Always Listening for Cortana

andreimihaicristian

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
That I know, but i think that this function will be very helpful. I mean I would be nice to give her tasks without touching your device. Here I refer to the high end devices such as Lumia Icon And 1520, armed with Snapdragon 800. To the others I don't thing it would be possible because it will dry their batteries within hours.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
That I know, but i think that this function will be very helpful. I mean I would be nice to give her tasks without touching your device. Here I refer to the high end devices such as Lumia Icon And 1520, armed with Snapdragon 800. To the others I don't thing it would be possible because it will dry their batteries within hours.

From previous post, the devices you mentioned don't have the specs. I believe Moto has a separate processor that focuses on the awake feature so it doesn't kill battery life.

marbig

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
While it would be nice, it's still pretty simple. Double tap the screen to wake, then just hold search. If my hands are out of the question and I really need it, I'm sure I could get away with using my nose...

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Even with the prior leaks, I am enamored with Cortana. However I see the OP's point. An always listening option would be very nice. The two button interaction, search->microphone, is not a good user interaction flow.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Even with the prior leaks, I am enamored with Cortana. However I see the OP's point. An always listening option would be very nice. The two button interaction, search->microphone, is not a good user interaction flow.
You don't have to press search then mic, you can just hold search.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
but wouldn't it be a source of vulnerabilities?
what if someone got a hold of your phone and start asking cortana everything about you?
we currently don't have voice distinction for individuals yet do we

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is my big concern: is Cortana going to have an always listening mode just like Google Now on the Moto X?
According to Joe B, there was a post on Twitter I believe on this. He said on release there will be not a option for always listening(at least on the Prievew version) but, they are working on it and it should come at some point later on phones that support it (low power listening mode, I believe it's based on the CPU in the phone, newer phones like the ICON/1520 would support it but, older ones like the 920/928 would not ).This feature could have a hit on battery life, but, that will have to be seen when the release with this feature actually hits..and what phones actually support the feature.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Like a previous poster mentioned, the Moto X has a special "thingy" (it's a technical term.) that lets it listen all the time and not suck down the battery. It's pretty sweet, to be honest.... when it works.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Like a previous poster mentioned, the Moto X has a special "thingy" (it's a technical term.) that lets it listen all the time and not suck down the battery. It's pretty sweet, to be honest.... when it works.

The new Snapdragon processors allow for this without an additional processor like the Moto X has. Not sure if the feature is available on the 801 chip or the 805 but the next round of top end devices will be able to take advantage of always listening

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine has the Moto X and while the "OK Google Now" recognition isn't 100%, it is pretty consistent when you say it clearly and are no more than 2 feet away from the phone. It actually has come in handy quite a few times from what I gather, but the primary thing that is useful is what google now offers, such as "wake me up in 20 minute" or "remind me to do thing tomorrow" or "call so and so". Cortana will allow all of that, albeit with the press of a button.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

It's just a low powered processing core dedicated to this since the X was Dual Core. Added the extra core so it didn't slow the phone down or put an excessive drain on the battery. Still, any phone with multiple processing cores can dedicate one of them to keeping an ear (microphone?) open for a key phrase while the phone is locked.

And as far as the security goes, I imagine if you lock your phone with a password, it'll behave differently.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

It listens and sends your conversations back to google.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon