Only 1 dedicated I.E browser for Live tile environment/desktop ??

Andrew Brown3

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Paul Thurrott suggest on an episode of Windows Live/Twitt( with Leo Laporte) that it was rumored there may be only one I.E browser from here on out or maybe he he was just referring tot he state of the Win 10 preview from the conference aftermath /testing it ...Either way regardless I'm not impressed nor happy. I.E Metro /live version to me is crucial and an a step in the right direction. I use a K400 keypad and also a Windows Tablet what has aggravated me is the desktop version of I.E i manually had to open up the digital keypad when in the Metro version I did not which was very nice and easy not to mention the lay out. Now with this Technical Preview not only am i hot shoted to the god dam desktop ( when i want to stay in the START Screen /Live Tile interface ) being forced to use the unyielding desktop I.E - which doesn't work well in touch or with the k400 touch keypad is atrocious! Crippling The Live Tile interface/Start Screen in favor of the desktop user is just flipping the coin and now i know who desktop users felt with Win 8. When the hell is Micirosoft gonna realize there needs to be a happy medium not just cater to 1 type of end user base without hobbling an aspect of the OS !!

As a Windows 8/8.1 user I want to distance myself and stay as far as way as possible from the god dam desktop !! So how is opening Live tiles in the STart Menu in the desktop ( floating feature - for desktop users ) helping me achieve this avoidance ? It isn't ! It's a slap in the face of the adopters/testers to Win 8/8.1 - It's not right at least Win 7 users had a choice not to jump to Win 8 as they hated !! Me as a Win 8/8.1 user i feel I'm being forced to stay and not being able to continue to Windows 10 if this is to be the path as i want to but cannot after using the technical preview !

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
This is a very early preview. The final RTM version will surely have more options for touch-based devices. You have nothing to worry about.

Andrew Brown3

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I realize that but there is a reason or well actually no reason to remove the Start Menu version of I.E browser !! And FYI Techinal Preview or not Microsft has already totted and bragged bout the floating windows on the desktop i just think it's stupid to allow those used to the Win 8/8.1 Live Tiles to have ther apps open as floating windows on the desktop and not full windowed experience as Win 8/8.1 offers !! So your incorrect in your post !!

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I realize that but there is a reason or well actually no reason to remove the Start Menu version of I.E browser !! And FYI Techinal Preview or not Microsft has already totted and bragged bout the floating windows on the desktop i just think it's stupid to allow those used to the Win 8/8.1 Live Tiles to have ther apps open as floating windows on the desktop and not full windowed experience as Win 8/8.1 offers !! So your incorrect in your post !!

Huh? You mean you can't click the three dots and go fullscreen? Did they mystically take that away, because when i was testing it on my MBA i could do just that.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
He means that Metro IE which is optimized for touch has been removed in favour of Desktop IE, which is not.

Ah, that makes sense. We don't really know anything about the future of IE, though, so he's just going from speculation from Paul and adding in the idea that they're not going t change the UI of IE even if there is just one version. There is, quite literally, no reason to believe what he believes. We know nothing about the new touch UI.

Andrew Brown3

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
He means that Metro IE which is optimized for touch has been removed in favour of Desktop IE, which is not.
thank you ...Mr.Goff seemed intent on trolling question with a question. As for Paul he actually heard they were only going to have one. Personally i think its a slap in the face to touch users. As is the whole function of Win 10 thus far in this preview

Ragazzochild

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Like Rasetech said, only one doesn't mean universal look across devices. Think about responsive web pages. The layout changes according to the resolution. Office 2013 also has two modes, touch & mouse. Windows is consolidating, but also becoming more dynamic.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
thank you ...Mr.Goff seemed intent on trolling question with a question. As for Paul he actually heard they were only going to have one. Personally i think its a slap in the face to touch users. As is the whole function of Win 10 thus far in this preview

Yes, asking questions and not understanding is now trolling. Also, the preview so far doesn't have much touch because the touch portion hasn't been finished yet. If anyone is trolling, it's the guy who is making a topic based on what he heard from Paul who only heard it from somebody else.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I do hope as well they have the DT and Metro versions of IE. Although the Metro version is still there in 10 it is hard to deploy through a script which after the last update no longer works. I used both versions equally and think MS should at least give us the option of using either one... It's already in the code...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I didn't listen to Paul Thurrott, but on a side note, you're already using just one single version of IE11. IE just switches UIs depending on the runtime environment in which it was launched. That has been that way since W8.

Since I didn't hear exactly what Paul Thurrott said, I can't comment further, but I would expect the same touch version used on W10 to be used on WP10. At that point, everything behind the UI would all be the same version of IE. Maybe that's what was meant?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Only having one does not mean that the UX does not change on different devices.

This

Going forward in Windows 10, there shouldn't be multiple versions of apps. Two Skype apps, two IE apps, two Lync apps, etc. is ridiculous and confusing to the end user.

Just like Windows 10 will adapt the UI depending in the device and method of interaction. So should each app. So if you are using IE on a touch screen tablet without mouse, then the touch friendly version will be shown. But when you dock the tablet and use the mouse, the UI should transition for keyboard/mouse.

This is how Responsive websites work. They are just one website that simply change based on certain factors like viewport size, screen resolution, device type, etc.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't listen to Paul Thurrott, but on a side note, you're already using just one single version of IE11. IE just switches UIs depending on the runtime environment in which it was launched. That has been that way since W8.

Since I didn't hear exactly what Paul Thurrott said, I can't comment further, but I would expect the same touch version used on W10 to be used on WP10. At that point, everything behind the UI would all be the same version of IE. Maybe that's what was meant?

Not really though, at least from a user's perspective, they were indeed two separate versions that acted independently of each other. In addition, the Metro version has some alterations to how it renders websites which is really stupid. For example, media queries. It basically ignores the screen res queries and scales the page on its own. This is really stupid for websites that are already optimized responsively. On the website I run, I had to add special code to the media queries to get the site to refactor correctly in Metro IE.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not really though, at least from a user's perspective.

I rarely speak from a user's perspective. I'm more interested in what's actually going on, rather than how things look to users. :wink:

It's literally the same executable running in both environments. As such it is literally the same program. What makes them look like two different programs is the variable UI, and the fact that they act independently, which is a result of them running in separate runtime environments.

It may look like two separate programs, but they are literally one and the same thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon