Issue with Cortana "alerts"

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. So after a couple weeks of having Cortana set up I was disappointed that she never bothered to ask me questions on her own like learning where my home and workplace were. So I set these locations up manually.

After awhile I also never got any notifications from her reminding me to do things like "leave for work now.. " etc etc... that is until I launched Cortana and let her run in the background one day. Then the following morning I finally got an alert.

The issue I have is that once I have so many apps opened it seems that she gets shut down in the background on her own. Is there a setting I need to change to allow her to do her thing in the background? I recall when I had my iPhone there was a section in settings for background app refresh that I had to enable for some apps to properly do their thing.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Of course you have to let her run in the background in order to get alerts. To expect differently is akin to shutting off your phone and wondering why you keep missing calls...

Naturally, it's also necessary to allow her to run in the background to have her learn your habits. She consumes very little energy. On my Ativ S I'm getting about 50% better standby battery life with location always on and Cortana always allowed to run in the background than I was before the 8.1 developer preview with location always off and (obviously) no Cortana.

Alex Blast

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. So I've been with Cortana every since 8.1 developer preview came out. But she never asked me where my house and workplace were. I ended up having to set it up myself. Over a month has passed, and she hasn't learned anything about my daily routine... She never urged me to get to work, ever. And yes, I let her do whatever the hell she wants to do in background, even in battery saving mode. But she still doesn't know when I am supposed to get going.

Sent from my RM-846_apac_vietnam_203 using Tapatalk

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Generally when I am finished with an app, like email, I try to make sure I close it out completely by backing out of it and not hitting the start button. The only app I never do this with is Cortana.

If she needs to stay running in the background, why does she continue to close down? Sounds like there is a limit to how many apps can run in the background at one time and I keep going over the amount.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon