X3 vs Iphone 10

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
So I was sitting here drinking a glass of Pinot Noir. My dog came in the office and posed for me. I wondered what the picture quality would be between my Iphone X and my X3.

So here she is on the X3.

lwGKgX7.jpg

And here she is two seconds later on the Iphone X.

3OZCcZ4.jpg

Same lighting and no change in position.

So sad.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I was out in California this past January to visit my dad when I took this test photo on my 950XL. The bedroom I was staying in has heavy black-out curtains and no nightlight. The room was pitch black when I closed the adjoining bathroom door. I wanted to see just how well the 950XL would do in a no light situation with just it's flash. This is what I got. The only edit made was to resize for posting here. Original was 5344x3008.

ProShot_20180109_235420.jpg

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Wow, nice. My 950xl is at work so didn't have it handy. I should note that my picture with the X3 for some reason used flash. The Iphone camera used ambient light.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
sorry I find the iPhone too bright and white washed... the X3 I can see better like the patch of skin on your dogs armpits... or near there LOL but because the lighting is set so high on the iPhone you can see better in the room behind the dog... weird but I don't find the x3 pictures so bad lol but I'm not a picture guy...

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Wow, nice. My 950xl is at work so didn't have it handy. I should note that my picture with the X3 for some reason used flash. The Iphone camera used ambient light.

Will admit I do prefer the photo shot on the x3 as the focus is more on the subject matter, in this case the dog. Unfair comparison though having used flash on one while the other is w/o.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone's picture is quite soft (maybe it was the Pinot Noir) but at least I can see the dog's paws. Let's not kid ourselves, the x3 is in a constant battle with the Idol 4S for the title of worst Windows camera. Even my Acer Primo takes decidedly better shots than either of those two and that's not really saying much. If photography is an important feature, get a 950 or 950 XL and be done with it.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
sorry I find the iPhone too bright and white washed... the X3 I can see better like the patch of skin on your dogs armpits... or near there LOL but because the lighting is set so high on the iPhone you can see better in the room behind the dog... weird but I don't find the x3 pictures so bad lol but I'm not a picture guy...

Interesting, Tady 45, I very much like the one on the Iphone. Colors are brighter and more saturated. That was my biggest problem with the X3.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
If the Nokia folks had kept up with their technology I don't think you could touch their quality today. I haven't seen what they've been up to with the new Android phones, but you couldn't touch the camera on a 1020 for many years after it's release. Even then the pictures were outstanding, they were just slow, and the affects others added weren't available because Nokia wasn't working on them (or anything). My wife used to say it was almost impossible to take a bad picture with her 1020.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if owners of the X3 have noticed how the viewpoint is very wide compared to most cameras and the 950's. I have all these phones and my wife has the iPhone X. The X is absolute **** in low light. The 950's excellent. The X3 not so great. However, landscape shots, the HP wins most times. Portrait, the X is a killer. 950's in general situations is excellent. I also, WAY prefer the view finder of Windows phones looking at the entire screen as opposed the Apple/Android's box view which is terrible. Long live the Windows phones and cameras - all of them. Sometimes I am just glad to have mu X3 with me when I'm hiking. If you want to pick on a camera from Windows try the 640xl. I, honestly still love my 640 but the camera is shocking.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the iPhone but the Galaxy s9 beats all Windows Phones I have, even the Lumia 1020. You just can't beat the features and quality of a modern phone with a years old Windows Phone, that has no HDR, slow response times, crap panorama and other photo features that have become standard and easy to use on new phones.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Very poor comparison in my opinion.

One image used flash, providing more light to capture detail and added shadows.

The other image used no flash, and had to compensate by cranking up the ISO introducing a bunch of noise which than gets smoothed out losing the details.

Penther

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Were both taken without flash ? (i'd say yes given how high the iso seems)
The first one is quite dark, but if that's without flash that can be normal depending of your light sources... the dog's hairs are sharp but there's a little bit of grain on the background.
The 2nd one is much brighter, that's flattering to the eye but imo that's not so good if that does not represent the reality... especially since it seems a little bit burned, and there's a LOT of grain in the background. The dog's hait doesn't seem as sharp, but that might be due to small movements (phone or dog), especially in such a dark condition.
There's nothing sad here, both have good cameras. I'm just not a big fan of simulating daylight is dark situations.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
950 does NOT have slow response times. I can't comment on the 1020 as never had the opportunity to use it, but that being the ridiculous megapixels it was had a slow, 'development' time but the 950 and 950xl are super snappy. The X3 has HDR. In saying that, you are most likely right, how can we compare these two year plus old phones with current models? That photo of the dog above - one with flash, the other not, is not a valid comparison. One thing is true, is that the focus on the dog is not good at all, and that is a good example of how bad the X is in low light. I can tell you that the lens on the 950xl is superb, and hits a sweet spot with 20MP! If that was developed more, of which I think Nokia can now do as they have that tech back from MS, then watch out all phone manufacturers. AI still isn't there as you can tell from the Pixel 2 with it's artificial looking portrait mode. Inn saying all that, there is nothing compelling about changing from my Windows phones yet, and THAT tells a whole lot.

LWILLITS123

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
wp_ss_20180916_0001.jpgwp_ss_20180916_0002.jpg
950 pic from wife phone is inside hotair balloon
950xl (mine) is taco truck

I took a screenshot of each and uploaded from my 950xl so they would work in the forum. No flash on either and no enhancements by software.

hotair balloon pic was about 30ft focused toward my son on the right while in action. Taco truck was me taking a quick pic from about 15ft

950 and 950xl windows phone pics are awesome, and no delay. they take as fast as I press the camera button. Yes they have the all so awesome camera button!

Last edited:

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the iPhone but the Galaxy s9 beats all Windows Phones I have, even the Lumia 1020. You just can't beat the features and quality of a modern phone with a years old Windows Phone, that has no HDR, slow response times, crap panorama and other photo features that have become standard and easy to use on new phones.

I found the reverse. My S9 doesn't hold a candle to my 950XL or my 1020. I'm quite disappointed by the S9 camera to be honest. I'm more disappointed at Microsoft for screwing up the mobile offerings. There's a font that I refer to for that, 'Dingbats'. :straight:

LWILLITS123

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Both pictures above are in 5344x3008 resolution. Click each photo and look at the detail by pinch to zooming. That is a screenshot remember of the photos that both me and my wife took.

And the hot air balloon pic was with the kids playing and moving, but yet look frozen in time with no motion blur. Nokia tech in the 950 and 950xl is simply amazing at 20megapixels.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte