Switching from lumia 540 and 640

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This week I decided to use a lumia 640 and ditch my 540. I didn't have any strong reason to do so but the experience in switching was interesting

My 540 was on W10M 14393.479 and wouldn't update any further - probably a glitch somewhere that could only have been solved with a phone reset.

The 640 was a new phone, purchased from USA as an unlocked AT&T phone. When it was started there were quite a few apps from AT&T

So the first thing I tried was downloading and running the upgrade assistant app - strangely enough it didn't work. It kept saying the phone isn't ready yet

So I found another way to do it, there's a program that can allow you to download the update files using your pc and transfer them to the phone using a cable -much better method that using wifi - I've lost the link though

Update process

The update process took about 3-4 hours, it first updated to 10586 and then 14393.1066

After updating I did a reset to get a clean install

After signing in and restoring my backup, I just let it continue updating and installing apps

Restore experience

• Most settings were restored such as background wallpaper, colour scheme, screen layout
  • Text size and scaling did not restore so my tiles arrangement was messed up
  • Ringtone was restored surprisingly, I didn't expect that - and it sounds louder
  • Even alarms were restored
  • Messages weren't restoring until I opened the app and signed in - then they started slowly
  • Some of my apps installed and were signed in already when I opened them - example 6tag
  • My email accounts were set up but I had to enter the password for all of them to get them syncing
  • Contacts were restored perfectly - no issues seen so far
  • I still had to remove some apps that I don't need like money and travel apps
  • The country map was downloaded in the background

Missing features

1. I can't seem to find the cellular data setting for forcing it to use 4G or 3G - was it removed? I had it on the 540

Things not working​

One reason why I wanted to use the 640 was to track my steps - I don't have a fitness tracker but I know using the 640 you can get the steps

So I downloaded fitbit but it doesn't seem to count the steps live. I can check now and it says 3000 steps and after walking all over work it will still say 3000. But if I check in a couple of hours, it would have jumped to 5000. So there's some delay in counting steps

Everything else seems okay, haven't copied the data back like photos or music

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Update:
Fitbit works only if you have internet connectivity which is poor programming on their part: I'll post a fitbit review soon

Surprisingly I got an OS update yesterday, got upgraded to 15063.279

Then in the morning a second update came through, now my 640 is on 15063.850

Rotation lock had an issue but a soft restart fixed that

Data counter with the new OS update doesn't seem to work yet though I'll keep monitoring

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Data counter still doesn't work - though if I hit my limit the message comes through

I still can't restrict data to either 3G or 4G - the network chooses what it wants

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans