After Threshold, what will happen to "The App Gap"?

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have seen rumors of free upgrades to Threshold for Windows 8 PCs, maybe even Win7 PCs?

There is 1.5 billion PC's in the world, and many of them will most likely be upgraded, if the OS is good enough for people with W7 to actually WANT it...

Now with a common core, what do you guys think will happen to the "The App Gap"?
I mean suddenly Windows will be the biggest app market in the world...
Could we see an explosion of first-to-windows apps, and will developers focus more on Windows, even though the market share of Windows phones stays around the same?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There is only a subset of Windows users who want to use Metro or Windows Store apps. I don't know what the percentage is of users of Windows 8 who use the app store to download metro applications. I'm not sure what the solution is to that. Some people are classic Windows users who have actual disdain for anything metro and simply won't use apps, regardless of what happens. There are other people who just don't even realize how the app store and the metro interface work.

Threshold may have the ability to clean that up a lot and make the experience much better for some people, even convert some of the anti-metro crowd. But the biggest thing they need to do is seriously overhaul the store, and do it soon, now, yesterday. Drop the crap apps, and spam apps immediately. Make it very easy to find the app you are looking for. It's ridiculous how difficult it is at times to find things in the store (and sometimes in the xbox music store as well, although that isn't relevant to this conversation).

Do these things, and Windows 9 will become a much better place for developers to operate, and just may help as much as other efforts to attract developers, like the common APIs.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I agree metro on pc a joke for non touch screen laptops or pc.any information people want they browse nd get it.no use of apps unless they come with robust notification centre.
From Windows phone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon