Can't open PDF or word in Edge

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. For the last few weeks I can't seem to open any PDF or word docs in edge anymore in w10m. Anyone else seeing this issue?

I check for all updates reset the setting in edge but no luck.

Thanks

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what phone or what update you are on but others are seeing the same problem,
Use the feedback hub to report the problem
What update did you install that brought on the problem?

zorbabic

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Ditto. Same problem.
Can't open PDF files in Egde on Windows 10 mobile
W10M 10.0.15254.248
Edge 40.15254.248.0

PDF starts opening in Edge, stops loading. Blank PDF page is displayed for a second. Then a blank HTML page, and the file reloads. Blank PDF page is displayed for a second and then an error page is diplayed "This page is having a problem loading" with URL:
ms-appx-web://assets/errorpages/ErrorPages.html?error=100000#file:///C:/Data/Users/Public/______.pdf

Started about around 13 February. Don't remember if any updates were installed before it stopped working.

Z

Update: This is known behaviour as a result of February 14, 2018—KB4077675 Update to OS Build 15254.248
Source: Microsoft

Update 2: The workaround proposed by MS is to download MS Reader to view PDFs, but with 15254.248 installed, the store does not allow MS reader to be downloaded with a message: "Powered by great new features in the latest Windows update. Get yours today." and a buttom Get updated which opens https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=KSr_b-l8 for desktop Windows 10 update.
If you've dowloaded MS Reader prior to KB4077675 installation you'll be fine.
If you haven't dowloaded MS Reader prior to KB4077675 installation you'll have to install a 3rd party app to view PDFs.

Last edited:

akhinch

Feb 20, 2018
Visit site
I'm also unable to use Adobe Acrobat on them now. Same build. MS Reader is owned but not accessible and the "Get Updated" link takes me down the rabbit hole like zorbabic showed. Adobe is pointing the finger at MS because there's an issue with the files getting downloaded for the app to handle. Anyone have a work around? I haven't been able to get the files to download and today my PC is no longer recognizing my phone.

Batuska1

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Third party apps don't work as you can't choose the default program for opening a .pdf file.

MS simply doesn't care about its mobile brand users. I am pessimistic about how long it might be until MS fixes the issue.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Same here, been downloading the pdfs to decide and using xodo.

Annoying that they are breaking stuff rather than just leaving it alone

Andy Poulton

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Guys.
This was really bugging me on my 950 [among other recent loss of calendars e mails bugs galore] and I done soft resets, updated, downloaded more readers saved to one drive searched.

THEN saw the dates on this post.

Thank you I will leave it for now and get a life.

Cheers Andrew

malteseOne

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
alas, I have had windows phones from the very beginning of time, but to open PDFs is critical to me as a business owner. I now have to carry a third device so I can wifi tether just to open PDFs.

Quite silly, so this is the nail in the coffin for me, I finally have to become "one of them" and get an android phone. On the plus side I will have options to so many productive apps like pokemon go.

I think i will keep the phone and hope this is resolved soon. I wish i found this forum sooner because I spent hours trying to resolve this issue.

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Foxit MobilePdf is an outstanding pdf reader/editor, which is light years ahead of anything Edge can do. This is an ideal app especially for the business user

Sent from mTalk

Andy Poulton

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have enabled ALL the pdf apps. Now uninstalled them. They will not work as they are EDGE dependant
None will work as long as the fundamental coding error is there.
I did this before I found this thread.

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I have enabled ALL the pdf apps. Now uninstalled them. They will not work as they are EDGE dependant
None will work as long as the fundamental coding error is there.
I did this before I found this thread.
I don't know what you're doing but your assertion is demonstrable nonsense

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3