unable to use cortana even after correcting settings

TheFancyPanc

May 4, 2014
Visit site
For four months now I've been using an xperia z3 compact and love it but I easily get bored so picked up my factory unlocked HTC 8x once more to do a little gaming and there was windows 8.1 ready to be downloaded. I got all the new settings setup and went to Cortana and alas she is silent.

I have all my settings (region, language, and speech) set to english US but it still says that she can't help me in my region with the language selected. I made sure I rebooted the phone after correcting them still with no luck. Does it matter where you buy the phone from? I bought mine unlocked off of eBay and don't remember what country it was from. When I last reset the phone (memory issues) I might've accidentally selected UK English. Could that affect it at all even though its correct now?

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
No doesn't matter where you bought it from. In speech you should see other languages besides English US try deleting the others

TheFancyPanc

May 4, 2014
Visit site
No doesn't matter where you bought it from. In speech you should see other languages besides English US try deleting the others

In speech it doesn't let you delete any. Tried long pressing with no luck. Would setting up the phone initially with English UK instead make Cortana not work?

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Try it. When I set mine up it took a while with the different settings, I know I had to delete all the Chinese language stuff I could find and it then worked.

TheFancyPanc

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Try it. When I set mine up it took a while with the different settings, I know I had to delete all the Chinese language stuff I could find and it then worked.

I corrected my settings and fiddled around with the phone for two weeks and Cortana never uttered a word. I decided to factory reset my 8x. It's done and now I'm at the language selection screen and there is no English US! what? What language am I to select if I want Cortana to speak to me?

TheFancyPanc

May 4, 2014
Visit site

I corrected my settings and fiddled around with the phone for two weeks and Cortana never uttered a word. I decided to factory reset my 8x. It's done and now I'm at the language selection screen and there is no English US! what? What language am I to select if I want Cortana to speak to me?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

What region is the phone from?

HTC restrict the available languages on their Windows Phones and that is hard coded into the firmware.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Idk I had a bad run of sellers giving me wrong phones. Is there someway of finding out in the settings?

You could try settings or better yet the field medic app from the store. My feeling is that if English (US) isn't showing up then it's not a US device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3