Windows Phone unable to reconnect to any WiFi connection

macewencan

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
I am running into a problem with three different windows phones (930, 1520, Elite X3) running Windows 10 mobile. They all seem to have problems reconnecting to Wifi connections. The phones can establish a connection, but are unable to get an IP address. Rebooting the phone "fixes" the problem. It happens with B, N, AC networks on many different types of routers with or without servers on the networks.

Deleting and recreating the networks does not fix the problem.

The basic scenario for this is to leave office/home go out and move out range of the network for a period of time of more than 15 minutes or so and then come into range of the network and try to connect again. The Wifi network connects but the phone can't get an IP address so networking does not work.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am running into a problem with three different windows phones (930, 1520, Elite X3) running Windows 10 mobile. They all seem to have problems reconnecting to Wifi connections. The phones can establish a connection, but are unable to get an IP address. Rebooting the phone "fixes" the problem. It happens with B, N, AC networks on many different types of routers with or without servers on the networks.

Deleting and recreating the networks does not fix the problem.

The basic scenario for this is to leave office/home go out and move out range of the network for a period of time of more than 15 minutes or so and then come into range of the network and try to connect again. The Wifi network connects but the phone can't get an IP address so networking does not work.

This is a odd one, do you have issues with the any WiFi network or just your home network?

If the latter, try adding the mac address of the phones to the router and specifying an IP.

if your not sure how to, if you can confirm what router(s) you use at home I can give you a detailed step through guide as opposed to a generic one :) as each router's interface varies from model to model.

macewencan

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Did the reservation thing on the router no change. When I come back to the WiFi network I do NOT get an an IP address. As before I see the GW and DNS but no workstation IP. Very weird

macewencan

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Any network. I go a client's office and I won't be able to get an IP address, I will have a GW and DNS addresses that are correct but no main IP address, it shows up as a 169.x address.

macewencan

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
It used to only be occasionally, with all the latest OS updates it is happening almost any time I go out of range of a WiFi network and then come back into either the same one or another known one (ie going from my office to a client office with a known Wifi network). I will delete the one for the client I am visiting this morning to see if adding it in when I get there helps with the problem. I need a fix though because when it's like this it means I have no Internet and I don't get any email notifications until I either disable Wifi OR reboot the phone.

macewencan

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
If I delete all the remembered networks at the office, go away and come back and recreate the network on the phone it will connect but not get an IP address. I just realized that it doesn't get any IP address info from the new network. It does maintain the information it got from the last WiFi network it was connected to for the GW and DNS but the IP address shows up as a 169.x and subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If I delete all the remembered networks at the office, go away and come back and recreate the network on the phone it will connect but not get an IP address. I just realized that it doesn't get any IP address info from the new network. It does maintain the information it got from the last WiFi network it was connected to for the GW and DNS but the IP address shows up as a 169.x and subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

Unfortunately other than interop unlocking and tweaking with the registery I don't have any solutions sadly. As we still cannot set static IP addresses....:grincry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss