Skype on mobile no longer able to send sms

msanda

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
hey guys

quick questions. is anyone able to send and receive text messages via skype for mobile. This was working yesterday.

on another note. if this was just turned off, i am guessing microsoft really is self destroying w10m to get people off it asap.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I've noticed that the reliability of Skype has been going down the pan pretty rapidly.

I wouldn't rely on Skype on any forms of communication but unfortunately given some people I know refuse to use anything else but Skype... I have no choice lol.

We still haven't gotten presence controls back and the latest update doesn't give us back presence controls either for the store app or mobile app.

Instead of incorporating sms rely into Skype, they should have just seperated out messaging and made the sms app into a messaging everywhere app or hook it in for phones. That would have been so much more efficient and reliable.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
It's working perfectly fine for me. Running version 12.7.597.0 on PC, 12.4.717.0 on mobile.

We still haven't gotten presence controls back and the latest update doesn't give us back presence controls either for the store app or mobile app.
The presence controls are there for me. It's under the userpic at the top. No longer a dropdown, now it's two switches (do not disturb/busy and do not share/invisible).
Also new feature is that it shows how long people have been away (like 5 hours, 3 days) instead of the simple yellow clock icon.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Remember when you could send your location? Miss that...
Why hasn't Skype over taken WhatsApp? Oh yeah, MS does not want to lead in any area...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The presence controls are there for me. It's under the userpic at the top. No longer a dropdown, now it's two switches (do not disturb/busy and do not share/invisible).
Also new feature is that it shows how long people have been away (like 5 hours, 3 days) instead of the simple yellow clock icon.

Not there for me, since I have multiple emails I can check and almost all my contacts barely used the do not disturb function it's busy or away - neither show up.

The busy and away presence control has been merged with invisible / offline which is absolutely moronic.

Nor do I see how long people are away for in the UWP app after the last update, I know for a fact some contacts are away because I can see their status as away on the desktop app. In regards to the mobile app, no such update.

You may argue semantics but merging "away" and "busy" with invisible / offline has incurred sooo many issues for me.

Next update I bet you - they will re-add that yellow clock icon in the name of progress instead of admitting it was mistake.

Skype has lot all credibility and all sense of direction, you may say that is highly cynical of me however I will point you to the ill conceived service - Skype Qik, the removal of the messaging everywhere app and merging that along with sms messaging into Skype (which has caused no host of issues, especially now that they pulled the plug on Windows Phone 8.x without much warning) and now this ball of crap.

Instead of focusing on getting their real time language translation to the masses which enabled Google to beat them to the punch. If they wanted to connect people and change the world for the "better" then that is what they should have focused on and not playing jenga with basic features (which people have grown up with over decades) in the name of progress.

Now bar a few contacts, I have moved almost everyone away from skype and in a few months time - Skype will not exist in my household.

I need a communication platform that is reliable, has good video quality and I don't have to worry about updates removing basic features. Skype is no longer an option, to add that I'm not the only one frustrated. Imagine this being experienced by those who also have to use Skype for Business.

Which is another reason why Microsoft foregoing the consumer market is the most, absolutely, outrageous thing they could have ever done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes