Why Continuum failed?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
When Microsoft introduced Continuum with Windows 10 Mobile in 2015, they would have expected it to disrupt the mobile hardware business in the same way as iPhones did in 2007. But it happened to be nothing more than a ripple that faded away in few months. So, was it really a useless feature or was it a case of poor execution? This is what I will try to explain here.

Microsoft marketed continuum as feature that transformed the phone into a PC. But, a PC is not just characterised by a bigger display with a mouse and a keyboard. PC is popular because it has numerous applications developed over a period of more than 20 years. Without those applications, Windows 10 Mobile with Continuum was just a BODY WITHOUT SOUL. Personally, I think it was a foolish move by Microsoft to market Windows 10 Mobile as “a phone that works like a PC”.

Having said that, Windows 10 mobile was exceptional and way ahead of its time (if we ignore the initial crashes). To understand why it failed, we need to go back 30 years. It was 1980’s and Apple made it’s first computer. The only problem was, it was not a “computer” but a board. Steve Jobs realised his mistake and made a full fledged computer in the form of Apple II. W10M had a similar story. Continuum was a cool feature to have on a phone but where were the displays? No one wanted to carry a 14 inch monitor and a keyboard with them wherever they went. This was the main problem with Continuum and Microsoft should have addressed this issue.

So what was the solution? The solution was pretty obvious. Microsoft should have made TABLET LIKE STANDALONE DISPLAYS OF SMALLER FORM FACTOR LIKE 8", 10", & 12" with a built in battery. This could be attached to the smartphone when needed. Instead of marketing W10M as a “phone that works like a PC”, Microsoft should have marketed it as a “PHONE THAT CAN REPLACE YOUR TABLET”. We will all agree that getting a slightly bigger screen can be really advantageous in some scenarios like playing games, reading e-books and watching movies. But I am pretty sure that it would have proved much more useful than that once it had caught people’s attention.

I think that it was a golden opportunity for Microsoft and they just let it pass by. This is where great leaders can make a difference. Perhaps, in the world of big data, AI and quantum computing, the most important thing that is missing is “COMMON SENSE”.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft fails at marketing anything related to mobile right now, so anything that touches it will die until they are "ready". Their words, not mine...

They deny it, but all this Insider program, and small product releases (Continuum, Lumia 950, etc..) are betas that they are testing on the public to see where the interest lies, and to free up their Engineers from constant testing so that they can work on what MS feels is the future. Andromeda.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The whole W10m is a totally failed concept, so it's natural that other features related with that OS will fail as well.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Curious, in what way was W10M "exceptional and way ahead of its time"?

LOLOLOL! Absolutely none, except perhaps leading the industry in bugs and defects.

It was a feature that never really excited me to be honest.

I’ve owned a Lumia 950 for nearly two years now and never once have I even attempted to set this feature up or use it. I have absolutely no use for it.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I think MS failed to realize HOW people use their smartphones for work.

What do people do with their phones - they talk, send short messages and communicate visusally - send a picture or short video. Anything more - they might want to sit down at a desk top Files can be shared by using something like OneDrive.

Document writing, reading, presentation creation/editing, white boarding - you are not going to do it on your phone. You probably want to be still and at a desktop or meeting room.

I don't think Continuum really solved that difference. Or is was way too late in the game.

It's going to go backwards - Android the mobile OS will dominate the desktop world soon. Maybe Windows 8 Metro was ahead of it's time?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with the statement that Continuum has failed. I use Continuum every day for up to hours at a time. While it has limitations, there's no doubt that it's come a long way in the last 18 months.

Continuum hasn't failed. The Operating System and hardware that it runs on has failed.

W10M is dead. The Lumia range is dead. HP will probably kill the Elite X3 in the next few months.

Without continual OS improvements and without modern hardware to run on, Continuum is crippled.

From a hardware perspective, the Lumia 950 has only 3GB of ram. If there was a better phone with more modern internals Continuum would be a lot more advanced.

I truly believe that Continuum is still a big deal for Microsoft. If they want a "one device to do it all" solution they have to keep developing continuum for that phone to tablet to laptop to desktop experience

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
The Mobile Market we keep talking about with Android and iOS dominating over 99% for the majority are not solely looking for a single device for work. That would have been the Blackberry Crowd, business focused devices. However well before Microsoft attacked the niche market for that percentage, BB had already introduced us to Android via App emulation, then made the jump to software only. The market corner Microsoft was targeting was already transitioning or had just transitioned to a new device ecosystem already. I was one of them, but I had stuck with my BB10 device, with the hacked Play Store until I picked up a Lumia. Continuum was huge as it filled that gap in again so I was excited for it, and I still use it frequently, in fact I just recently added my second display dock to some sale pages for the wife's 950 I am selling. Had them setup on different displays so I didn't have to move them. It is an amazing feature and could've changed the market, but it was late, and has little support outside of Microsoft apps until recently.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with the statement that Continuum has failed. I use Continuum every day for up to hours at a time. While it has limitations, there's no doubt that it's come a long way in the last 18 months.

