What sort of jump are we expecting to see from windows 10?

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Just a simple question. Is the jump in version from 8.1 expected to be as big as the jump from wp 7 -> 8? Im just wondering if we are going to get transparent tiles or a completely new OS. Personally i have built it up a lot in my head. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I dont think its a big jump from wp8.1 maybe a few features added because I think MS is focusing more on the PC version.

And also, unlike last year, news of the wp8.1 was everywhere and everyone was talking about it,there was even leaked video of it. And there will be a Joe Belfiore's tweet lingering around on every Microsoft/tech related news site about the the big change of w10 for mobile a week before its release that's if it has a big change

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree maybe some updates on action Centre /live tiles/live folders so some nice "windows dressing". I hope more that on the longer term the app gap will become smaller.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you look at Windows 10 desktop, a lot of phone features like Cortana and notifications have moved there. I doubt much moved back. Suspect Office Touch will be a big thing. Support for larger devices. Bluetooth mouse/keyboard support. USB OTG. More app APIs shared.

But less UI changes.

Could be wrong though :)

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
The reports are unclear.... I too would like the next big overhaul... but not a whole UI change. I don't know.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The leaks are all over the place. You couldn't even guess what will be added.. I'm pretty nervous myself but one thing's for sure I'm sticking to Windows Phone after wanting to switch to Android for the past couple of months..

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't reckon the UI will change much from the Technical Preview. A few tweaks for things like Notification Centre. And something happening with Charms (if there weren't hardware buttons for them on quite a few devices, I could see them being dropped). Don't think we'll see anything related to phones.
MS are so focussed on support for platforms other than their own that it would be nice to see something like Office Touch to reverse the opinion that they don't value their own operating systems. I doubt it though.
Maybe some news on US-only features being made available to a few more territories.
And with any luck, they'll be some kind of huge, massive, extra-special apology for XBM on Windows Phone.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Notice that "poor" and "great" are in quotes, denoting that the terms are not absolute values, but will change depending on the individual and their expectations. If during the presentation they announce several amazing things, but not the thing you were expecting, you can still have a "poor" experience.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It'll be nothing special. Those who expected some game changer will be disappointed. Those who weren't expecting much of anything will be all "told you so". It'll be anticlimactic and the situation isn't going to be much different than now.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It'll be nothing special. Those who expected some game changer will be disappointed. Those who weren't expecting much of anything will be all "told you so". It'll be anticlimactic and the situation isn't going to be much different than now.

I agree. I think too many people are setting themselves up for disappointment. Nonetheless, I'm curious to see what Windows Phone 10 will be like. Although I'm sure we won't see much about that today.

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Why are you so pessimistic? do you work for Microsoft to know it wil be nothing? then dont comment anything on it till it comes out!

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Security hasn't been this tight on a Windows Phone/mobile announcement since Windows Phone 7 launched. MS literally surprised everyone with the complete change of design (from what I can remember). I'm not expecting anything on that scale, but I'm betting we'll see some things that will get us pretty excited.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I really do hope that Microsoft has been listening to its user base and integrates some needed changes to put it ahead of Android and Apple. 8.1 was playing catchup, hopefully 10 will be the game changer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon