Trouble with SMS backup for xfer

akhinch

Feb 20, 2018
Visit site
I'm finally pulling the plug on WIN mobile after 14 years because my Lumia 950 has started to malfunction and not work consistently with respect to phone calls and texts. Naturally, I'm having trouble moving sms to my new Android phone. I have tried 2 apps, contacts+message backup and WP Message Back-up and have run into issues.

contacts+message backup wouldn't run until I enabled messaging access but it just runs without doing anything. For the last 2 days, it quits without finding anything and it's currently been looking for items to backup for 45+ minutes with nothing to show.

WP Message Back-up took a few days to tweak and several hours before it was finally able to discover 26k messages, however none of them are more recent than 9/25. (I realize there is a 1k limit on the free version to move items, but without the last month it's not worth my $.) I tried limiting the downloaded messages to the last month in an effort to try and discover the missing period of msgs, but nothing. The pone also still shows more than the last month.

Anyone have any ideas on either troubleshooting these 2 apps or a different method of moving texts?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
A lot of us are going through this hell as we get ready to leave WP. Contact+Message app has NEVER worked on a series of four phones. It starts to work on the 67 contacts and crashes at 49. This is a notoriously buggy app.

I have used the WP Message backup successfully in the past. Now, nothing showing newer than August for one busy friend, and other incomplete threads with other friends and family. I've sent an email to the developer a week ago, nada.

There is a new app called BackupSMS, the developer saying he wrote because of the MS one crashing. Well, after churning six hours, it found about half of the threads I know I have.........and then can only export to CSV...........and then Libra Office couldn't do it because of too many characters in a cell. Bzzzt...........

There are a lot of instructions on how to get Outlook.com reveal messages, but that was a long time ago. Now hidden. They are all up on the cloud somewhere because WP Message Backup doesn't get into the phone if you run it from a computer. Windows 10 only.

I read that there is a messages XML file buried in the WP system, and I think I found four ways to find it............except MS apparently found the hole and has closed it up.

So MS basically has told us we aren't worth ****. They put out the super buggy backup program, they deny us access to the messages on d the cloud after being able to, and we are blocked from finding the XML file.......which is perfect to import to Android........after being able to.

Bill....ya coulda used Vaseline, ya know?

r
The

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Still no luck on getting my SMS messages back. I had to get my W10 lappy repaired before I could try WP Message Backup on it again. Same incomplete results as on two differerent W10 Mobile phones.

I have emailed the developer twice asking for help. Crickets.

I "unplugged" my 950XL before the New Year started. Now running a BB Priv with the Square HOme launcher. Looks like a WP! I will keep the 950XL for awhile even though it's still worth quite a bit on eBay, in hopes that I can recover the missing months of SMS's from family and girlfriends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes