Lumia Tablets

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Admit it-as far as tablets go, Windows 8 is sorely lacking. The Dell Venue Pro 8 is probably the best small tablet available to us, yet it can't compare to the value you get with the Nexus 7.
I think there's a simple solution to this. Microsoft continues to release their marvelous Surface Pro hybrids, and on the side Nokia(or that branch) releases a series of colorful, clearly Lumia marked tablets with Windows 10. The Lumia 2000 series.
7-in, 8-in and 10-in varieties with great screens, unique and colorful polycarbonate designs with features to set them apart from the run-of-the-mill Windows tablets(most of which are bollox) and a sub-$400 price tag. That way we have a good selection of Windows tablets directly from Microsoft.
If Microsoft released a Lumia 2130(or whatever) 7-inch tablet for $200-$400(obviously depending on overall quality and value) I would wholeheartedly buy it and be proud to own a Windows device on every front. Phone; tablet; PC. If Microsoft is realistically trying to connect every Windows device into one UI, shouldn't there be an affordable series of good, high-quality tablets widely available? Most of us can't casually shill out $900 for a Surface Pro 3(keyboard not included) let alone more advanced models and the Surface Pro 2's-although nice-still don't warrant the high price tag they ask for.
The Lumia 2520 was a good, solid tablet-with mistakes. It was released with only 4G, which severely limited the market. Also, a high price tag and performance that couldn't quite meet the Surface served to degrade the appeal of the 2520-overall a beautiful, great tablet. I want that same design and even better screens and performance in more affordable packages.

Market them side by side-Tablets from Microsoft, the Lumia series for the everyday use, the Surface series for heavy duty work. Lumia-tablets. Surface-hybrids.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How does the Venue not compare to the value of the Nexus 7? Don't get me wrong, but I fail to see the better deal.
Hardware maybe?

Hmm, creating a Lumia line of lower end tablets could be a nice idea. I would think that keeping Lumia on phones and Surface designs for lower end tablets is also another idea.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Windows 8 simply isn't optimized for a smaller screen-one. Two-general performance and screen quality. The Nexus 7 has a great screen for the price while the Dell Venue...average. Three-apps. Windows 10 will hopefully help with all of these though(well not screen quality that's up to the tablet, haha)
And maybe even two ranges of Lumia tablets-a budget end giving you great value for a very low price(sub-$250) and a high end range of tablets(around $400) that give you no compromises. The best tablets you can get...but not a hybrid like the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro 3 is built to replace your laptop. The keyboard is almost a necessity. The high price tag, high powered PC innards and large screen all support that. I would buy a Lumia tablet built to be a tablet and no more, or a tablet that can easily become a productivity tool like the iPad Air but can't replace a full laptop like the Surface Pro 3 can.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 simply isn't optimized for a smaller screen-one. Two-general performance and screen quality. The Nexus 7 has a great screen for the price while the Dell Venue...average. Three-apps. Windows 10 will hopefully help with all of these though(well not screen quality that's up to the tablet, haha)
And maybe even two ranges of Lumia tablets-a budget end giving you great value for a very low price(sub-$250) and a high end range of tablets(around $400) that give you no compromises. The best tablets you can get...but not a hybrid like the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro 3 is built to replace your laptop. The keyboard is almost a necessity. The high price tag, high powered PC innards and large screen all support that. I would buy a Lumia tablet built to be a tablet and no more, or a tablet that can easily become a productivity tool like the iPad Air but can't replace a full laptop like the Surface Pro 3 can.

IMO the performance of my Venue was terrific, the current Intel Atoms are on slackers. Blows the Surface RT I'm testing away and has better gaming chops than my laptop. sadly.
The desktop could be a sticking point, but i don't know, I loved it, that's just my experience.
Apps are definitely a weak spot, but on the flip side, you have full Windows!

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Apps won't appear in the tablet magically because It's called Lumia and not Surface.

Anyways, I think that's the plan, cheap Lumia tablets with the mobile OS.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Lumia 2520?

Like I've said, the Lumia 2520 simply isn't worth the price it asks. Most people don't need 4G on their tablets and the 2520 doesn't have a WI-FI only version. Plus...has a good screen. Not good enough though. For a cheaper price I can get a far superior screen and tablet performance. In fact that aforementioned tablet is what I'm going to be buying and using for a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs