W10M - New features listed (compared to WP8.1)

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do we have in windows 10 mobile that we didn't have in 8.1

Better UI, better multitask performance, and freezing screen on my lumia 720. XD

Worse UI, in my view. Now it's a kind of illegitimate offspring of WP8.1 and iOS. A kludgy bodge without the simple elegance of the original WP8.1 design language.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Better Skype integration
Voice to text for all text fields
No "resuming" on my 1520
Send texts and calls through a Windows 10 PC
Reply to messages from the notification center
Windows 10 only apps
Adjustable zoom
File explorer
Better search
... and other features already mentioned

Truth be told it doesn't feel like a whole new OS. There's a lot of neat new things but nothing that dramatically changes how you use the phone. To be fair, Apple has added a lot of new features over the years but it still feels like iOS6 to me.

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

one thing I could not do under the windows phone stock 8 email app was edit the contents of a forwaded email. Now, no problem in outlook under windows 10 mobile. Pretty sweet if u ask me.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I am starting to notice. They took a lot of stuff out. I bought her a surface 3 so she doesn't want the android. She is now inclined to stick it out and learn the new windows 10. What we are seeing is that they stripped away some really convenient things. Small things but appreciated for their convenience non the less.

I would not. I do not see the benefit to Continuum in my workflow. I would have to carry a keyboard, mouse, and docking station with me to accomplish what I could do with my SP3 and a cable. Not to mention I don't even need the monitor if I don't want it with the SP3. It is a neat idea, but less useful to me.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Better Skype integration
How so? I thought the first windows 8 Skype integration was pretty spot on. The app it self sucked and it wasn't simply due to bad networking on either end.

No "resuming" on my 1520
We don't get resuming but what we get is the phone (and the tablet) freezing up and crashing. Weird artifacts over the screen. We have to back out of the application and reload it.

You could do this before. This isn't new or necessarily better as far as I can tell. You could do this with any windows 8 and up device via Skype. HEll you can do it from onedrive.

Windows 10 only apps
There are just a few of these and they aren't the most popular ones. I would hardly tout this as a PLUS until it's worth looking at. Now drawing attention to it just shows a spot light on the fact that there is so little

Adjustable zoom
What do you mean by this?

File explorer
Eventually this came to wp8

Better search

Truth be told it doesn't feel like a whole new OS. There's a lot of neat new things but nothing that dramatically changes how you use the phone. To be fair, Apple has added a lot of new features over the years but it still feels like iOS6 to me.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

How so? I thought the first windows 8 Skype integration was pretty spot on. The app it self sucked and it wasn't simply due to bad networking on either end.

Skype now integrated into messaging app.

What do you mean by this?

Under Settings > Display > "Size of text..."

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

If nothing else, the new Windows 10 Universal Apps are far faster, start faster, and use less memory than Windows 8 apps.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site

I now have 2 Window 10 phones, but my main phone is still my 8.1 phone. I had the Window 10 phone lock up a few times, where I had to pull the battery, just to power cycle it. The 950 XL,
I just received for testing, my other Nokia 520 with Windows 10 responds much better then the 950 XL. Every time I go to pick up the 950 XL I accidentally press the camera button, which
is a pain, I setup double tap, it works much better on the 520 , then the 950. Texting is much better on the Windows 8.1 phone, then the Windows 10 phones. On the Windows 8.1 I can tap once
to open an app, the Windows 10 phones it's multi times to open the app.

Last edited:

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

Better Skype integration
No "resuming" on my 1520
Windows 10 only apps
Adjustable zoom
File explorer
Better search

That was the only reason for me to upgrade to WM10, the ability to voice dictate in Whatsapp and the calendar (and any other app that uses the keyboard). Plus, voice recognition is really great. Coming from Android, I feel that I have to do less editing of the final text.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I am missing HTC Sense TV to use the IR port on my M8.

HTC announced awhile back that the Sense TV/remote functions were being phased out and support was ending, which I'm sure is partially responsible for no such app function in Windows 10.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I would not. I do not see the benefit to Continuum in my workflow. I would have to carry a keyboard, mouse, and docking station with me to accomplish what I could do with my SP3 and a cable. Not to mention I don't even need the monitor if I don't want it with the SP3. It is a neat idea, but less useful to me.

I think the benefit here is being lost on application.

School / Education Scenario
In a world where every student has a phone, the school doesn't need to buy computers for libraries.
They furnish the desks with monitors and blue tooth keyboard/mouse.

I come to school and dock my phone and work on my assignment. When it's time to go, i grab my phone and take it with me.
I get home, I also don't have a computer. Just my TV, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I finish my homework at home, without needing to have bought a machine.

note: i am aware that our current phones are not powerful enough to run certain applications, but they can run the basic ones like, OneNote, Internet, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

The phone is already overtaking the personal computer for every day tasks. I know plenty of people who don't even use laptops or tablets anymore. They use their phones for Social Media, E-mail, Print Pictures, buy things on Amazon, watch Netflix, write documents on the train and edit/format them at home in a different application.

The media keeps reporting on how PC Shipments are droping and that's because people can now do what they always did on a phone...

The next generation won't care for having a Desktop, Laptop, Phone like we do. They will want to have 1 device that they dock and does what they want. Once they figure out how to put the power of a PC in the phone, people will be using Windows 10 Mobile to play XBOX by docking it and using a bluetooth controller. The dock will keep the phone cooled and charged (in a perfect world. :) )

In a business scenario:

The company buys you a phone and furnishes your desk with just keyboard, mouse, dock and display. Once again they will save hundreds of dollars in not buying a machine and you no longer need a laptop. Other places will most likely start offering docs as well as people carry their own personal computers for business or personal use.

Places like starbucks will probably supply the docks and screens to users who want to grab a coffee and do some work.

This would alleviate the users from having to carry a display dock or keyboards with them.

Of course we're not there yet, but we can see how Starbucks is already offering wireless charging docks for the phones that don't support it like iPhone and Android.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I am starting to notice. They took a lot of stuff out. I bought her a surface 3 so she doesn't want the android. She is now inclined to stick it out and learn the new windows 10. What we are seeing is that they stripped away some really convenient things. Small things but appreciated for their convenience non the less.

Yeah, for me all those small things they stripped out outweighed the gains. I could care less for Continuum. What was taken away makes it less of a smartphone and more of a mini tablet. What was taken out put it on par with Android. So why not just use Android and have access to more apps?

vishwas_prabhu

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

You want just what was added from WP8 and not what is different that available in the Android competition, so I will limit it to that.

1) Move the keyboard to half the screen for one handed typing.
2) Better Alarms/Clocks/Timers
3) Continuum -- higher end phones only

4) The best Calculator+Converter app

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
You can add more tiles to the home screen and the 5th settings icon column to the action center on a 4.5" screen. I just discovered this on my Lumia 920 running the build .107 using the scaling slider on the display settings where it says the 225% is recommended. I set it to the minimum and restarted, updated like 35 apps on the store following the restart and now I can have two wide tiles in a row.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
After 4 months of use 10 windows mobile, I can say that it is ok but Windows Phone is far better for my needs after long use both systems.
I'm going back to Windows Phone with my Lumia 640 XL and here's why:

* With W10M my camera did not work ok when it is supposed to take images of the highest resolution supported. Camera was resuming with the camera app I could not use camera app for video when it is used to record in the best quality at 30fps, and also lower quality . I had resuming and app Camera could not be used, I jhad to do reset on build 586.
* Windows 10 is slower, WP 8.1 is still flying pretty fast. Tiles animation is better for me.
* Some applications run slower on w10m such as 6tag, viber - notification and display incoming text messages on Viber. The handset and SMS to open more quickly.
* Cortana is much more stable on WP8.1 and faster. On w10m is crashing.
* The action of opening apps is too slow on W10M. Some apps does not start on click on tile, sensitivity of the screen is not good on w10m, on wp 8.1 sensitivity is better. I don't see a reason for that.
* Return or windows button are reacting faster on wp8.1. On w10m is resuming everything and all the time.
* Applications like WhatsApp and Viber are the same on this systems, only the FB is different, but here in wp 8.1 runs faster and better. Viber is not slow.
* Notably longer lasting batteries with wp8.1
* MUSIC is a far better player from Groove. Music allows you to make a playlist via computer using winamp a groove just do not see this list created from computer. It is difficult job to someone like me who likes to combine songs and must hand the phone to a song by song added to the list.
* Touch on screen better respond on wp8.1, double-click the screen turned on phone screen while on W10M not turns on the screen.
* wp8.1 is organizing photos better and according to date and not in hundred folders.

From w10m I miss the wordflow on Serbian and useful Action Center.
I also like what W10M has a background behind the tiles that can be transparent.
I'll see, I will test wp8.1 in next days. But unfortunately in my experience w10m is not satisfying. w10m is not fast enough and not so stable.
While on wp8.1 never knock anything and everything is going very fluid and fast.

Sanjeeva Nagmoti

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Speech for phone accessibility is missing in w10 compared to win8.1 so cannot say who's calling. Battery back up is reduced, silencing by flipping phone is also not there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon