until Creators Update, then poof, the whole thing stopped working. Seems MS screwed up creators update outlook because my IT denies changing their policies. Maybe the app is now routing through Accompli servers as others have suggested, which begs the question, what servers did it use before when everything worked, and why would MS switch servers now?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the medical field and my institution has strict email policies. And I'll agree they flatout said they would not let my iPhone access email via any other client besides the Apple mail. So putting outlook sure enough resulted in a denial of service but the built in app from apple is flawless.

Interestingly enough, I have 2 Windows laptops, both of which have been using the outlook app for my work email until Creators Update, then poof, the whole thing stopped working. Seems MS screwed up creators update outlook because my IT denies changing their policies. Maybe the app is now routing through Accompli servers as others have suggested, which begs the question, what servers did it use before when everything worked, and why would MS switch servers now?

Apple Mail is very far from flawless. Cannot read emails sent as attachments and there are no apps to do so. Forget about fillable PDFs, it's a blank page that requires you to have another app to open it via the "share" button. That's just on the receiving end. Cannot attach files other than 1 photo at a time from a draft. Can only send 1 attachment at a time from other file types.

If plain text and an occasional photo or video is all you're exposed to then yes, Mail works fine. Document handling simply isn't iOS's forté. Or is that fortè? C'mon Frenchies, help me out.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon