What are the options, if any? I have the default Windows Maps, which is great. Can download maps for offline use and it seemed fantastic until I realized it is absolutely USELESS at finding anything when it is offline. You can either resort to saved destinations or maybe point and click on a point on the map.
    Fairly limiting when all I have to work with are addresses of my destinations!

So, any options out there that have offline maps AND ability to search for locations and route it when I do not have a data connection?
    12-05-2018 12:52 AM
    What are the options, if any? I have the default Windows Maps, which is great. Can download maps for offline use and it seemed fantastic until I realized it is absolutely USELESS at finding anything when it is offline. You can either resort to saved destinations or maybe point and click on a point on the map.
    Fairly limiting when all I have to work with are addresses of my destinations!

So, any options out there that have offline maps AND ability to search for locations and route it when I do not have a data connection?
    Is this on a tablet, laptop, PC or phone?

I ask as you can indeed download offline maps on the PC lol and I have used Windows Maps app on my phone with no data connection as a sat nav just under a month ago.

offline-maps-pc.jpg

If it's a phone, which phone is it?
    As the cumulative updates for phones have been notorious as of late in nerfing basic functionality.
    12-06-2018 01:42 AM
    Is this not the Windows 10 Mobile forum?

Anyways, it's on a Lumia 650. Offline maps works fine, as in the maps exist and you can browse them. The missing functionality when offline is the ability to search for even a basic address, which kind of renders the offline capability less useful than it otherwise could be. It's about as useful as an old paper map.

I don't know if this is due to some OS update but honestly, pretty much any other offline map system I've used for Android or Blackberry can find addresses and even named sites with no data connection.

I found Sygic maps, but the Windows version seems to be a bit fussy to use. I'd rather use the built in Windows Maps, it's actually quite nice to use, in my opinion
    12-07-2018 12:02 AM
    Is this not the Windows 10 Mobile forum?

Anyways, it's on a Lumia 650. Offline maps works fine, as in the maps exist and you can browse them. The missing functionality when offline is the ability to search for even a basic address, which kind of renders the offline capability less useful than it otherwise could be. It's about as useful as an old paper map.

I don't know if this is due to some OS update but honestly, pretty much any other offline map system I've used for Android or Blackberry can find addresses and even named sites with no data connection.

I found Sygic maps, but the Windows version seems to be a bit fussy to use. I'd rather use the built in Windows Maps, it's actually quite nice to use, in my opinion
    Yes, it is however you would be surprised how many people post in the wrong place.

I asked so I or another mod can move it to the right section.

I've just checked and can confirm that functionality is no longer there..
    12-07-2018 03:51 AM
    Wow, I've been connected so much I never realized the offline search is that bad, lol can't even find my own house.

Even on trips and work trips, normally I'm big on setting up collectionsand syncing them beforehand. I like to avoid guessing where I'm going when I'm someplace new. Data so important now, I'm always getting a data plan locally and now I use a mobile hotspot that works globally almost everywhere
    John_Ruppenthal likes this.
    12-08-2018 06:29 PM
    It seems to work fine on my 950xl. Searched for address while wifi and cellular turned off
    12-09-2018 04:13 AM
    I tested Vancouver, found some downtown places but my suburb place like 20mins city roads away, not found.
    12-10-2018 12:47 AM
    Wow, I've been connected so much I never realized the offline search is that bad, lol can't even find my own house.

Even on trips and work trips, normally I'm big on setting up collectionsand syncing them beforehand. I like to avoid guessing where I'm going when I'm someplace new. Data so important now, I'm always getting a data plan locally and now I use a mobile hotspot that works globally almost everywhere
    yeah Map Search does not seem to work offline. at least on mobile.
    I will try it out on Laptop and see if it works.
    12-11-2018 10:41 AM
    It seems to work fine on my 950xl. Searched for address while wifi and cellular turned off
    In which region are you based?
    12-12-2018 07:12 AM
    In which region are you based?
    Well, I'm "based" in US, but I tried it in Ecuador.
    12-12-2018 03:52 PM
    Well, I'm "based" in US, but I tried it in Ecuador.
    I tried it in Cancun and west of it along the coast a couple years ago and it sucked, even in online mode. Lacked a lot of detail like roads, poi.... and my resort in like the Tulum area was non existent
    12-12-2018 10:10 PM
    I have no issues yet with the maps themselves. The app itself is very nice which makes it's bugs all the more disappointing.

I took it with me on my last business trip, hoping to use it as my primary navigation device. I had saved my primary stops when I had WiFi so no problem finding destinations. (Though that inability to search reliably offline is a big problem). That's when I ran into another problem. No voice directions!
    I even specifically set it to output from device, not Bluetooth. The directions were great but I had to peer at the phone all the time while driving because of the lack of voice prompts.

Fortunately I had a backup in the form of a BlackBerry device which saved my trip. Plenty of workable offline options and even the online maps will actually take me to destinations around 20km away without data, including rerouting on the fly.

When I have data, Maps is a great app, love it. grrr....
    12-14-2018 12:56 AM
    That's when I ran into another problem. No voice directions!
    I even specifically set it to output from device, not Bluetooth. The directions were great but I had to peer at the phone all the time while driving because of the lack of voice prompts.
    Are you saying no voice prompting in offline mode?
    12-14-2018 02:54 AM