Continuum hasn't failed. The Operating System and hardware that it runs on has failed.

W10M is dead. The Lumia range is dead. HP will probably kill the Elite X3 in the next few months.

Without continual OS improvements and without modern hardware to run on, Continuum is crippled.

From a hardware perspective, the Lumia 950 has only 3GB of ram. If there was a better phone with more modern internals Continuum would be a lot more advanced.

I truly believe that Continuum is still a big deal for Microsoft. If they want a "one device to do it all" solution they have to keep developing continuum for that phone to tablet to laptop to desktop experience

Couldn't agree more. Up until 2 days ago I used Continuum on a daily basis as well. My use was made even better because I used Remote Desktop and I literally had a full-blown computer at my disposal. If Continuum "failed", which it did not, it's because Windows 10 Mobile "failed". That's like saying the Turkish baths on the Titanic were a colossal failure since only a few used it and only for a couple of days.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If it failed why are other makers trying to adopt the concept. It's relative to the user anyway. However, it was pretty much beta back 2 years ago. Continuum has come a long way. I personally only use the widi/wireless cast feature to our tv. I sold my dock with the elite x3 I had almost a year ago. Microsoft is different though in that its universal across all capable phones. Meaning any oem can take advantage of the feature and do what they want with it if needed. Continuum was a stepping stone Imo.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't say it failed because MS (as with their whole mobile strategy) only targeted a small slice of their audience. I guess i could never be a CEO because i just can't understand the logic of ignoring the largest user base of tech, consumer mobile. Not counting babies and small children but 90% of the world's population probably uses a mobile device and MS is ignoring them. Just don't get it.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It didn't gain traction cos it needed higher end phones to run properly, which we know WP didn't sell in vast numbers.

All these talk about how it's DeX is better, I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that people have only seen it on YouTube, and even fewer has actually seen DeX in person.

... !

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It didn't gain traction cos it needed higher end phones to run properly, which we know WP didn't sell in vast numbers.

All these talk about how it's DeX is better, I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that people have only seen it on YouTube, and even fewer has actually seen DeX in person.

... !

I’ve used DeX and I can say the ONLY feature that it has over Continuum is the multi-window capability. What they don’t tell you, or won’t, is that for all the flagship-ness of the S8 it doesn’t handle multiple windows very well. At all. Either the graphics card or the CPU, or both, are not up to the task.

You can bring Sofia Vergara to the dance but if she’s wearing a chastity belt it’s going to be a long night.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea who Sofía Vergara is!!! Had to Bing it.

The probability of meeting her is same as finding a phone retail outlet in a shopping mall here with a SSG Galaxy S8 readily set up (with a monitor, keyboard, mouse) to demo DeX. You'll be surprise how many sales assistance know what DeX is... almost zilch

... !

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea who Sofía Vergara is!!! Had to Bing it.

The probability of meeting her is same as finding a phone retail outlet in a shopping mall here with a SSG Galaxy S8 readily set up (with a monitor, keyboard, mouse) to demo DeX. You'll be surprise how many sales assistance know what DeX is... almost zilch

... !

My first thought was to reference Vida Guerra (Bing THAT one) but I figured Sofia was more popular considering she’s the highest paid TV actress. Hint: it ain’t her acting abilities.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Another one who reckons Continuum hasn't failed, I have a 28 inch monitor and a full set of peripherals and a dock for my 950XL.

Unfortunately on the other side of the monitor I have a Surface dock and it makes so much more sense to use my SP4 with re-sizeable windows and full blown Windows 10 than the 950XL.

In away I am still using continuum, my tablet magically turns into a desktop every time I plug it in and back to a tablet when I reverse the process.

I do use Continuum on the XL at odd times, but it would have been a much better experience if you didn't have to view the apps in full screen.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Curious, in what way was W10M "exceptional and way ahead of its time"?

Simple - with intelligent planning, a developer can make an app that runs on mobile desktop and interwebz all using the same code base. No need for a mobile API and a desktop API to be separate.

If it weren't for people stuck on the idiotic Start Menu released in the mid 90s it would have been more accepted.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
OK I was wrong Continuum has failed, mainly because Windows has failed, with a company that is prepared to retrench Groove, the whole lot is out the window not just Windows.

Shisters.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
OK I was wrong Continuum has failed, mainly because Windows has failed, with a company that is prepared to retrench Groove, the whole lot is out the window not just Windows.

Shisters.

Seriously? Continuum failed because Microsoft is going to drop a partial function of Groove. Maybe Nadella was in Dealey Plaza too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros